Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Fabrics for soft parts

• 10 Replies

Arminius

Fabrics for soft parts
« on: Nov 10, 2020, 02:16 AM »
I already have a flight suit and just bought some leather vinyl for my flak vest, but I was wondering about what other materials and fabrics would work best for a kama, sash and cape or cloak. Here are my current options:

• Kama: Gray duck cloth, originally vinyl.
  • Cloak or cape: Dark brown duck cloth, gabardine or cotton twill. The latter appears to be a more common choice according to my research.
  • Sash: Army/olive green cotton twill or tergal fabric

What type of fabrics would be best to use for each one of these and about how much would I have to buy of each one of them?

The strongest stars have hearts of kyber, but the strongest warriors have hearts of beskar.

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
Re: Fabrics for soft parts
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2020, 08:06 AM »
You're probably doing well enough on your own with fabric choices.  Duck is good for kamas, and twill is good for capes.  You'll need about 2 yards for each of them with some left over when they're done.

Arminius

« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2020, 08:33 AM »
You're probably doing well enough on your own with fabric choices.  Duck is good for kamas, and twill is good for capes.  You'll need about 2 yards for each of them with some left over when they're done.

Thanks. I was thinking of getting at least 1 to 2 meters of each of the fabrics I'll use depending on the size of the roll.

Would twill be good for the sash as well?

The strongest stars have hearts of kyber, but the strongest warriors have hearts of beskar.

jethroskull

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2020, 10:54 AM »
I'm all about the canvas duck cloth, myself. Using it for almost everything.

Arminius

« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2020, 11:35 AM »
I'm all about the canvas duck cloth, myself. Using it for almost everything.

I like it too but I didn't find the right color for the sash so I think I'll use twill and leave the duck cloth for the kama. I may use it for the cape and the cloak as well.

jethroskull

« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2020, 12:11 PM »
Twill is probably better for the sash anyway since it should wrap. Get a contrast of texture as well as colour.

Arminius

« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2020, 12:46 PM »
So duck cloth for the kama, twill for the sash and either for the cape and cloak? Between duck cloth and twill which one would be better for a cape and which one would be better for a cloak?

jethroskull

« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2020, 01:35 PM »
If the cape is going to be primarily "Lando-style" and just look good, go with a nice woven. If you are making a cloak to stand up to the elements I'd go duck or a good weight wool twill. I used a 15-oz canvas for my poncho but I'm aiming for a specific look.

Arminius

« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2020, 03:11 PM »
The cape is meant to be similar to Djarin's but wool would be a huge problem with weight and temperature so I guess I'll use duck cloth for that one to mantain a balance between resilience to the elements while making it somewhat aesthetically pleasing. As for the cloak it's meant to be simplistic but somewhat functional, similar to medieval cloaks, so I might use the same brown duck cloth. Any idea how much I would have to buy of that one just for the cloak?

jethroskull

« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2020, 03:36 PM »
It will depend on fabric width and how long/your height but the pattern I'm looking at requires 4-6 metres depending.
 You're right about the cape, a cotton or blend twill would work well.

Arminius

« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2020, 10:37 PM »
The width of the roll is 2.8 meters and I read somewhere that I'd need from 5 to 7 meters for a hooded cloak, and since I'm making it to wear it with the armor it has to be bigger than my size, so probably the 7 meters. That would increase the cost significantly so I guess I'll have to use the duck cloth for the cape and the twill for the cloak since the twill is half the price of the duck cloth.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!