Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First helmet visor question

• 9 Replies
First helmet visor question
« on: Sep 30, 2020, 01:47 PM »
Hello!  This is my first time here.  I've found the tutorials very helpful in building my first helmet.  I have limited workshop tools; I don't use power tools so I put the helmet together with a strong pair of scissors, screws, a hard hat, bucket and spray paint.  One problem I kept running into was the visor.  I couldn't find any workable material and ended up with soda bottles....  The first attempt was ok but see through.  I found a tinted one for my second attempt, but it buckled when hot glue was applied.  My question is, what is a good visor material which will hold up under the glue gun (and that I won't need a saw to cut)?  Thank you! 

If there is no path before you, create your own.  --Clone Wars

rlobrecht

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: First helmet visor question
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2020, 02:16 PM »
A welding shield like this one.

Kotep Dral | Arqet Clan | MMCC #2677 | The OT Guard #63 | B.O.M.B #96

Helmet build - SWJFH-A7R pepakura | Soft parts WIP | Armor WIP | Sniper upgrades

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2020, 02:41 PM »
Just going to add that you specifically want a Shade 5 visor. The one linked in the post above mine is the visor I got; there’s a vendor in the Continuous Sales forum which sells colored visors as well.

« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2020, 10:16 AM »
Perfect, thank you so much!

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2020, 02:14 AM »
Just going to add that you specifically want a Shade 5 visor. The one linked in the post above mine is the visor I got; there’s a vendor in the Continuous Sales forum which sells colored visors as well.

Shade 3-5 is the recommended range. Shade 3 are perfect for most indoor events and parades where you’ll be moving. Shade 5 is great for bright outdoor events and spaces with a lot of light.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2020, 02:30 PM »
Oh, thanks! I thought the CRLs specified Shade 5 only; good to know lighter shades are allowed.

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2020, 07:26 PM »
Oh, thanks! I thought the CRLs specified Shade 5 only; good to know lighter shades are allowed.
The crls haven’t been that strict on visors. They have to look good but shade 3-5 has been the norm since before I was an OM. I also double checked the crls for modern era and visor requirements are to do with fit and finish more than anything else.

QMU#084
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2020, 12:48 PM »
Quick follow up question... what is a good cleaning fluid for the visor?

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2020, 01:01 PM »
I know ammonia can cause issues with some tint films. Dish soap and water would likely be your safest option.

Bowfanny

« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2020, 02:05 PM »
You can find ammonia free windex or try eyeglass cleaning wipes or sap ray solution.

QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!