Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Question on the Bike Helmet Method

• 5 Replies
Question on the Bike Helmet Method
« on: Oct 19, 2020, 02:51 PM »
So I'm currently working on my first helmet, and I wanted to use a bike helmet as the base. I bought one that looks good, but noticed that its a bit more oblong than circular. Its an adult helmet from Bell, and it fits good on my head, but when I printed out the WOF template for the helmet it looks a bit short going all the way around, with about a 2" gap.

My question is this: to those of you who did a bike helmet bucket, what kind of bike helmet did you use, and do you have a size for them? Like I saw that some of you said that you used a child sized helmet, but do remember the measurements?

This is the Way

jethroskull

• Haat Gai
Re: Question on the Bike Helmet Method
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2020, 06:25 PM »
Most I've seen use a classic BMX/skate helmet; very oval.
Look around for WIPs from The Bearded Mando, he has a bike helmet build going on right now. He also has YouTube videos.

EDIT: New Decade Helmet Build

Any advice I give is strictly personal opinion and may not accurately reflect the CRLs.
Iím just an Unofficial Member making their way across the galaxy.

A'den Syngh
Gediníla - Jaro

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2020, 03:38 AM »
The thing with the kids bike helmet builds is you yank the foam out so you gain 1Ē all around and make it easier to add rivets to attach the inner layer.
Since youíve already got the adult add 2 inches or so to the pattern to make the WOF templates fit.

QMU#084
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2020, 09:26 PM »
The thing with the kids bike helmet builds is you yank the foam out so you gain 1Ē all around and make it easier to add rivets to attach the inner layer.
Since youíve already got the adult add 2 inches or so to the pattern to make the WOF templates fit.

I'll try to use my helmet for now, but I'll have to upsize the WOF templates a bit to do so. Hopefully I don't look like a bobble head.

You were right, though! I had to add 2 inches to the circumference just to fit around the helmet, but that made everything else look funny (mainly the ear caps being out of place)

This is the Way

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2020, 04:28 PM »
I'll try to use my helmet for now, but I'll have to upsize the WOF templates a bit to do so. Hopefully I don't look like a bobble head.

You were right, though! I had to add 2 inches to the circumference just to fit around the helmet, but that made everything else look funny (mainly the ear caps being out of place)
You can fudge on the earcap placement. Itís just a guide anyway. Unless youíre making a canon character thereís quite a bit of freedom in building a custom helmet.

QMU#084
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 05:17 AM »
I used my normal helmet  :like: It was a little challenging to do it myself, so I didn't immediately succeed. I had to redo it. After that, I decided to buy another bike helmet when my parents and I went to buy a bike for 5-year-olds brother. I took another helmet to do a better job, correct my mistakes, and fix the colors. At the moment, I'm proud of this helmet because it's my first invention that I wanted to make. I used to be afraid to do something like that because I thought people would judge me. Now I'm happy that I did it.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 12:09 AM by Hurenwer » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!