Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Where to start.....

• 2 Replies
Where to start.....
« on: Nov 10, 2020, 09:57 PM »
HI everyone, my 14 year old daughter wants to make a Mando costume.  With Christmas coming up, that might a great starting part.  So I thought I would ask you all what would be the best starting point for her.  Should I get an armor kit and let her paint and do the soft goods for her first build?  If so, do you recommend a good vendor to start off with?  I saw a female kit on eBay for $135 without helmet.  I have been around SW for a long time, but never done any costuming myself.  Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
Re: Where to start.....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2020, 01:18 PM »
A helmet is probably the best place to start. The colour and style can set the tone for the rest of the armour. Also, it's something you can get done relatively quickly.

Oya!

Andry         ; )

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
Re: Where to start.....
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2020, 01:48 PM »
I agree with starting with the helmet. It can be the most difficult and time-consuming part of your kit, but it’s also the most iconic part. It definitely pays to take your time with it; I don’t have a dedicated workspace, so I can only work on mine in decent weather. I’m in my third month working on it and I’m almost done.

Working on the helmet will definitely give you skills that will come in handy for making the rest of the gear. Since she’s only 14, she’s not eligible to become a Merc, although there are MMCC subgroups specifically for younger members. The costume requirements are a bit easier as well, so you don’t need to spend hundreds on a cold-cast resin helmet that she’s just going to outgrow in a few years.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!