Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Starting out

• 4 Replies
Starting out
« on: Aug 06, 2020, 07:21 PM »
OK, first helmet here. Using EVA foam, and a pattern from Punished Props (link here.)

Still need the ear pieces (put a pair on at the seams, then realized the seams weren't exactly in the right place for that.) I want to put a ridge around the mandibles, and a center mohawk decorated with teeth.

Current plan is:
  • Seal with Mod Podge/white glue
  • Fill cracks with Bondo
  • Sand
  • Paint with metal texture
  • Seal with resin
  • Paint, weather, etc.

Eventually, I do want to make this either sturdy enough to withstand saber blows, or craft one out of 1/4" steel. But, for now, this will do.

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
Re: Starting out
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2020, 08:00 PM »
Hate to tell you this, but if youíre going for an official helmet, exposed eva foam isnít allowed.

« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2020, 08:24 PM »
Yeah, think of it more like a 'proof of concept.' Besides, I've already invested some effort into this, so I want to see this through, at the very least.

Let's see how this turns out first...

Akakyram

• Armorsmith
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 05:49 PM »
Can I be the first to say 1/4 steel is a terrible idea for your neck?  Lol

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 03:52 AM »
Itís a decent first attempt. Iíd definitely suggest using a round object next time and preshaping your foam before commuting to the flying process as your seams look like theyíre pulling a bit which is distorting the rest of the helmet and making it look squished. I will say though, with the same amount of effort you could easily use the same methods of shaping and what not to make a sintra/foamex/pvc sheet based helmet.

QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!