Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Flightsuit Pattern Adjustments

• 2 Replies
Flightsuit Pattern Adjustments
« on: Jul 21, 2020, 12:16 PM »
I've purchased the flight suit pattern that's available on Etsy (https://www.etsy.com/listing/769544115/the-mandalorian-soft-parts-patterns?ref=hp_rv-3&bes=1) and need to adjust it to fit my body measurements. Would be nice if there was a magical way I could just enter my measurements into a program and have the patterns "rubbersheet" to my body shape, but I know that's not going to happen.

So, I  plan on enlarging them in width for my body circumferences as compared to the measurements supplied by the pattern designer for Pedro Pascal's body size. I'm concerned about what that might do for things like the attachment "holes" for the neck and the arms for the shirt and the waist for the pants- as many of those openings on partial pattern parts are elliptical or curved. It'll get me close, but I think it'll require further adjustment.

So, what I'm thinking about doing is getting some cheaper fabric, like muslin, and doing a "test fit" for my adjusted pattern, without any topstitching or detail on it...just the plan stitch to join all the pieces together.

So, to any of you tailors/seamstresses out there, does this plan make sense or am I wasting time on a test flight suit and I should just jump in on the cotton duck?

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
Re: Flightsuit Pattern Adjustments
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2020, 03:38 PM »
You're absolutely not wasting your time. Doing a test suit will help ensure you get the right fit without screwing up the final version. You can work all the kinks out and make sure you get something that fits properly so when you make the final suit, there's no anxiety.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. ;) Good luck!

Oya!

Andry         ; )

jethroskull

• Haat Gai
Re: Flightsuit Pattern Adjustments
« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2020, 05:26 PM »
Muslin is a good idea but also look into Swedish tracing paper or sew-able tracing paper. It is very  easy to work with and you can trace off of an existing pattern and actually sew it together. Very handy for testing curves and darts and such.

Any advice I give is strictly personal opinion and may not accurately reflect the CRLs.
Iím just an Unofficial Member making their way across the galaxy.

A'den Syngh
Gediníla - Jaro

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!