Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

integrated soft cod/ flak vest

• 6 Replies

jfk36

integrated soft cod/ flak vest
« on: Nov 24, 2020, 08:00 AM »
I'm currently working on a pattern for my post imperial flak vest, and was wondering if I'd be allowed to make a padded soft cod as part of the flak vest a shown in the image below. The top section would be made from a single layer of heavy cotton duck fabric, but the lower/cod section would be padded with cotton batting and quilted to make for substantial protection for the groin area. The CRLs do state that the vest must not go past the waist items, however I was wondering whether that was to stop people wearing vests that are too long and look untidy, and whether this design might pass muster as the straight edge around the sides and back would be covered by the girth belt.

Why did the droid cross the road?

Because it was programmed by a chicken.

Post-Imperial WIP

Vintage flash unit droid caller WIP

jethroskull

• Haat Gai
Re: integrated soft cod/ flak vest
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2020, 10:50 AM »
Sadly, the flak must end and kamas/loins/cods must be a separate unit. I wanted my flak and kama to be a continuous unit but got a thumbs down.

Per the CRL:
The vest must not extend past waist items.

Any advice I give is strictly personal opinion and may not accurately reflect the CRLs.
Iím just an Unofficial Member making their way across the galaxy.

A'den Syngh
Gediníla - Jaro

jfk36

« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2020, 10:55 AM »
That's fair enough, it was worth a shot. In which case I'll probably just add plating to my legs as I don't fancy having a third thing attached to my waist in addition to my belt and girth belt.

EDIT:

I just had a brainwave, I could do a similar design in two pieces, along the lines of Din Djarin's cummerbund, which is allowed to pass the waist items. Problem solved  ;D Thank you for making me reconsider as it may actually be easier for me to make than my original plan, while still meeting the CRLs perfectly.

« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2020, 11:27 AM by jfk36 » Logged

Post-Imperial WIP

jethroskull

• Haat Gai
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2020, 11:51 AM »
I ended up with my kama and loin velcroed to my vest. Keeps it all together and keeps the vest pulled down snug.

Any advice I give is strictly personal opinion and may not accurately reflect the CRLs.

A'den Syngh
Gediníla - Jaro

jfk36

« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2020, 01:43 PM »
It's more of a soft armoured codpiece that I'm looking at, as having that means that I won't need any shin or thigh plates to meet the CRLS. Think a similar effect to a medieval gambeson.

Post-Imperial WIP

Corbin Das

• Keeper of the Killer Penny
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2020, 01:04 AM »
Had thought about something similar, then I saw someone recently post this:

That tan section isn't for a cod piece, but I like the concept. Not sure if you could use it with a modern armor set though, or if it's strictly Post Imperial.

jethroskull

• Haat Gai
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2020, 10:20 AM »
Thatís the Sionnach Studios pattern, itís a good one but Iím not sure that cummerbund would work for Modern, either. If you could gather it so itís shaped it might work, something akin to Vader or the baby-punching speeder bike gang.

A'den Syngh
Gediníla - Jaro

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!