Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Armor Build - WIP

• 3 Replies

Ego Solus

• Have Gun, Will Travel
First Armor Build - WIP
« on: Dec 06, 2020, 12:57 AM »
First complete suit up. 
This is the first time i put the full kit on together.  The gun belt and holster are just temporary.  I will be making an old west style gunfighter belt next.  I am also considering adding a cape, maybe.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I AM SCREWING UP!!!!!!!!!!!

First Armor build.  I am using 3mm expanded PVC.  Doubling up in some areas to add a little more depth. 

Began cutting and shaping pieces.  It is a LOT harder than I anticipated.  I don't know if I got impatient, or just need more practice, but I ended up with a few spots where my fingers left dents while trying to bend and shape pieces.  Is there a way to fix this?  I am thinking I may just use bondo on the areas to cover the dents, and then sand it smooth.  I am NOT looking forward to the complex curves of the backplate. 

A pic of my completed helmet to see the color scheme.

I have a few concept designs that here.

-or-

The overall concept KINDA looks like this.  I could not get a good copper color or metallic looking color for the design, so I am working with what I got.

I have a Merr-Sonn Power 5 resin blaster on order that I would like to use for my pistol.  I would like to have a long blaster as well, just don't know what to use yet.  I have a screen accurate all metal E-11 built out of an airsoft gun that I built a while back that I am thinking about using until I come up with a better idea.  I also have a Rey style blaster that I though would be cool for a standoff or secondary weapon.

UPDATE:

Finished cutting all my armor out.  Primed them, sanded them, and now they are ready for their second coat of primer.

Also received Merr Sonn Power 5 kit in the mail today. 

Tried to get some real world weathering to my flight suit.  Decided to wear it as I did all the work on the armor.

Parts primed, working on placement of plates. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THERE ARE ISSUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Armor painted.  After I let the paint set up for a day, I will add the graphite powder to create the metal appearance to match my helmet.  Then clear coat with Spraymax 2K, a quick sand with 1500 grit sandpaper, and a final wax with car polish.  After that, I will work on the weathering.

Any help, advice, answers, or constructive criticism will be accepted and appreciated.  Thanks everyone.

Re: First Armor Build - WIP
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2020, 01:45 PM »

I follow. but it looks like a good job :like:

spesso sei come una foglia in balia degli elementi, ti muovi seguendo il vento ma non sai mai che succede, e perché succede, segui solo il vento.

The child who plays grows, the adult who stops playing ages (E. Montale)
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2020, 06:17 AM »
Man it is really looking nice.

Ego Solus

• Have Gun, Will Travel
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2020, 11:18 AM »
UPDATE

Still waiting on the Spraymax 2K clear coat to arrive, so I am holding off on applying the graphite powder the the armor until it is here.  Once that arrives, I will apply the graphite, seal it with the clear, and weather the armor, and should be done with the hard parts.

finished up the paint and weathering on the mismatched leg armor. 

I have been thinking about purchasing 3D printed vambraces, because I really like the original set from Din Djarins'  busted up armor, before he got the shinny beskar.   
But before I buy it, I wanted to take a shot at making my own.  What do you think, does it work?

Weathering Test

Also build small handplates, one with a communicator on it.  It is the same communicator the rebel trooper used in ESB during the battle of Hoth.  I thought it would be a cool addition.

Lastly, I wanted to try and build a better knee.  The first one i build had one of the side plates break off when i dropped it, so I snapped the other side off.  I was never really that fond of it after that.  So I thought I would try something new out.  I actually used the "knee dart" pattern on both sides, but instead of bending the plate outward to attach knee darts, I tried wrapping it around backwards to make it hug the leg a bit more.  That way, I can help to hide elastic that I plan to use on the knee to hold it in place.

Trying to distress the parts a bit to add some age and weathering.

Applied the graphite powder to all the parts that get it.  Clear coated everything with a 2k automotive clear coat.  After 24hrs, once the top coat has cured, it will be time to wet sand, and polish the armor. 

UPDATE:

New leg armor, i decided I didnt like the mismatch look I was going with previously.  Also received some good feedback from a Facebook group, so I removed the copper color on the cod piece, as well as widened the should armor.  Apparently i had them shaped to look too small and tight on the shoulder.  I forgot to put on my neck seal.....

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!