Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Swivel Multi-Visor Bucket

• 8 Replies
Swivel Multi-Visor Bucket
« on: Jul 31, 2020, 03:10 PM »
I've nearly completed my design for a swivel visor Mando helmet.  My goal was to design a modern-era helmet that I could comfortable wear all day, eat, drink and smoke in.  I'm currently 3D printing the final version in nylon and should have the helmet assembled this weekend :D

A spring loaded tab in the right ear keep the visor locked open or closed.  The left ear features a rotating sight.  The above visor is for my modern duster armor build but I'm also making a sleeker visor for my more elaborate armor set.  I can quickly swap visors at a con by undoing just the two main rotation screws inside the ears.

Here are the prints so far, the visor is still the PETG prototype.

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
Re: Swivel Multi-Visor Bucket
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2020, 06:03 PM »
Ok, that’s really impressive. Are you planning to further trick it out with electronics?

« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2020, 01:47 PM »
Thank you  :D
It's going to have a mic inside with a quick disconnect to attach to my voice amplifier, but otherwise no fun electronics.  I thought about LEDs in a few places, but I already have a lot of LEDs in my regular armor and didn't feel the need for more.  This is a small helmet, it's very snug with padding on my 22" circumference head to keep it light weight and comfortable, so there was also no room for fans.  I thought about extending the rear with some box details to make room for a 30mm fan, but I already have fans in my collar armor that direct air up both sides inside the helmet.

I've made some progress and had some setbacks that I thought were worth sharing.  I'm using a flexible PEI topped bed on my custom Prusa 3D Printer, they work fantastically well until you try to print a large part from nylon.  The adhesion between the PEI and nylon is stronger then the magnetic pull holding down the bed.  This results in large warps after ~4+ hours of printing, when the nylon has started to shrink slightly.  I used gaffers tape all around the bed to try to keep the edges secured, but still resulted in a completely unusable warp in my visor.  You'll notice my helmet bottom chin is warped up about 5mm.  I killed this print about 5 hours in.

To solve this, I knew I needed to design something that actually mechanically fastened the bed down rather then just relying on magnets.  I went to the hardware store this morning and was lucky enough to find some fat metal U brackets that were the prefect size and shape for this job.  They're supposed to be used as magnetic door locks for a cabinet assembly, the gap is slightly under 6mm.

I'll be trying the visor again today once my nylon comes out of the oven.  I also pinned together the top and bottom half of the main bucket using 4mm steel pins, then filled the gap between the shells using muliput.  This stuff sands super smooth and is hard as rock, a great filler for nylon or PETG.

Zaroc

• Honneur aux armes - Respect aux maîtres
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Family events Special Weapons Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2020, 04:57 PM »
I really love the idea of a removable face :D

PWS #009 - New Death Watch Order #43 - O.O.P.S. ! #49
Zaroc - Brigade approved as Privateer/Gunslinger
Ogm'a - Archaelorian/Scavenger
« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2020, 01:36 PM »
Thanks!  I'm planning on designing 3-4 visors just to experiment with different designs on this platform.

The first set or prints are nearly complete, I just have to redesign and print the left ear.  Here it is assembled, there's a nice balance of exposed face to room-for-front-padding when the visor is open, I can comfortably eat and drink, which was the goal :D .  The helmet weighs ~1,300 grams, not too bad.

I've modeled in the details for my second visor.  This isn't completely finished yet, but it's 90% of the way there.

I'm going to be moving for work next week, so I'm trying to print as much as I can before I pack up and leave.  I'm not going to be moving everything at once, so I'm not sure how long it will be till I have my printing setup back up and running.  In the mean time, I'll be able to brush some XTC-3D on all these parts to help gap fill, then go to town on sanding and smoothing.

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2020, 02:05 PM »
Very cool design!

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2022, 11:25 AM »
So it's been a while, but I finished this helmet  :D

Hoping for post-imp approval for this, how do I submit just a helmet?

Drako Katora

• It's fun to shoot from bell towers, very dramatic.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2022, 02:21 PM »
This is an amazing bucket, well done!

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2022, 01:23 PM »
Turned out very nice indeed! It’s nice to see concepts that have been thought about and discussed for ages finally come to fruition.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!