Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First ever build: Bike helmet base

• 54 Replies

Kyle of the outer rim

• New, here to learn, help is always appreciated
First ever build: Bike helmet base
« on: Jul 15, 2020, 02:08 AM »
Hey all,

This is my first time ever doing a build and it’s a mix of excitement and anxiety haha

So far I have used an old bike helmet and removed the hard impact foam from the inside of the helmet.

Next, I spent a few days sanding down the inside and outside of the helmet with 120 grit sandpaper and used googone to remove the stickers

Then, I drilled out the rivets and removed the strap and sanded down the holes (should have done this before starting the sanding process)

After that, I used soft foam I bought at Hobby Lobby and made my own padding for the inside of the helmet. I only taped it in so I can play around with the arrangement of pads and the thickness of the pads to make it comfortable. Also allowing me to adjust how the helmet sits on my head

Then, I printed out the outer shell templates from the dented helmet, cut them out, taped them together, and mounted them to the helmet with painters tape

That’s all I have done so far and now I am looking for feedback on how the helmet looks and if there’s any adjustments I should make before I start cutting up the buckets.

Any opinion is welcome and any advice is always appreciated!  :D

(Note: the helmet does hit the back of my neck when I look up, not allowing me to look up very far. Also the template doesn’t meet in the back, there’s an inch and half gap between the two panels, will this gap be a problem?)

« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2020, 01:09 AM by Kyle of the outer rim » Logged

Jono999DERP

• Tahl Ca'Tra
Re: First ever build: Bike helmet base
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2020, 11:44 AM »
I cant wait to see you start on it!  keep us posted, okay?

Modern Era Pilot

Kyle of the outer rim

« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2020, 01:04 AM »
I cant wait to see you start on it!  keep us posted, okay?

For sure I will! Taking it slow so I can make sure I’m doing things right  ;D

Fragowump

• Victor Robles OM# 1937
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Award for 75 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2020, 02:04 AM »
For the gap in the back I usually just add some paper to the template and finish the piece so it meets, it's not super important where the seam ends up cause you'll be filling it in and sanding it smooth regardless but I like to have them line up on the outside of where your keyslots would go if you make them.

Where do your eyes and chin line up with the helmet? It looks a tad tall on you, which might be causing the movement issues.

Perpetually confused
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Brigade Wip: Heavy Melee

Kyle of the outer rim

« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2020, 02:48 AM »
For the gap in the back I usually just add some paper to the template and finish the piece so it meets, it's not super important where the seam ends up cause you'll be filling it in and sanding it smooth regardless but I like to have them line up on the outside of where your keyslots would go if you make them.

Where do your eyes and chin line up with the helmet? It looks a tad tall on you, which might be causing the movement issues.

Honestly it’s hard to say looking at it (as silly as that sounds). I’d say my eyes are in the higher part of the visor and my chin is maybe 1/2 inch from the bottom of the paper (ish). I can post a picture with and without the helmet if that would help

The Bearded Mando

• Run if you must, but you will only die tired.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2020, 12:48 PM »
Looking good so far.
mark your eyeline and chin on the template with a sharpie. looking at a light while the helmet is on will help you see the sharpie.
Make sure your are still able to track the centerline on the bike helmet, it will make everything easier down the road.
I cut the lower back of my helmet off with a rotary tool and a saw blade.
As Fragowump said, the gap in the back isn't important. the templates are not scaled for bike helmets or hard hats.
you will want to add some paper to the template to fill the gap, for when you go to trace them onto the bucket. Then add a little more 1/8" to 1/4" to the bucket because it is thicker than paper.
keep up the good work.

Kyle of the outer rim

« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2020, 05:17 PM »
Looking good so far.
mark your eyeline and chin on the template with a sharpie. looking at a light while the helmet is on will help you see the sharpie.
Make sure your are still able to track the centerline on the bike helmet, it will make everything easier down the road.
I cut the lower back of my helmet off with a rotary tool and a saw blade.
As Fragowump said, the gap in the back isn't important. the templates are not scaled for bike helmets or hard hats.
you will want to add some paper to the template to fill the gap, for when you go to trace them onto the bucket. Then add a little more 1/8" to 1/4" to the bucket because it is thicker than paper.
keep up the good work.

Thank you so much for the feedback. Your tutorial video is a huge help in answering a lot of questions, but I do have one that’s not answered in the videos. How do you find the center line? And how much sanding should be done? Do you just want a rough surface without any sealant left or should I sand even further? I just don’t want to sand off too much and end up with flat spots or compromising the structure of the helmet.

Also should I shrink up the template so it’s not as long/tall on me?

The Bearded Mando

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2020, 07:19 PM »
Often there will be a slight casting line down the middle of the helmet, that is what i used for my line. If not, tie some string thru the front holes (make it tight), measure and mark that as your center. Extend that down to the lip of the helmet. Repeat on the back of the helmet. That should get you pretty close. As far as sanding goes, your just want to rough it up a little bit, just enough to take some of the shine off. That will help the glue and paint stick to it.
After you mark your eyeline and chin, then see how much you need to shrink the template. Remember to allow room for talking without your chin showing below the template.

Kyle of the outer rim

« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2020, 08:21 PM »
Often there will be a slight casting line down the middle of the helmet, that is what i used for my line. If not, tie some string thru the front holes (make it tight), measure and mark that as your center. Extend that down to the lip of the helmet. Repeat on the back of the helmet. That should get you pretty close. As far as sanding goes, your just want to rough it up a little bit, just enough to take some of the shine off. That will help the glue and paint stick to it.
After you mark your eyeline and chin, then see how much you need to shrink the template. Remember to allow room for talking without your chin showing below the template.

Ill try the sting technique to find the center line.
I marked where my eyes are and where my chin is but my eyes do not line up with the visor. My eyes are a little below the bottom line of the visor and my chin is defiantly hidden when I open my mouth all the way, I think if I make the templet smaller it might solve the problem.  I also have a big head which might be throwing off the measurements.

Thank you for all of your help, I really appreciate it. Ill give these things a try and report back.

Kyle of the outer rim

« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2020, 11:39 PM »
So I changed the scale of the helmet a few different times and got it to fit better improving the mobility of neck. The problem I keep running into is that when I put the template on the helmet and put it on my eyes are not in the visor.

In the picture below the little piece of tape on the string shows where the middle of my eye line is compared to the visor on the template. The template is mounted a 1/2 inch on the helmet.

I’m not sure how to fix the problem, every time I change the scale of the template the visor hight doesn’t change.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can fix this issue?

The Bearded Mando

« Reply #10 on: Jul 18, 2020, 11:54 AM »
looks like your are not far off. have you tried reducing the padding inside the helmet on top?  see if that gets you closer. or try printing out a second set of templates and tape them to the first about 1/2" lower to extend the brow line above the visor area.

Kyle of the outer rim

« Reply #11 on: Jul 21, 2020, 12:37 AM »
looks like your are not far off. have you tried reducing the padding inside the helmet on top?  see if that gets you closer. or try printing out a second set of templates and tape them to the first about 1/2" lower to extend the brow line above the visor area.

I took your advice to extended the brow using another template and after 4 or 5 different scale sizes I think I have the final template!

Please let me know how the sizing looks, this is as small as I can go without my chin showing.

PS: I know the template is not centered, I will fix that before going forward

(My chin and eye line are marked on the helmet)

The Bearded Mando

« Reply #12 on: Jul 21, 2020, 12:47 AM »
  :like:
Looks good

Kyle of the outer rim

« Reply #13 on: Jul 23, 2020, 01:00 AM »
I’ve got a question, Im printing and putting the inner surface template together but it is a few inches smaller than the outer template. Hight wise. 

Should the inner template be the same size of the outer template? I have a feeling that it should be the same size but I wanted to check before going any further.  :D

The Bearded Mando

« Reply #14 on: Jul 23, 2020, 01:00 PM »
Did you account for the scaling and height adjustments you made to the outer shell template?

Kyle of the outer rim

« Reply #15 on: Jul 23, 2020, 04:32 PM »
Did you account for the scaling and height adjustments you made to the outer shell template?

I printed the inner template at the same scale as the outer template and added on the extra to the brow like I did for the outer shell but it still comes out smaller. I wasn’t sure if it supposed to be smaller (because when I printed it at the same scale it came out smaller) or if it was a mistake and I need to increase the scale to make it the same size as the outer shell. 

The Bearded Mando

« Reply #16 on: Jul 24, 2020, 08:06 AM »
the inner template should be smaller, but only by half an inch or so.
you can use the outer templates for the inner and outer if it makes it easier.

Kyle of the outer rim

« Reply #17 on: Jul 24, 2020, 05:19 PM »
the inner template should be smaller, but only by half an inch or so.
you can use the outer templates for the inner and outer if it makes it easier.

I made another template of the inner shell and scaled up the size so now I have the outer shell template and inner shell template, both are the exact same size. I apologize for so many questions, but why do you want the inner shell to be smaller than the outer? Shouldn’t they be the same size so when you cut the part out nothings hanging over the edge?

I really appreciate your help and time, I just want to make sure I’m doing it right.  :porg1:

The Bearded Mando

« Reply #18 on: Jul 24, 2020, 06:28 PM »
TBH I never thought about the height difference. I never realized it until you asked the question. I have always altered the templates in one way or another. Questions are encouraged here, so dont worry about asking.
I hope you are able to make progress on your build now, I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Kyle of the outer rim

« Reply #19 on: Jul 24, 2020, 09:21 PM »
TBH I never thought about the height difference. I never realized it until you asked the question. I have always altered the templates in one way or another. Questions are encouraged here, so dont worry about asking.
I hope you are able to make progress on your build now, I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Thank you my friend, I’m about ready to close the holes on the helmet and sand down the bucket. Hoping to be further along soon.
Thank you for all your help, I’ll post some more photos within the next few days  :D

Kyle of the outer rim

« Reply #20 on: Jul 29, 2020, 01:18 AM »
Update: Closing the holes

I spent the last couple days looking up information about how to work with fiberglass and practicing cutting before cutting out my squares for the helmet.

Last night I cut out my fiberglass squares and today I put in the fiberglass with the resin (first time ever working with either). I would say for my first time I didn’t do half bad!

Also sanded down a bucket today so tomorrow I can start the cutting process and hopefully meld helmet and bucket tomorrow!

Comments, questions, concerns?
Let me know!  :D

Kyle of the outer rim

« Reply #21 on: Aug 02, 2020, 12:41 AM »
Update: Inner shell

This afternoon I tapped on the inner shell, and after adjusting for a wrinkle or two I got both sides of the template level. I then traced on the template and (with some help) proceeded to cut out the template.

Took it for a dry run with some tape, next I’m gonna sand the rough edges and then mount the shell to the helmet.  :D

Kyle of the outer rim

« Reply #22 on: Aug 04, 2020, 12:58 AM »
Update: Riveted

Today and yesterday I worked on cutting the back of the helmet down and sanding the inside more along with creating some new padding inside.

With some help I riveted on the inner shell this evening, but I ended up with a little (and I mean little) bubble in the back that pulls away from the helmet a little. Right below the bubble in the back of the helmet is a little warped and bends in to the center of the helmet.

I got some other opinions and they told me that it’s not noticeable and isn’t a big deal but I wanted to get some second opinions from people who have scratch built helmets before.

Please let me know if you see the bend and the bubble and if it needs to be fixed or if they are okay.

I really appreciate it.

In the bottom left of the photo above you can kinda see how the curve is different due to that part being pulled in because of the bucket/helmets shape

On the bottom right of the image above you can see the bubble

Close up of the bubble

« Reply #23 on: Aug 04, 2020, 06:42 AM »
I can see the bubble.  It is on the back of the helmet and you will be bondoing the ever loving crap out of it when you get to that point, however you could potentially smooth it out with a little heat if you didn't what to attempt filler to smooth it out, but you will need to use filler anyway.

The Bearded Mando

« Reply #24 on: Aug 04, 2020, 02:39 PM »
Dont sweat it. I have a couple patches like that on the helmet I am working on. Hardly noticeable after bondo and primer. Will be even less so once i paint and weather it. Looking good so far. :like:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!