Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ijaat's Soft-parts

• 25 Replies

Dar'kumn Vol

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Ijaat's Soft-parts
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2010, 10:50 PM »
Actually, what you have is not a bad idea. Just be sure to keep teh edges of the sintra rounded so that you don't stick yourself bending over.

There are no heroes, only those with conscience. Once they take rise none shall stop them. They lead us forward into tomorrow not limited by today. They are who we strive to be.
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2010, 10:52 PM »
As silly as it sounds... I totally had NOT thought of that... *makes note to round edges*

And, as much as I *hate* the sound of velcro, I may be using it here, strictly because it is the cheapest and strongest.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2010, 01:52 PM »
The belt idea I had is still planned as an upgrade, but for the sake of making sure this is done and done well by ConGlomeration and MotorCityComicCon(and cheaply as well) I went with this tactical belt and will be including the two xl style pouches I got from Runi Netra from his old kit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230438816919#ht_500wt_1182

Pics of Runi's pouches are to come, they're honestly HUGE, and two each one have two pouches side by side, each pouch about the size of a TI-83 graphing calculator. Honestly can't remember what gun they go to! They are black and very nice. Also have my gloves from him.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.
« Reply #18 on: Jul 26, 2010, 02:46 AM »
So, after a recent kit malfunction, I decided to make a new vest. Thicker and able to take bolts, so I could bolt the solid, one piece Legacy Era chest straight to the vest. But the thin fabric I had, while ok for the current use, was a no-go for that idea.

However, I just got this on clearance at Jo-ann's for $3 a yard. I picked up enough to do a vest and Kama in, and then some.

I know vinyl will work for the Kama, but will it work out ok on the vest? I know heat will be an issue, but by the next troop I will also have fans in my helmet, etc..

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #19 on: Jul 26, 2010, 03:50 AM »
I think probably half the mercs have vinyl vests. In all honesty, I've not noticed much difference, comfort/temperature-wise, between vinyl and varying cottons. With all the gear on, it's just as hot either way, the only difference is that the cotton transfers the sweat through to the armor, while the vinyl tends to force the sweat down your body, into the girth-belt, kama, pants, etcetera.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #20 on: Jul 26, 2010, 08:27 AM »
The only difference, and I do mean ONLY is breathability, which is quite minor unless you're doing a southern US troop in the summer.  Go for it with the vinyl.

« Reply #21 on: Jul 26, 2010, 08:29 AM »
YEah, Completely not sure what the current vest is, but durability wise there is a marked difference.

Hopefully I can convince the wife to start on this tonight. Still debating closure methods on this. The current one was a zipper in the back, I'm thinking elastic attached to buckles hidden by side flaps that velcro closed over it all?

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #22 on: Jul 26, 2010, 02:13 PM »
My last vinyl vest had a zipper on the left flank that I could just barely reach around and fasten myself. My current vest has no sides. Instead, it's a front panel and a back panel with two straps on either side, that are right now velcro straps, but will be replaced with quick-release buckles. I usually leave one side fastened and just unbuckle the other side for ease of on and off. You could easily take the same method on one side, with a flap that velcro's closed over it to conceal the straps.

« Reply #23 on: Jul 26, 2010, 02:17 PM »
I think we essentially just described the same thing, just in different words ori'vod.

Stupid pain meds.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #24 on: Jul 26, 2010, 02:24 PM »
Heh, yeah, pretty much. I probably should have clarified more; I meant that, just using straps and buckles to close the vest works just fine, so your idea of concealing straps such as those with a flap of fabric that velcro's closed should work just fine. It'll be more secure than just velcro on the sides, but still give the appearance of a fully enclosed vest.

« Reply #25 on: Jul 26, 2010, 02:24 PM »
Heh, yeah, pretty much. I probably should have clarified more; I meant that, just using straps and buckles to close the vest works just fine, so your idea of concealing straps such as those with a flap of fabric that velcro's closed should work just fine. It'll be more secure than just velcro on the sides, but still give the appearance of a fully enclosed vest.

Roger that. It's on hold until the paycheck from the new job comes in, but i'll keep it in mind.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!