Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Laaran's Protector WIP

• 41 Replies

Laaran Dala

• Though she be but little, she is fierce.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
Laaran's Protector WIP
« on: Nov 10, 2020, 04:56 PM »
Hello vode!  Well, since I've got a pretty good start on my Protector, I figured I should probably post a WIP up in here  ;)

So, first of all, I used this pattern for my flightsuit (no pictures as of now - I'll fix that later)

Going this route was a new experience for me, since I'm very much the "use knock-off Under Armour for my flightsuit" type.  My clanmate Rayne sewed it for me and it looks amazing.  Since I'm a fairly small person, she had to do a LOT of modifications to the pattern (for example, the thigh pocket pieces literally covered the entire front of my leg  :laugh: ), so I wanted to make sure I gave her some props for her work  ;D

I also bought the small version of the NME Merrcenary for my bucket:

This bucket is beautiful and is the only bucket I've purchased so far that legitimately feels like it's sized correctly.  I foresee more of these buckets for future builds.

And I used the WOF templates for my armor:

I'm also using the WOF templates for the knees, but since they're going to take a lot of work, I honestly haven't started on them yet  :rolleyes:

I also have 3D-printed pre-production gaunts, which I have yet to finish:

There's a small concern that they might not be big enough to fit over my flightsuit, but I haven't had a chance to test this yet.

My jetpack is also a 3D print (no pictures yet) which I also haven't tackled at this point.

I typically do all of my own painting (sans weathering), but on this kit, I wanted to make sure it was done right, so my resident paint expert (and very good friend) Mi'ix did all my paint for me...I owe him a LOT for this:

Primer:

Base Paint:

And the finished product:

Oh, and we can't forget the bucket!

I made my gloves over quarantine - these are just white cotton gloves that I dyed a dark brown.  I then used the same tackle twill that I'll be using for my flak vest and neck seal for the finger pads:

They're not perfect by any means, but I'm pretty happy with them.  I will most likely forego any patches on them for now - everything that I've found so far would cover the entire back of my hand.  If I find something smaller that will work, I may change my mind.

I have some black Chelsea boots that I bought on Amazon, and I bought some machined-aluminum toe spikes on Etsy.  Fair warning, these things are pretty sharp - I accidentally stabbed myself in the leg while carrying the boots in from my car once  :laugh:

I'm also working on my pouches.  These are Jango-style.  These were my first foray into leather-working, and I may actually redo them now that I have more experience under my belt.  Speaking of belts, I haven't gotten around to making that yet, but belts are easy so I'm not too worried about that.

Lastly, I just bought some of my shin tools:

And this is what I meant by my being a small person - the squeegee basically covers my entire shin lol

So, here's what's left to do:

• Gaunts
  • Jetpack
  • Jetpack harness
  • Flak vest
  • Neck seal
  • Shin tools
  • Belt (and any holsters)
  • Spats
  • Boba-thong (yippee)
  • Knees
  • Attachments (will likely be going with magnets for this)

I almost forgot that I have my girth belt 98% done as well.  I dyed it with wood stain and now just have to figure out my straps.  I also need to figure out a blaster.  I have a DLT-19X already for a different kit, but the thing is huge and I'd rather NOT lug it around all the time at events.  So yes, still a lot of work to do but we're well on the way!  ;D

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
Re: Laaran's Protector WIP
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2020, 05:10 PM »
My goodness you have some hairy hands!

Seriously glad to see you over here.

Easy reprint of the gauntlets if they're a little small!

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Rayne

• Dralshy’a Tome (Stronger Together)
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Brigades Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2020, 05:42 PM »
Yay protector build!

You’ve done a great job on your pieces. I look forward to watching your build come together

Tra'cor Clan // MMCC#1968
Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2020, 07:10 AM »
Looking good, nice work so far

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2020, 11:17 PM »
Whaaaaaaat?!

Laaran's working on a Protector too!? This is awesome! Our tri-state area is gonna have quite a few! I forsee a photo shoot in the future!

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2020, 12:32 PM »
Whaaaaaaat?!

Laaran's working on a Protector too!? This is awesome! Our tri-state area is gonna have quite a few! I forsee a photo shoot in the future!

1,000,000% This. This is so exciting and you have quite the start for sure. Been watching Mi'ix's instagram account hoping I would see this thread pop up on here at some point and that day has finally come! I am digging those blue kill stripes! - Welcome to the cluuuuuub.  ;)

I would say that the shin tools definitely look a little large for you. If you are in the market for a new blaster or something else to go on the shins, I have a few blasters available still and have vibro daggers for sale that would look amazing on your leg  :laugh:

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Laaran Dala

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2020, 07:05 AM »
Thanks everyone!  I did do a test on the gauntlets and it looks like they should fit fine over the flightsuit (although they probably won't need much if any padding, which is a first for me!)

I also cranked out my spats yesterday before all the Thanksgiving festivities:

Funny story: after being very careful to NOT make two of the same side...I made two of the same side  ???  So I had to tear out the stitching on one, re-fold and re-iron the edges and sew it again.  I was also running EXTREMELY low on my gray thread, and since these were the last items I had to use it on, I really didn't want to buy a whole new spool.  By the time I was done resewing the spat and attaching the Velcro, I had about three inches of thread left...talk about cutting it close!  :laugh:

I also made my belt a week or two ago (no pictures at the moment), so that's another thing off the list.

I am once again working from home, so I'm hoping to use some of the extra time I'll gain on this kit.  I probably won't do much on the gaunts and jetpack at this point, just because I don't want to sand/bondo/etc. in my house.  I do still have to do my flak vest, however, and that will be a adventure in and of itself so that will probably keep me busy for a little while. 

Left to do:
  • Knees
  • Shin Tools (I have the parts in my possession, just have to make them)
  • Gaunts
  • Jetpack
  • Jetpack harness
  • Boba-thong
  • Flak Vest
  • Neck Seal
  • Attachments

Rayne

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Brigades Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2020, 09:44 AM »
Your spats look great!

I hate it when that happens! Remaking things is terrible! And running out of these in the middle is even worse!  Glad it worked out for you!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Laaran Dala

« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2020, 07:09 AM »
Ok!  So just a small update.  I thought I'd take some of the time from the holidays to FINALLY get some pictures of my flightsuit (not ON me, but hopefully I can get some of those soon):

I also got a picture of my belt:

Nothing too fancy on that.  I also re-dyed my pouches to that they're also that nice dark brown color.

And lastly for this update, due to COVID I had no plans on Christmas day, so I made my neck seal

After putting it on, I have a feeling I'll have to trim down the cowl portion of it, but I'm not going to do that until I have my flak vest done.  That is next on the to-do list.  I'm off from now until the 4th of January, so I'm hoping I can get it (mostly) done in that timeframe.  Every flak I've done so far has a) been a side closure, and b) didn't involve any zippers, so this one is going to break some new ground for me.  But hey, that's partly why I do this hobby...to learn new skills!

Yet to do:

• Flak vest
  • Jetpack harness
  • Boba-thong
  • Jetpack
  • Knees (decided I'm going to print these, not build them out of sintra)
  • Gaunts
  • Shin tools
  • Other things that I know I'm forgetting  ???

Rayne

« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2020, 10:16 AM »
Very nice! Everything looks great!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2020, 07:55 PM »
I'm extremely jealous of your sewing skills.  :o

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Manco Fett

• I don’t want your armor, I want my armor.
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Boba and Jango
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2020, 10:40 PM »
 :boba: Very nice work with your kit.

I.G. @NorCal_Cap

Pre Pro 2- Boba Fett

Manco Fett- Mandalorian Protector
WIP  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=191488.0

WIP Legendary Galactic Gunslinger (Hopeful)
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=197283.0
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2020, 05:24 AM »
I concur

« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2020, 06:15 PM »
I agree with everyone else on how it’s coming along! Wish I could sew as good too.

Laaran Dala

« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2020, 07:54 AM »

lol thanks Kurshi. 

Speaking of sewing, I decided to make a "test vest" with some spare tackle twill I had (I wasn't sure what color I wanted, so I bought two.  I figured I'd use the spare to screw things up on instead of my good fabric  :laugh:).  I put this thing together in the past two days or so.

This actually turned out really well, so I'll probably end up finishing off the sleeves and make a neckseal for it and save it for a future kit.  I know the zipper is a little wonky, but it's the first zipper I've ever installed.  Not only that, but it's an invisible zipper, and I didn't have an invisible zipper foot so I was kind of flying by the seat of my pants whilst sewing it.  All that considered, I don't think it's too bad.  I'll have to add a flap to cover it, since it's not quite invisible, but I'm ok with that.  It's also a little too fitted around the bottom, which makes it...interesting...to get on and off.  Luckily I have weird shoulders, so I could Houdini myself out of it lol.  So with that discovery, I also want to make sure that the zipper in my REAL vest splits the back completely, so that won't be an issue.

Overall, a great learning experience, and hopefully my actual vest for this kit turns out as good as the test did!

Rayne

« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2020, 08:04 AM »
Your vest turned out great! Nice job! I like your plan of using it for another kit  :cookie:

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Laaran Dala

« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2020, 08:07 AM »
Thanks!  I figured since I put all the work into it, I might as well use the thing  ;D

Mi'ix

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2020, 09:03 AM »
Looks really good.

I trust when you mean sleeves you're going to add the shoulder bells for the vest?

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Fenn Beviin

« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2020, 11:13 AM »
Looks really good.

I trust when you mean sleeves you're going to add the shoulder bells for the vest?

Yep this lol but yeah, awesome work - make sure you practice those 1/4 shoulder bell 'sleeves' too.

What kind of material do you plan on using when you actually make your legit vest? I used a quilted pattern for mine which helps sell the heavy "armored" type look as opposed to just a plain fabric with no details.

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Mi'ix

« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2020, 12:11 PM »
What kind of material do you plan on using when you actually make your legit vest? I used a quilted pattern for mine which helps sell the heavy "armored" type look as opposed to just a plain fabric with no details.

Looks to be tackle twill al la Boba, so as is, the fabric would work.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Fenn Beviin

« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2020, 09:39 AM »
Looks to be tackle twill al la Boba, so as is, the fabric would work.

Oh right ha I didn't see that she had mentioned she got two of the same type of fabric just different colors, one to practice and one for the real thing lol

and for sure a use-able fabric - was just saying if she was still looking for a material to use quilted looks pretty great  ;)

Laaran Dala

« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2021, 05:21 PM »
Looks really good.

Yup, that's exactly what I mean  :)

So as promised, here are some pics of me IN the flightsuit:

The top snap is undone because I like to be able to breathe lol.

I've also had some time to work on the actual vest for this kit, and did a test fit over the flight suit to make sure it'll actually fit, and I think it turned out pretty well:

Again, the zipper looks a little wonky, but I believe it's just the angle.  This is a fully separating zipper so it makes getting the vest on WORLDS easier.  I'm currently working on the sleeves/bells for the vest and will have to make a flap to cover the zipper, but other than that it's basically done.  I'm hoping to finish it yet this weekend.

Mi'ix

« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2021, 08:05 PM »
Looking good!

Suit looks good. Little bit of bag in the sleeves, but I think that will cinch up with you put on your gaunts.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Laaran Dala

« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2021, 08:20 AM »
Suit looks good. Little bit of bag in the sleeves, but I think that will cinch up with you put on your gaunts.

I noticed that as well.  If the gaunts don't take care of it I don't think it's a difficult fix.

In other news, I've finished my flak vest!

My biggest concern is the sleeve/shoulder bells.  Let me know if you think they're sticking out too far or if they look asymmetrical.  I've been staring at them for so long that I need some outside opinions lol.  You can see the excess for the shoulders through the flak - I'll trim that back once I know my placement is good.

Now that the vest is done, we're moving on to plate attachments.  Yay progress!

Update:  Decided to do a full soft-parts test (plus bonus cod plate), since I haven't been able to do that yet:

My spats would have been included, but when I put them on I decided they were too small, so they'll have to be remade.  I'll also probably end up making an extension for my gloves so the flightsuit doesn't stick out the end of the gaunts (which it definitely will at this point).  So, a couple things have to be added to the "To-Do's" but nothing major.

« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2021, 03:35 PM by Laaran Dala » Logged

Rayne

« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2021, 08:17 AM »
Looking good! You’re cap sleeves should be fine. You just need enough to hold the shoulder plates. The BRL doesn’t specify a size for them.

Can’t wait to see it all together!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!