Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Helmet audio

• 9 Replies
Helmet audio
« on: Sep 08, 2020, 05:23 AM »
Su'cuy ner vode,
I am currently working on finishing my first kit, and have recently found out how hard it is to hear anything from under my bucket. I have heard that some people use different kinds of audio pickups, but I have very little knowledge on the subject and don't know how to go about finding the correct ones. Does anyone have any advice on how to amplify my hearing from under my bucket?

A warrior may retreat.
He does not flee
He may lie in ambush.
He does not hide.
He may experience victory or defeat.
He does not cease to serve.
But a servant with divided loyalties is no servant at all.
Re: Helmet audio
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2020, 12:08 PM »
Do you suggest using speakers inside the helmet or a headset?

A warrior may retreat.
He does not flee
He may lie in ambush.
He does not hide.
He may experience victory or defeat.
He does not cease to serve.
But a servant with divided loyalties is no servant at all.

JarekVekarrIrunel

« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2020, 03:55 AM »
I used thin speakers in the helmet I finished and sold off. It worked well enough when I shipped it, have not heard otherwise since.

Vorpal

« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2020, 04:44 PM »
Do you suggest using speakers inside the helmet or a headset?

I use speaker just be careful about feedback

ti his kov'nyn

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2020, 11:00 PM »
Question: the Super Stereo ear uses 3 AA batteries for 4.5 volts input. Is it safe to use a 5v battery pack instead? Will it improve performance? I finished soldering up mine tonight and tested with 3 1.2v rechargeables and noticed a bit of crackling in the output. Is that normal/expected, or a result of low voltage?

JarekVekarrIrunel

« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2020, 02:43 AM »
I put a 10mF ceramic disc capacitor across both terminals for each microphone and it reduced background static/noise to almost zero. I tried several battery banks, but most seemed to shut off on their own after a few moments, as if there was no sensed "drain" to keep the bank active.

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2020, 11:06 AM »
10 mF? Everything I can find is rated in nF, pF, uF, or (micro)F. You wouldn’t happen to have a link to the one you used, would you?

JarekVekarrIrunel

« Reply #8 on: Oct 02, 2020, 01:06 AM »
10 mF? Everything I can find is rated in nF, pF, uF, or (micro)F. You wouldn’t happen to have a link to the one you used, would you?

Going a bit old school. 1 mF (micro farads) LOOKS like 1 uF, because, I believe (fact check me on this) the "u" is actually a Greek letter.

Also, Typing on my phone makes it easy to lose a decimal.  :P Was SUPPOSED to be 1.0mF. Code 105 on most ceramic caps.

« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2020, 01:21 AM by Jarek Tahl-Tracyn » Logged

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #9 on: Oct 02, 2020, 09:54 AM »
Thank you! I thought you meant the micro; I can’t find the greek characters on my phone, either. I believe it’s the greek letter omicron. I appreciate you double-checking for me.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!