Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Helmet comms (external audio and voice amp/changer)

• 9 Replies

Jarex Bry地

• We are born to die. We live to be remembered.
Helmet comms (external audio and voice amp/changer)
« on: Aug 13, 2020, 03:14 PM »
I'm planning out my electronic systems while I wait for my helmet to arrive, and honestly this part is just as exciting for me as the physical build part.
For hearing my surroundings, I'm working on a stereo external audio system that should be simple to build, at least as cheap as the ubiquitous Velleman MK136, and less than half the size. If it works as planned I'll make a tutorial on it down the road.
For projecting my voice outside the bucket, I wanted to know if anyone has tried out the Teensy-based "Vox Imperium" project from SparkFun?
If nobody has tried it, I'm happy to give it a shot and report back, but I figured I'd see if there's any opinions on it first.

Working on my first build! Concept and WIP threads.

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards Airmobile brigade member 40+ hrs of Charity Work Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
Re: Helmet comms (external audio and voice amp/changer)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2020, 05:44 PM »
This is an area that is not oft traveled.

That said, I have build the Vellman MK136 so I am fascinated in what you do on the smaller scale.

The teensy based project looks great, if not a hair more expensive than the ubiquitous aker voice amp + some distortion added.

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2020, 03:29 AM »
I have the velleman kit and would be VERY interested as to what you're using that's so much smaller.

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2020, 05:19 AM »
I'm just replying to stay informed as I have tried to create such a circuit and failed miserably.  Logically everything should work but... >:(

Jarex Bry地

« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2020, 12:55 PM »
I'm looking at solid-state SMD components to keep it small, there's a couple of options I'm working on using ready-made mic and amp modules, just waiting on aliexpress shipping from China to be able to prototype it out. The mic modules I'm looking at are about the size of a penny, and they use MEMS mics instead of electret so they're basically flat, and I think they should work with a tiny (1/32") hole in the helmet.

If this idea doesn't work out, I may look into what it would take to do a run of custom boards that would basically be a SMD version of the Velleman kit.

Vorpal

« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2020, 04:23 PM »
http://www.tktalkie.com/
might be worth a look.

ti his kov'nyn

Jarex Bry地

« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2020, 05:05 PM »
That last post is about plans for a tiny system for me to hear what's going on around me (replacing the Velleman super stero ear).  I'm not looking to completely reinvent the wheel on the voice amp/changer. I was leaning toward the Vox Imperium project I linked above, but after looking a litle more at the TKTalkie, it's very similar (both run on a Teensy 3.2) and the ability to store multiple profiles and change from a phone app may be worth the slightly less direct customization of the sound. 
Do you use a TKTalkie? Does it work well adjusting from the app?

« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2020, 01:54 PM »
sorry if this is necro posting, but dont see many other projects on helmet electronics.

I've personally did the Vox Imperium in my current helmet build. It is quite static-y and more stormtrooper like than mando. I have purchased parts for TKTalkie but have not yet worked on it yet.

« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2020, 05:46 PM »
sorry if this is necro posting, but dont see many other projects on helmet electronics.

I've personally did the Vox Imperium in my current helmet build. It is quite static-y and more stormtrooper like than mando. I have purchased parts for TKTalkie but have not yet worked on it yet.

Working on a TKTalkie myself. Had it together but then had some glitches and just hadn't had the time to properly work on it.

Vorpal

« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2020, 01:46 AM »
Got my TK Talkie working about a month ago.  I also put a PPT buttom on it. It works great. I can put profiles in for other costumes and swap between them.

Some things I learnt that might be useful if you have the same issues.
 If you have problems connecting with the bluetooth  app om your phone. Take the SD card out of the talkie and put it in a PC, in the config file change the baud rate to  9600. save and try again. This solved a major issue for me.

ti his kov'nyn

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!