Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ijaat's Soft-parts

• 25 Replies
Ijaat's Soft-parts
« on: Nov 18, 2009, 10:07 AM »
Well, technically at this point I only have my vest actually done (it needs some minor alterations on the arm holes, otherwise it's spot on). I have a flightsuit, but it's not exactly my size, so i'm having one commissioned for me as soon as my paychecks start coming in!

The fabric is some sort of tawny micro-suede that was on clearance at Wal-mart up near Cheboygan. I have that vest made by my sister in law (she adding interfacing into the shoulder flaps, so it does stick up a bit and look cool, but not sure, since you can see the interfacing, if i'll keep it). I also have enough of this fabric left over for possibly two more vests, or a cape! She also thought of me with my stunty arms, and made it so I can get out of this easier by sewing a half zipper :D

You can also randomly see one of my gloves I will be using next to the vest, courtesy of my cat dragging it into the shot 4 or 5 times before I just took it anyway. They're just generic black "swordsman gauntlets" from a ren faire.

These are the boots being drafted for now, i'm looking for my old WWII/Civil war legs wraps/boots covers that are a dark green.. They willl go over the laces until I can get these from ebay:

The flightsuit is going to be a custom tailored (since my shoulders are too broad for anything else really) jango style one, doine in a dark sage/OD type green.

That's all for now, I'll try and get a few pics of me in the vest soon!

« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2009, 10:09 AM by Ijaat » Logged
This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Alejha

Re: Ijaat's Soft-parts
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2009, 10:14 AM »
Nice Ijaat :D

Corr Ordo

• I'm a bad person. Just plain awful.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2009, 11:00 AM »
The soft parts are usually the hardest for most, so good for you! I like those boots in the third pic.

What? Is this thing on? Oh, uh, death upon your head and such.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2009, 11:01 AM »
Thank, both of you!

Those boots are only gonna run me about $50 + shipping, so they're a down the line upgrade, but something i'm shooting for.. Hoping the boots I have now will work, for now.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Kav'an Hatfield

• Old Man from Naast
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2009, 11:19 AM »
I vant those boots!

Owner of Last Minute Gimmicks. Maker of Latex Masks.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2009, 12:03 PM »
I vant those boots!

Hit me up on YIM, i'll toss you the info ;)

Alejha

« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2009, 12:06 PM »
i want the first pair of boots =P

« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2009, 12:08 PM »
i want the first pair of boots =P

Those are the best $90 i've ever spent. 4 years of solid Ren Faire and costume parties, and they STILL are comfy...

They do however need new soles, so I guess I gotta figure out how the heck I do that...

El Kabong29

• Mercs mount up! We got a bounty to hunt!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2009, 01:26 PM »
Nice work on the vest vod!

*Under construction*

Kebii'tra Verda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2009, 03:42 PM »
Nice boots!

David.

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
267th Brigade "Remo's Raiders"
Above and Beyond
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2009, 11:31 PM »
Little bit more done when Triker and I synched up, thanks to a donation of his! Sorry for quality, but it's a laptop webcam, can't find the digi-cam charger.

Not much, granted, but it's the new kama... A nice reptilian looking brown faux-leather, and i'll be lining it with this:

Should keep me nice and warm, but it won't be opressively hot. Debating if I want to trim it or not...

Saberan Vhette

• No Retreat! No Surrender!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2009, 12:59 AM »
The buckled combat boots will be a nice touch.  The "reptile skin" Kama with be very interesting to see.

« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2010, 10:46 PM »
Resurrecting this for some help here!

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/forums/showthread.php/10712-Jango-Belt-Pouch-Pattern

I am trying to make heads or tails of these to make my own copies.. The only problem being... WTF do the dashed green lines mean? WoF does amazing work, and I want to follow these for my own kit, but I can't fathom what those lines mean.. They can't be stitch markers or they would be on all the pieces... Any ideas?

Praetor Ordo

• Ibic cuyi haar yusta
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2010, 12:55 AM »
The green lines are x-ray.  Showing you things you would not normally see.

« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2010, 01:22 AM »
The green lines are x-ray.  Showing you things you would not normally see.

I finally figured that out.. At first I didn't think it was that because the lines for the side flaps are kinda big looking... Then I took an approximation of the scale, and that should only equate to about 1/4" or less in from the end of the piece to the seam on the side, which is MORE than acceptable and advised when sewing leather, so you don't wear to and through the edge.

Another question, which Praetor HAS been helping me with.. I want a rather unique belt.. I am trying to aim for, when I get all my upgrades, a 'heavy' armor set... What do you guys think of this?

The idea being I will have lots of random scraps of sintra and leather soon. So, I thought I could take the leather in about 1.5"-2"x2.5" segments, with about 1/4" trimmed off those for either a single, thinner block of leather under them, or two small strips (as pictured).. On top of the first segments I would rivet in place a bolt of sintra, painted white to match my armor, leaving the connector pieces/strips a plain black leather, or I could always make the connector piece solid, add multiple small bands of sintra  on it there to allow it to flex, and paint it in the secondary color of the armor or use a leather/vinyl spray paint.

Those options are mainly stylistic, the biggest question is:
For the closure, I plan to use the same pattern as the design pictured, but without the rivets actually being 'riveted' through to their connecting opposite end... The idea there was to use hook and eye closures (not unlike a female bra or corset, as Kora pointed out) on the underside of the sintra plate, with no leather backing, and have the hooks on the leather, eyes on the plate, and have it to where if I remove the front plate, off comes the belt... Would also help with attaching and making thigh holsters ala Jango much easier and more modular..

The problem therein being up and down force could force it open, and consequently drop all such things attached to it to the floor. Resulting in broken props, embarrassment, and much financial damage...

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D701

This was suggested as the solution, combined with their double sided sticky adhesive... Use eight... Two on the sintra, two on the leather on each side (where the rivets are pictured now), and have them hold it closed.. Would they hold a DE-10 in resin, a solid wood axe,  and an EE-2 from Jare Hassan? With standard belt pouches fett style (4) and two Mauser pouches on the hip? The guns would be holstered on the thigh area so not full/direct weight, of course.

This idea, while to anyone else would be much more costly than even buying a cheap belt at walmart, will utilize spare excess leather I do rather desperately need to cut down on, and allow a slightly futher augmented look to the armor, possibly with a sash and/or Boba style girth belt.

So please, while I understand to most it is 'cheaper' to just buy and cover up a belt, I only have one belt at home and it is the match to a hand tailored italian suit, so it is NOT being tapped... I do however have almost, at my last count 75-100 lbs of scrap leather, a large amount in black, PERFECT for this, as well as gunmetal antiqued nickel plated rivets and sintra scrap, so I wouldn't even have to spend any money. Critiques on the idea are welcome, but i'm not looking to buy a belt, and don't have enough leather whole right now, due to tapping pieces for other projects, to just make a full belt.. So please keep that in mind.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!