Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First WIP

• 6 Replies
First WIP
« on: Oct 27, 2020, 10:34 PM »
So I built this all over the course of a month for a Halloween costume party and contest.  I actually finished it the day of the contest and won.   ;D  But while I was building it I stumbled upon the Mandalorian Mercs and used a lot of information I found here and now that the contest is over, I don't want to stop building and using it.  My brother actually built a set of armor too and we had so much fun working together on the project that we both decided to keep going and this was the next step.  I honestly have never made my own costume before.  I've never been to a convention.  I didn't even know about the mercs until September after we started our project  but I've been reading up and it looks like something I'd enjoy getting into. 

So here is what I have so far.  I figure I'm going to have to change a lot of stuff if not rebuild the entire costume but it should be fun either way.  Thanks for any advice in advance.

So far I plan on replacing the sash with a girth belt and using velcro to hold it over my belt loops so it stays in place under my ammo belt.  I'm also planning to find a better way to hold down the ab plate and chest.  Right now the chest is just attached at the top and that causes the bottom to stick out and the same with the ab plate.  I'm also planning to make the left bracer match the right.

The plates are made from 3mm Sintra and the helmet is an epoxy shell covered with bondo with an EVA interior.  I'm honestly looking at replacing it with another helmet but I built the helmet first and didn't have time to redo it for my contest. 

I'm posting a link to this in my Clan's forum so I can get feedback from them.

Thanks again

Wolfin Sylvermane

• We are only Immortal for a limited time.
Re: First WIP
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2020, 12:30 PM »
That's a solid start.  Be sure to take a good look at the CRL's for your chosen era.  It looks like your going for a Post Imperial build, Right Here
I also recommend collecting as many reference photos as possible. They will really help keep a build on track.

Right off a couple of details, the gloves will need replacing with something more substantial and even though the boots dont have laces they are easily recognizable as flat toed cowboy boots.  You will want to find a way to change there profile with spats and/or armor plates. 

I'll also drop a message to some of the local clan down on the coast so they can introduce themselves.  I'm looking forward to watching your build! 
Welcome to the Clan Vod.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2020, 12:46 AM »
Thank you for the input. I'll look for some new boots and post what I come up with before picking them up. I had those in the closet.  And that was a cheap pack of gloves from harbor freight that I can use spearfishing so I'm not out anything replacing them. Easy fixes. I'll get those changed.

Thanks!

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2020, 12:34 PM »
Iím still working on my first kit, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Much of your gear looks pretty good. Shoulder, back, thigh, and knee armor all looks good, especially the back and shoulder. Your leg and knee armor could probably be fitted better. Your chestplate needs a lot of work; itís badly fitted and the plates shouldnít be overlapping like that. Your local clan can probably help you fit them better.

Much as I hate to say it, your gauntlets look a bit cartoony, and the whistling bird launcher looks a bit lopsided. I think you just need to invest more time in the shaping, painting and weathering. They donít look bad, just unfinished.

You already said you plan to redo the helmet. It may just be the picture quality, but your current one seems to have a slightly lopsided mandible.

Overall, it really just looks like you were rushed for time with this one and either cut a few corners during the build or just stopped before it was really ďdone.Ē You donít need to start from scratch; you just need to take a little more time and finish what youíve already got.

« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2020, 02:03 PM »
Contrary to what celtkhan has said, according to the post imperial CRLs it's perfectly fine to have overlapping chest pieces, and I think they fit rather well, just need to be curved a bit more closer to your body, they seem to be floating away on the bottom. Definitely get new boots, but I don't see anything wrong with the gauntlets, they seem fine to me. If he wants them to be slightly cartoonish, they can be that way, but he can change them if he wishes.

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2020, 03:05 PM »
Oh, post-imp plates can overlap? My mistake; I thought that was Legacy only. I apologize.

« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2020, 04:50 AM »
I totally agree with the whistling bird comment. I put that on last minute as a fun gimmick for the party and I actually plan to just remake that piece like the oposite arm and omit the whistling birds. I'm hoping to have a 3d printer in the next few months and I will likely make completely new wrist pieces after that.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm getting a good list of improvements.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!