Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Making updates to one of my helmets and completely rebuilding another.

• 4 Replies

Arkham

• Awards Legends of Mandalore Brigade 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Special Weapons
Hey Vode,

So, if you're like me, you're missing the face-to-face events like invasions, cons, and armor parties. I think about all of the things I enjoy about these things. But then, I started to consider all of the things that I did NOT enjoy about these things (except armor parties, those are all good!). I figured this could help motivate me, and other OMs while giving some of the UMs out there, things to think about while working on their kits.

Things for me that popped to mind were items like:
  • My gauntlets are too heavy
  • My helmet is not that comfortable
  • To paraphase Luke " I can't hear a thing in this helmet"
  • My kit box is a disaster
And these were just for my first kit.

So, rather than bemoaning the fact that cons are being cancelled right and left, I decided to take this time to work on some upgrades for my kits. I figured posting it here would actually motivate me to get them finished in a timely manner. So, I decided to save the kit box for last (no sense fixing it until I fix the things that go in it) and start with one of the biggest offenders: The helmet on my Pistoleer kit!

Here is my helmet as it currently sits:

The problems:
  • Can't hear in it
  • Not comfortable to wear for long periods

The Plan:
  • Replace the earcaps with new ones that have cutout to allow for increased hearing
  • Replace the head mount on the inside of the helmet to something more comfortable

My first step was to create new earcaps. I did this by using the original ones as a template. I then designed them to be 3D printed using Fusion 360. I incorporated large openings that are masked within the aesthetic of the helmet to allow for sound penetration. These were designed to be printed flat, but allow for them to be folded into the final position.

Got the new earcaps shaped and Chicago screws attached to line up with the existing holes in the helmet.

Then got them primed and base-coated for the metallic layer.

Finally got around to installing them new head mount rig for the inside of the helmet. First thing I did was to was remove most of the interior bits from the helmet, including the visor.

I designed this little piece (don't you love it when something you are not sure if it will work does?).

It's a mount for a hard hat suspension system that can be glued into the helmet. I made them in 3 different thicknesses so that they can be mixes and matched as needed. Plus, the wings can be heated a bit with a heat gun to soften them a bit to allow for a custom fit.

Trimmed the top of the visor to allow for the new mounts and reinstalled it. Now to just finish painting the ear caps and reinstalling them.

I got the new ear caps finalized, shaped, and painted to match the original paint of the helmet. I also created and entirely new range finder.

Got everything installed; earcaps and new headband system. Bolted down and it fits well. It is way more comfortable, and maybe most importantly, I can hear far better.

I may change up the fan situation, but for now it works.

I'll post the full rebuild for the other helmet shortly (too long to be included in this post).

Arkham's WIP

Tra'cor Clan // G.O.M.O.L # 032 // M.V.S #68 // O.O.P.S.! #52 // L.O.B #49

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Boba and Jango 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017 Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
WELP.

Gonna need that stl for the hardhat liner mount.

In all seriousness, lovely work per usual!

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Arkham

• Awards Legends of Mandalore Brigade 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Special Weapons
So, with the January CRL update I realized the helmet for my second kit may no longer be approvable as the gap between the visor was around 1/4", if not more. Plus, it was a bit short for my liking. So I did what any Mando would do; rebuilt it from scratch!

Started the same way as before with a pepakura build from cardstock with epoxy resin and fiberglass to firm it up. This was then followed but layers of bondo, wood filler, filler primer, and spot putty. And then in between and after all of this there was sanding (so much sanding).

I wanted to slightly change up the ear cap situation to make it easier to hear while in kit. The new helmet had vent openings that would allow sound to travel through. These will be backed by a thin layer of foam or plastic mesh to keep from being able to see inside. (Original and new concept ear caps)

Once that was done I hit it with a layer of black primer, followed by a metallic coat. When this was dry and cured, I went to town with the latex to begin the battle damage. This was then coated with flat black to act as the "primer" layer of the visible paint. I made sure to copy the wear marks as well as possible from the original helmet to its replacement. I wanted to keep the aesthetic as close to the same as possible.

New helmet vs the original helmet

This process was then repeated with the main color and all additional color layers. Then it was onto installing the ear caps, new head mount system, and making and installing a new visor.

And here is the final result:

Here is the comparison between the two helmets:

Arkham's WIP

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards Airmobile brigade member 40+ hrs of Charity Work Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
Oh as any mando would do?

Regardless great work! Makes me want to share all my helmet musings.

Is Pep + bondo your preferred way as opposed to that awesome 3d modeling and printing you do?

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262

Arkham

Is Pep + bondo your preferred way as opposed to that awesome 3d modeling and printing you do?

All of my helmets have been made this way so far. It's just how I started out.

I am working on a 3D printed helmet right now as well, and have several I am in the process of designing. So hopefully those will be coming in the future.

Arkham's WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!