Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Rook Kast wip basic om Approved

• 21 Replies

Ca'tra Sarad

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Rook Kast wip basic om Approved
« on: Apr 22, 2020, 08:04 PM »
All right so this is official I am officially putting stuff into a WIP.  While this has been in the works since November, It took a lot of planning and trying to figure out since there are not a lot of references or the references in the comics were not consistent. Originally I was going to do the comic version...I have since switched that design to TCW and will use TCW helmet (but will still keep the comic bucket and will continue to modify it to make it comic accurate as the two go together) and why not do both since there has been so much work on that already! Here is where I am so far. The armor is being made by Mandalore as it is steel. Construction of Armor started back in December/January. That being said, I am not posting pictures for reference yet as I don’t want to put any spoilers out there.
So my original helmet was a beautiful print and design...but was way too big. So I had to cut the center and take out 1.5 inches from the center and 1.25 inches from the bottom.

Next...it has a very weird high dome and a bell curve on the bottom... I also had to fix the cheeks and remake the center part of the “T”  that was taken out when I had to cut the bucket in half.

I also did a little more work sanding down my West stars but they have a way to go still

[/quote]

« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 06:27 PM by S'keara Charev » Logged
“Hey bounty hunter, when was the last time you brought someone in warm”?..

Brigades Application:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=form;n=4

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
Re: Rook Kast wip Updated 4/23/2020
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2020, 05:19 PM »
I am glad you like sanding :P

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Ca'tra Sarad

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2020, 06:40 PM »
Unfortunately a necessary evil with this one :(.. But since I like sanding so much, I thought I would show you where I am at now LOL.  :D

« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2020, 08:06 PM by S'keara Charev » Logged

Brigades Application:

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2020, 09:08 PM »
Definitely following with interest. Well done resizing that helmet, not an easy thing to do and come out with a quality product!

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2020, 09:57 PM »
I see your using a duct tape mannequin torso. It must make things easy to size up and shape armor as well as make soft goods when it's per your actual torso measurements. What did you use to fill it?

Ca'tra Sarad

« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2020, 12:54 AM »
it’s possible it was stuffed with newspaper  .... I wore a t shirt, wrapped duct tape in multiple layers then cut the back in a straight line up from bottom to top to get out of it. Since the armor is metal and not being made by myself I think it’s standard to use newspaper. For my soft goods, it’s a bit different since I can try it on and alter as I need :-) I hope this helps :-)

Brigades Application:

Tak'ur

• Ner oyay cuyir tracyn bal tal
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 2020, 06:01 AM »
This is gonna be a fun build - watching with interest  :like:

“When you find yourself surrounded by those who don't know or care who you are, comfort yourself knowing that you are part of something far greater and more powerful than they will ever have the privilege of knowing.”

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2020, 09:37 AM »
Hooray! Your sanding ability was not understated. I love the comic book helmet much more. Its realistic.

Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval
« Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2020, 06:53 PM »
it’s possible it was stuffed with newspaper  .... I wore a t shirt, wrapped duct tape in multiple layers then cut the back in a straight line up from bottom to top to get out of it. Since the armor is metal and not being made by myself I think it’s standard to use newspaper. For my soft goods, it’s a bit different since I can try it on and alter as I need :-) I hope this helps :-)

Thanks! The info definitely helps! I'm looking forward to seeing the progression of this awesome kit!

Ca'tra Sarad

Re: Rook Kast wip Updated 5/6/20
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 06:40 AM »
OK so now that I feel like the proper time has passed and I didn’t want to post any spoilers just in case… Here are reference materials the first set is a generic female “mauldalorian”.  While it says it is based on rook kast, the color is different, although the parts are the exact same. So all the pieces are the same the way things are constructed and put together are the same the difference is the design on the pistols and of course the design on her armor and soft parts with regards to the coloring only. From what I can ascertain, it looks like this is based on a ranking system. A recognizable way to identify who is who on the battlefield.

Some of these images will be a tad blurry as they are the highest resolution I could get based on the fact they are screenshots.

Front view :

Upon seeing this it was decided it was going to be easier to make the armor, here is the start of the chest plates. Again I can take no credit for the chest plates as they are not being made by me. As they are made from steel.

Right side:

Left side:

Back:

Details:
Boots on all female Mauldalorians are brown not black. While  the close-up shows seems similar to Boba boots, it does not seem like that shows up on Rook  however..

Generic asset

Rook:

Also it looks like the gloves are grey, and not black they also seem to have an extension of the flight suit that looks like an additional sleeve that goes over the glove and shows in the pictures. This is confirmed by the schematic above

Flights it is heavily weathered and there are several seams  and piping in the arms as well as a neck seal that are grey...

That being said in the reference pictures out of the way, I was able to get some leather to start working on the soft parts as well as a flight suit in black. I will update with my progress as I saw some more materials I still need to find the grey for the piping..

Here is a picture of the leather.(I ordered it lighter so that way I could dye it darker And give it a heavy brown wash to make that brick red/ burgundy/ wine type color.

Was also able to order gloves and boots…I will cut the lining out of the gloves, and if I need to add any details to the boots I can always do so. But I think this is the closest color as it looks like hers have a slight registered in some pictures and are brown and others.

OK and here is the most nerve-racking thing in the world because she is a face character. So that being said I cut the wig today and took pictures. Here is what it looks like to start with ...

And here it is after I cut it..
Here is the picture of Rook..

And here is a picture of how I cut the wig..

And again the actual color since when I step back out of the light it gets much darker

And in a different light.

So 14” cut off and the wig is done

« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 12:29 AM by S'keara Charev » Logged

Brigades Application:

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Rook Kast wip Updated 5/4/20
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 09:22 AM »
You've certainly done the research! Your wig looks great, and it looks like you have a solid plan in place :)

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 10:07 AM »
Stunning, great work

Bryn Cin'Prudii

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 01:36 PM »
Hey! Nice wig.

Dang that color match is spot on.

Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2020, 12:50 PM »
Glad to see you rocking this kit!

Wig looks awesome.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Ca'tra Sarad

« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2020, 02:31 PM »
Thank you, I will have a bunch of updates by the weekend

Brigades Application:

Draceline

• Angel of War
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Special Weapons
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2020, 01:04 PM »
Oh, how glad I am to see another Rook in the works (or maybe finished by now? I have no idea). In contrast to your build, I've been sticking as closely as I can to the comic book version (for example, I've got a deep brown wig and black boots rather than the purple and brown). But, as you said, the comic references aren't entirely consistent, so I've been supplementing with a little bit of TCW material where I get stuck. Thankfully, there aren't a LOT of really big differences. Color seems to be one of the biggest differences.

However, the parts that have given me the most trouble, have, of course, been the helmet and the jetpack (because of course she has to be unique). Where did you find your helmet???? I've been trying to model my own, but it keeps coming out far more wrong than what you started with.

My jetpack has been similarly fussy, but I've been attempting to modify the mesh from a preexisting model, and though the Arena Pack was the closest in design, I've been having to use a Nite Owl because of a file error... its not working very well, but I'm attempting to persist. Have you figured out what you're doing for that piece? It's different from the comic version, but could be modified.

I've been mostly working on designing the soft parts before I get to the armor. However, I have the plate design sketched out on a body form. I'm planning on doing a combination of 3D print and fiberglass, with sintra making up some of the bigger or less detailed pieces.

I hope your build is going well. It'll be nice to not be the only Rook in the Tower. ;P

"As Mandalorians, we don't need the Force.
But should you ever want it on your side, don't give it a choice:
Make the Force be with you."

Armor - Soft Parts - Buy'ce - Armory
MARS #47 | NOS #02 | LOB #18 | Draluram #8 | MAJIC #161

Ca'tra Sarad

« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2021, 04:07 AM »
Hello, my apologies I haven’t been on this in a while real life, work, and other responsibilities have gotten in the way… I’m hoping to pick it up again next weekend. I had both of them designed by an amazing friend!

Brigades Application:

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2021, 09:30 AM »
Very excited to see what your friend has cooked up!

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Ca'tra Sarad

« Reply #18 on: Apr 25, 2022, 01:10 AM »
All right, so going to update this I know it’s been a while but everything is finished! I’m going to attach reference pictures, as well as pictures of the kit and close up pictures of the details…

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2022, 01:14 AM by S'keara Charev » Logged

Brigades Application:

Vi'per

• I can thrive in the chaos that is to come
  • Awards Open Seasons Death Watch Brigade MEmber 267th Rapid Assault Special Operations Brigade Member TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Brigades
« Reply #19 on: Apr 25, 2022, 06:48 AM »
wow !! this clone wars character i love ,Rook its amazing project  :maul:
about your accurate westar if you want even more just mark this indent line

ROCK by viper  rim, en Flickr

Ca'tra Sarad

Re: Rook Kast wip Sumitted for approval
« Reply #20 on: Apr 28, 2022, 11:01 AM »
This is the inside of the blaster that is against the holster the other side has more although it does look like it’s getting washed out a little bit by the lighting.. But thank you so much I actually had more pictures to add to this WIP but it will only allow you so many before you can’t add any more to a single post as I did not want to double post, response means I get to add more pictures lol this was a very difficult build with a unique set of challenges but I’m so happy to at least get it done

Brigades Application:

Ru'Stor Rawr

• Mjölnir
  • Awards Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Airmobile brigade member Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Rook Kast wip Sumitted for approval
« Reply #21 on: Apr 30, 2022, 09:21 PM »
I would love to see more photos  ;)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!