Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bo-Katan Rebels S4 Build

• 51 Replies

CaTra Dral

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan Growth Force Hunter Brigade Member 267th Rapid Assault
Re: Bo-Katan Rebels S4 Build
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2020, 09:02 AM »
My shoulders and shin finished printing! The 5% increase in width on the shoulders made all the difference. Which made me decide to widen the shins. Someone with thin legs will be very happy  I may be able to make a kid bo katan at this rate, lmao.

I started my jetpack based off the measurements we took; these match the measurements of my jetpack for my current kit. Keep your fingers crossed it works. Still don’t have armorsmith downloaded; that’s on the list for the weekend.

I can’t remember if I talked about this yet or not, but the thigh plates on the files I bought aren’t accurate. So my friend drew them out and hopefully we can cut and shape them tomorrow.  Just had to buy some more Sintra first lol. Also hoping to get the new buttons printed (and try and get some for the headband and chestbar) and try and bend the headband. Worst case scenario I size it down and reprint it.

Spot puttied my shoulders:

I did get to prime several pieces in the snow. That was fun.

Hopefully I can sand my remaining parts so I can prime them Saturday morning.

Brigades Member:
Force Hunter/ Demolitions

Bo-Katan Rebels Season 4 WIP

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2020, 09:03 AM »
sand sand sand sand sand sand sand sand

*Breathes*

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

MadCelt

• Just a little man trying to stay in God's plan.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2020, 09:27 AM »

*Breathes*

ACCURATE.

CaTra Dral

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan Growth Force Hunter Brigade Member 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2020, 10:58 AM »

*Breathes*

😂😂😂 a truer statement has not been spoken!

My boss let me work from home today. So of course my first thing was watching the new episode, now I’m trying to decide if he’d notice if I sanded and primed my other parts before I started working... I mean there is only so much daylight but I’ll always have invoices. Right? 😂

ETA: I couldn’t help it, I took some time during my lunch and sanded and primed my last printed parts. Even though it was only 36 degrees, it was too sunny to pass up! After work, I’ll sand and do a second coat of spot putty on everything.

« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2020, 12:19 PM by CaTra Dral » Logged
Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

Rayne

• Dralshy’a Tome (Stronger Together)
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Brigades Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2020, 09:40 PM »
Looking good! Gotta get in kit work when you can  :mcq1:

I found a few photos of the backs on the shins. It looks like they’re the same black as the boots.  Hope this helps!

Tra'cor Clan // MMCC#1968
Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

CaTra Dral

« Reply #30 on: Dec 19, 2020, 09:59 AM »
Thanks! I got a bit more work in after that, a second layer of spot putty on the knees, but nothing too exciting to write home about.  So many things are in the works today, I can’t wait to see what I get done.

The most exciting is that my dark saber blade finally came in!  I pick it up from my friend’s today.

Thank you for the great reference photos! I don’t know if I can get the leather all the way to black, but maybe I can take a swatch and try to dye it. If not, I’m sure I can find a use somewhere else.

I do have a question about the dark saber. Bo receives it at the end of the episode, so she never carries it. Is there an approved way to attach it? Sabine puts it on the back of her belt if I remember correctly. I don’t think I plan on having it on me all the time, especially since you would have to remove the blade and stash that somewhere. I was just curious.

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

CaTra Dral

« Reply #31 on: Dec 20, 2020, 09:46 PM »
So much done in the last two days! Progress makes me so happy.

Got my dark saber in. I do wish it had some of the white scrollwork in the dark part, but it’s pretty cool. It will not leave my hands at cons 😂

I sanded and primed a lot of things. My first jetpack piece came off the printer, and it looks a lot bigger! I’ve got the right top side printing to double check it’s the right width, and then I’m going to take a break and reprint my shins.

I will not buy a 2nd printer... I will not buy a 2nd printer...

Anyway. On to work. Yesterday, I added a comb to my headband to be able to put it on my wig. I’m not sure this will be a long term addition; contemplating adding a few stitches that can easily be removed. Originally I thought it was too big, but that was because it was in the wrong place. It is the perfect fit and on top of it,  there will be space to add the electronics for the lights. I ordered some small battery packs that should fit in it pretty perfectly. It will also fit in my chest piece and better in my gauntlet than the giant ones in my maul mando. Those should be coming in this week, I hope.

All the buttons are done and installed. Only one problem... despite all the reference photos and me checking a million times, I put one of the side pieces on the wrong dang side. Pulled it off, sanded it down and will reglue it after the electronics are added. Oh well, it’s still fixable.

These pieces are ready for the second coat of primer:

On to paint. It was a bit misty outside, but barely. This morning, I was able to paint my boot and hand plates.

I don’t know what happened after that. It was a hot mess. It got warmer, but everything bubbled and orange peeled. I thought at first it was unprimed Sintra vs primed 3D print, so I sanded down the Sintra and tried again. Nope! My painting was done for the day. Oh well. I’ll wait for a drier day. My guess is humidity. It won’t take much sanding to prep it again for paint to retry.

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

Rayne

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Brigades Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #32 on: Dec 21, 2020, 03:36 PM »
Paint issues are the worst! I hope it gets better for you!

Your pieces are coming together nicely though. Great job!

For the dark saber, since we don’t have any references of it on her belt, I would recommend a hidden attachment of some sort on the back of your belt.

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

CaTra Dral

« Reply #33 on: Dec 21, 2020, 06:57 PM »
They really are! But thanks! 😊 it’s so much fun getting these pieces to move forward.

Today it was a bit windy, but drier. I was able to get some painting done.

The ab plate and shoulders are ready to sand tonight and I’ll paint them tomorrow. Then the shoulders will go to my friend who painted my bucket so he can add the sigils. So excited to see that!!

Sounds good about the dark saber! I look into that.

I’ve already got my eyes on my next kit... ordered a resin cast bucket and flight suit for the live action version of Bo. Should be ready to get started on by the time this kit is done. 😂😂 I may need to get that second printer...

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

Rayne

« Reply #34 on: Dec 21, 2020, 08:40 PM »
Looking good!  Glad the weather has been cooperating for you!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

CaTra Dral

« Reply #35 on: Dec 21, 2020, 08:56 PM »
Thanks! I am too. In fact, it was so nice that I went ahead and painted my ab and shoulders. It is amazing to see some colors coming together; looking so much more like Bo!

I’m also glad I live in the middle of the country. Otherwise I’m sure people would think I’m crazy for going out in the dark to spray paint 😂 although, let’s be honest, that’s not the craziest thing I’ve done with prop building.

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

Mi'ix

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #36 on: Dec 22, 2020, 09:11 AM »
It's odd that we've really never seen the dark saber carried on anyone but Din's belt, but we still have to account for some practicality when translating animated to real life. 

As Rayne said, done in a subtle way at the back of the belt would be best. 

This reminded me of a similar issue with snowtroopers in Empire Strikes Back.  The regular stormtrooper costume has a black leather holster on the wearer's left side for the E-11 blaster rifle.  Snowtroopers, while carrying the same blaster do not have a similar holster of any kind.  However, people end up making a white leather holster all the same because they don't want to carry around their blaster all day.  So, in essence, a practical solution for a silly problem, like we have here. 

« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2020, 11:39 AM by Mi'ix » Logged
Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

CaTra Dral

« Reply #37 on: Dec 22, 2020, 11:26 AM »
It is so weird! I went and rewatched the mando episodes of Rebels and clone wars. Pre Vizsla had his on his jetpack, Sabine kept hers attached to the back of her belt somehow (there is no visible attachment) and I have absolutely no clue how Maul had it attached. Sheer hatred?

That is pretty funny about the snow troopers.

I could try magnets, but I’m worried with the weight of the hilt it would fall. It’s got a lot of heft. I’m also worried someone with sticky fingers might try to grab it and run, now that I think about it. So I probably will end up carrying the saber when I can, and if not it will stay in its case. I bought an architect tube and I’ll put foam in it to keep it from bouncing around.

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

CaTra Dral

« Reply #38 on: Dec 23, 2020, 11:34 AM »
Got some more work done; the second piece of the jetpack finished and it looks a lot more to scale. I’ll have to see if I can get comparison photos. The old one fits my friend’s 9 (I think?) year old daughter perfectly 😂😂

Dropped my shoulders off to have the sigils painted and picked up my chest plates to paint. I also put a second coat on the rest of the parts... in the dark in 38 degree weather. Everything survived, lol.

I gave up, my CR-10 V2 will be here the 29th. With kit 3 started, I need two printers to run everything. I might as well give in. I’ve got my shins currently on my V1, and I still have the jetpack and backplate to finish haha.

I do have a new question... any suggestions on how to attach the cod? I normally attach all of my armor by industrial velcro on the armor and sew on velcro on the flight suit. I worry that will look like plate lift on that though. I don’t really want to do magnets if possible. I worry about them staying put. I lost so many detonators on my first troop, I don’t want to have to wonder where in the world my armor has disappeared to... I am open to any and all suggestions.

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

Rayne

« Reply #39 on: Dec 23, 2020, 12:09 PM »
Yay jetpack!  Those pieces are looking really nice!

For cod attachment, I stick with velcro. Pins on a cod sound terrible, magnets might pop with movement, rivets might work, then it’s never coming off. To make sure you don’t have float with the velcro, maybe try to get the velcro placement closer to the edges of the plate like 1/2 inch or so without it being visible. That’s should hold it in place with minimal gap.

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

CaTra Dral

« Reply #40 on: Dec 24, 2020, 12:57 AM »
Thanks! Perfect, I  will stick with velcro. Can’t wait for my flight suit to start working on some of the placement! Weathering is next though.

I glued the first pieces of my jetpack together; once my shins come off the printer I’ll resume. I tested it against my current arena jetpack. They are pretty close to the same width, and should be a similar height. Here is a size comparison and a photo of my current jetpack; keeping in mind that my Bo Katan jetpack body is only 4 pieces with one top piece and the deathwatch jetpack for my current kit is six pieces, I think it should be pretty close.

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

CaTra Dral

« Reply #41 on: Dec 27, 2020, 12:52 AM »
Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. I’ve been making slow but steady progress;  nothing to write home about but at least it is forward momentum. I finally have some small improvements to post about.

Shins are off the printer, as well as the top piece of the jetpack. Last two pieces of the jetpack will start tomorrow.

I assembled the shins, bondoed, spot puttied and primed them. Just need to sand and prime one more time and I’ll be ready to paint.

Printer #2 was set up and just needs leveling, haha. Just in time for me to pretty much be done with this kit, but ready for kit 3 😂

Started making a list of what is left. This is what I think I have:
Print Jetpack bottom section
Print jetpack thrusters
Print backplate
Cut thighs and holsters and paint
Assemble and paint jetpack
Assemble and paint backplate
Paint shins
Print belt buckle and paint
Weather armor
Paint sigils on shoulder
Cut leather belts
Finish pouches
Add light gray panels to flight suit
Make flak vest and neck seal
Make gloves
Mount armor on soft goods
Weather soft goods
LEDs on gauntlets and chest plates

Starting to get shorter. It’s awesome to see things get ticked off.

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

Rayne

« Reply #42 on: Dec 27, 2020, 08:43 AM »
Prints are looking good! Great job on the print lines on the shins!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

CaTra Dral

« Reply #43 on: Dec 27, 2020, 05:09 PM »
Thanks! 😊 I think I’m starting to get the hang of it with so many items I’ve done for these kits, haha.

It was warmer today, so I started putting base layers down. I was even so adventurous as to tape off and try a second color. I need to paint some details gray, fix a few places the tape took off the paint, and then weather it.

« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2020, 05:14 PM by CaTra Dral » Logged
Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

CaTra Dral

« Reply #44 on: Dec 28, 2020, 11:36 PM »
Started weathering some of my armor today. I am going to start with a blackwash and then I’ll add damage after that. I didn’t get most of it done, but I did get it started.

I always love seeing the difference between clean and weathered pieces. I did try to recreate some of the damage on the shin, but didn’t love it. It’s a good thing the blackwash fixes all sins. It gave me a clean (well, dirty) slate to start over with tomorrow.

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

Rayne

« Reply #45 on: Dec 29, 2020, 09:34 AM »
Looking good! Can’t wait to see how you finish them!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Mi'ix

« Reply #46 on: Dec 29, 2020, 09:39 AM »
I was just about to ask what your weathering process was for this kit.

Bringing the animated feel to real life presents certain challenges that we take a little bit closer look at here in Brigades.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

CaTra Dral

« Reply #47 on: Dec 29, 2020, 10:01 AM »
Thanks 😊

Absolutely! I am trying to match the damage as close as possible and really bring that animated look to life. So far, the plan is to black wash and let it really set in the corners, scrubbing to bring the color out on the main parts of the armor so it still matches and doesn’t darken the paint too much. Then I’ll layer dark to light for damage, such as the shin. Because the animated version doesn’t really have a lot of 3 dimensional look to it, I really don’t want to create a lot of actual trauma to the plates.

Does it look ok so far? I am 100% open to scrutiny, as well as any suggestions you have.

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

CaTra Dral

« Reply #48 on: Jan 23, 2021, 07:37 PM »
Well... I wish I had better updates but I certainly don’t!

My jetpack was still majorly too small. Not a kids sized, but maybe teenager now. To top it off, one of the bottom pieces is measured at a different point so when scaled, it was either too long or too tall.

I did buy armorsmith but haven’t started using it yet. I’m curious how a multi-piece Jetpack and backplate will work with it. Also still having issues with my printer, so it’s been down and not printing. I took a break from everything after the disappointment of my jetpack being too small.

I am currently recovering from back injections received yesterday, so I’m using this time to regroup. I’m also waiting on a lot of pieces for my live action bo to come in, but one thing at a time!

This kit is not dead, for sure. Last time I got stuck, posting in my WIP helped dislodge me from my block, so I figured it was worth it to try again. It also helped remind me I need to weather quite a few of my pieces 😂

Onward and upward!

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

Rayne

« Reply #49 on: Jan 23, 2021, 08:53 PM »
That’s a bummer! We’ve all been there.  Sometimes it helps to step away for a minute and refresh. I feel your pain with the printer. I have walked away from it many times and just taken a breath.  Maybe you could sell the jetpack to someone who wants a smaller one?

There’s no rush. Take your time. You’ll get it figured out!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!