Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Realistic leather weathering - food for thought.

• 0 Replies

jfk36

Realistic leather weathering - food for thought.
« on: Dec 12, 2020, 02:50 PM »
Whenever I've looked at methods used for weathering leather, they have always seemed rather harsh. Acetone, sandpaper, paint, etc. This is all well and good if your mando works in a harsh environment, e.g. a desert kit should probably have really dry cracked leather, and there are some absolutely beautiful examples of this on this forum, and used correctly can look absolutely incredible.

But what if your mando spends a lot of time in urban areas, or even out in the wild, but regularly returns to civilization? In my experience on expedition, when you're working in that kind of environment, you need to be able to rely on your kit, and as such, you will take great pains to maintain your kit. And what would well worn, but also very well cared for leather look like? Well, here's a real life example.

Those are a pair of original officer's gaiters that saw active service during the Second Boer War. For those of you not up to scratch with your British colonial history (in short, we came, we conquered, we stole), it was a conflict in South Africa over the British Empire's control of the region that lasted from 1899-1902, so those gaiters are roughly 120 years old. All I did was give them a very quick polish with a normal wax based polish and buffed it off again with an old rag.

And another example

That is an original M56 ammo pouch (you might recognise it as the pouch worn by shoretroopers in rogue one), dated to the late 1950s - early 1960s, so is at least 55 years old. Again all I did was give it a good clean, wax and polish.

So for those who don't fancy a massive weathering job, as long as your leathers are well broken in and softened down, give them a few layers of polish to build up some depth and you're golden.

« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2020, 03:49 PM by jfk36 » Logged
Why did the droid cross the road?

Because it was programmed by a chicken.

Post-Imperial WIP

Vintage flash unit droid caller WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!