Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Laaran's Protector WIP

• 41 Replies

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
Re: Laaran's Protector WIP
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2021, 08:59 AM »
Looks really good, Laaran!

I know there was a question of the Boba thong awhile back, but since you're using the Jango style cod plate, then it's not something to worry about.   :)

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Laaran Dala

• Though she be but little, she is fierce.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2021, 07:57 AM »
Thanks guys!  Now that I can actually get into this kit (at least parts of it), I'm really Jonesing to get it finished (this won't happen of course because I live in Michigan and the weather this time of year is pretty prohibitive of sanding/painting outside  :( )  However, I did start working on my plate placement:

Adjustments will have to be made since the mannequin and I are not even remotely the same measurements, but I figured I could start there and then make small fixes to the spacing as needed. 

Rayne

• Dralshy’a Tome (Stronger Together)
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Brigades Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2021, 09:06 AM »
Very nice! Just a few tweaks and you’ll be ready to go!

Tra'cor Clan // MMCC#1968
Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2021, 11:19 PM »
Awesome! Looking great. Love seeing the plates on the vest  :like:

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2021, 12:58 PM »
Awesome progress! How are you attaching your plates? Snaps or magnets?

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Laaran Dala

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #30 on: Jan 07, 2021, 03:44 PM »
Awesome progress! How are you attaching your plates? Snaps or magnets?

I'm using magnets, so I'll probably end up sewing little pockets on the inside of the vest for them...not particularly looking forward to that  ???  I may do an experiment with glue.  That's what I did on a previous kit, and it worked pretty well.  However, that vest was suede and not NEARLY as porous as the tackle twill, so I'm 99.9% sure it won't work, but I'd like to test it out.  If I can get out of sewing pockets I'll be a very happy Mando lol.

Rayne

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Brigades Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #31 on: Jan 07, 2021, 03:57 PM »
You could try HeatnBond iron on adhesive. It’s used for things like patches. I don’t know if it’s be strong enough to hold the magnets, but it might worth testing out.

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Laaran Dala

« Reply #32 on: Feb 10, 2021, 02:34 PM »
Alllllllright.  Smallish update here.  I've sort of got my 3D printer up and running, so I've started working on the parts I'm missing.  I printed my survival knife for my one of my shin pockets:

And printed my second knee (the first was printed by someone else).  I've got some layer shifts, but they shouldn't be too hard to erase with some sanding and bondo.  Although, depending on how my printer behaves, I may reprint it to see if I can get a better result:

I also printed my knee darts:

Still working on my plate spacing - I think I'll probably need some outside help on that so I don't drive myself crazy  ??? 

All in all, not a lot of progress, but still moving forward nonetheless.

Rayne

« Reply #33 on: Feb 10, 2021, 07:14 PM »
Yay! I’m happy you got your printer going. Your pieces are looking pretty good!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #34 on: Feb 11, 2021, 08:59 AM »
*grumble grumble* layer shift *grumble grumble*

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Tor Johaair

• Tor Johaa'ir
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Special Operations Brigade Member 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #35 on: Feb 13, 2021, 12:53 PM »
Did you find your stl files on Thingiverse or somewhere else?

I like those knees and once I get my printer dialed in I'd like to print mine also.

MMCC // #2191      Brigades #323
Tor Johaa'ir (Approved)
Striker Division: Spec Ops- Recon (Approved)

Justice, and Vengence. Though not necessarily in that order.

Laaran Dala

« Reply #36 on: Feb 14, 2021, 10:47 AM »
Did you find your stl files on Thingiverse or somewhere else?

I like those knees and once I get my printer dialed in I'd like to print mine also.

I found the knife and darts on Thingiverse.  The knees are from GreatApeStudioArt on Etsy.

Laaran Dala

« Reply #37 on: Jul 06, 2022, 05:51 PM »
Yes, I am still alive  :laugh:  I had to take a hiatus from this kit as I had a condition for 9 months that didn't really allow for working on armor  :P  However, I'm back to working on stuff, and while I don't currently have any pictures, here's where we stand:

- New flightsuit: I had to scrap the one Rayne made for me since it doesn't fit anymore, and unfortunately can't be let out  :'(  I did buy a set of white, short-sleeve Dickies coveralls that actually fit surprisingly well, so I've got to lob off a few inches from the legs, add sleeves and thigh pockets, and then dye the whole thing, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

- New spats: the ones I made previously were a) too small and b) now won't match the flightsuit, as they're made from the old fabric.  I'll get them made and dye them with the flightsuit for color consistency.

- New boots: I wanted square-toed Chelsea boots so that my toe-spikes will fit better.  Took me a while to actually find some in my size, but I did!

- Knees: I printed a new knee (with no layer shift!) and have since removed all print lines from both.  They've been sent to paint-master Mi'ix to be painted/weathered.

- Gaunts: The main gaunt bodies have been finished and sent to Mi'ix for painting.  I still have to finish filling/sanding the flamethrower and other attachments.

- Jetpack: This is the kicker.  I had one that was 3D-printed, but it's proving to be a bear to finish.  Since I'm a smallish person, I had a hunch that the toy Boba jetpack made by Disney might work for me size-wise, so I bought one...and it turns out I was right.  I'm now in the process of tearing it apart to disable the rocket launcher and lights/sounds.  Once that's done, I'll put her back together and start filling screw holes, sanding seams, etc.  The rocket is rubber with a foam tip, but the rubber portion actually looks pretty good, so I may just fill it with something light to help it keep its shape.  I also found that the rocket tip from my printed jet pack is the perfect size to replace the foam one, so I'll have to perform a little surgery and graft the rubber with the plastic.  Should be a good time  ???

As of right now, those are the only updates I can think of lol.  Hopefully I'll be able to get some photos posted soon. 

Ru'Stor Rawr

• Mjölnir
  • Awards Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Airmobile brigade member Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #38 on: Jul 06, 2022, 10:13 PM »
First of all, congrats! Foundlings are amusing!

I'm looking forward to following the updates, I'm glad you're back. It looks like you've already made some good progress.

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #39 on: Jul 07, 2022, 12:03 PM »
Woah woah woah. You got the Disney Fett pack with the lights and sounds and gutted out the electronics? Say whaaaaaaaaaaat?  :laugh:

Are you planning to put those back in once you decommission the launching part of the rocket?

Sounds like you have a solid game plan though and congrats on the other new addition as well!

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #40 on: Jul 07, 2022, 12:51 PM »
And now I know where the mini JP ended up at  :P :P :P

Definitely wanna follow this build.

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Laaran Dala

« Reply #41 on: Jul 07, 2022, 02:12 PM »
Woah woah woah. You got the Disney Fett pack with the lights and sounds and gutted out the electronics? Say whaaaaaaaaaaat?  :laugh:

Are you planning to put those back in once you decommission the launching part of the rocket?

Honestly I'm not...it would require rewiring to switches and other things that I just don't want to deal with (and having lights/sounds isn't THAT big of a deal for me :laugh:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!