Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My weapons WIP

• 5 Replies
My weapons WIP
« on: Nov 20, 2020, 01:20 AM »
I just got my blaster so I'm in a good position to start my weapons.

The blaster is from 3DPrintMercMart on Etsy, designed by Sergey Kolesnik of 3DPrintToys.  The vibrodagger and sheath is from our own Fenn Beviin.  I'm thinking of doing a coat of XTC-3D or similar product for the blaster to eliminate the print lines, but maintain the detail, because, lots of really nice detail, this picture does not do it justice.

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
Re: My weapons WIP
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2020, 02:06 PM »
Hey hey!!

That is a good looking knife you have there  ;)

I can't really assist with the print line issue but from what I have read, those products you mention seem to work well. Even just a heavier coat of primer/filler in certain areas might help while masking off the areas you want to protect the details on. Then finish up with a spot/glazing putty as needed

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2020, 05:06 AM »
Hey hey!!

That is a good looking knife you have there  ;)

I can't really assist with the print line issue but from what I have read, those products you mention seem to work well. Even just a heavier coat of primer/filler in certain areas might help while masking off the areas you want to protect the details on. Then finish up with a spot/glazing putty as needed

It is a good looking knife, thank you for providing it.  The issue with masking, is the details are the little things like panel lines and inset greeblies.  For example the whole top of the pistol is detailed with an "action"; like if you were to look at the top of a Luger you can see the toggle lock, it's like that, so stuffing masking tape into all the little lines surrounding all the flat bits and trimming it...it may be a good way of doing it, but patience is a virtue and as it happens, in said virtue, I have been weighed, I have been measured, and I have been found wanting.  I also don't have any liquid latex or masking fluid, which would be the easiest and probably quickest way of doing it.

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2020, 06:43 AM »
It is a good looking knife, thank you for providing it.  The issue with masking, is the details are the little things like panel lines and inset greeblies.  For example the whole top of the pistol is detailed with an "action"; like if you were to look at the top of a Luger you can see the toggle lock, it's like that, so stuffing masking tape into all the little lines surrounding all the flat bits and trimming it...it may be a good way of doing it, but patience is a virtue and as it happens, in said virtue, I have been weighed, I have been measured, and I have been found wanting.  I also don't have any liquid latex or masking fluid, which would be the easiest and probably quickest way of doing it.

Glad you like it! Also I appreciate the Knights Tale reference. A very underrated movie.

As you mention, that would be a time consuming process for sure. How large are the separation detail lines? If masking fluid might be the best route to take you could always attempt the poor man's version with toothpaste. Put it in a piping bag with a real small hole cut out of the tip and pipe the toothpaste over the smal detail lines you want to keep ans BAM! Make shift masking liquid. I used toothpaste in a similar fashion to weather all my armor. Might work for this as well  :like:

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2020, 05:06 AM »
If masking fluid might be the best route to take you could always attempt the poor man's version with toothpaste. Put it in a piping bag with a real small hole cut out of the tip and pipe the toothpaste over the smal detail lines you want to keep ans BAM! Make shift masking liquid. I used toothpaste in a similar fashion to weather all my armor. Might work for this as well  :like:
[Facepalm]  How could I forget toothpaste...I watch so many prop video on YouTube and they use everything from actual masking fluid to mustard.

« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2021, 04:09 AM »
I've been able to get a base coat on my Westar 35. I'm curious about the opinion of multicolored blasters. I know Sabine Wren has them, but what about an Original Character, should it be a grey/gunmetal or should it be painted to match my armor scheme? I like the idea of color matching, but my character is a pilot who puts more "faith" in his ship and piloting ability than his "ground game" as it were, basically he has a knife and gun in case his ship may not be readily accessible, like in a bar or forest. So keeping his armor and accessories minimal in terms of amount and style isn't outside the wheel house, but I can also see him taking the "This is my blaster, there are many like it, but this one is mine" approach and identify it as his by matching it to his armor.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!