Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Soft parts Question (Please answer and reply!)

• 6 Replies

Eternal

• Eternal lives, Eternal Protects!
Soft parts Question (Please answer and reply!)
« on: Dec 16, 2020, 11:23 PM »
Hello there Vod!

Just wondering if this material would be fine to make my vest and neck seal?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100-COTTON-POPLIN-FABRICS-CHOICE-OF-10-COLOURS-110CM-WIDE-PRICE-PER-1-2-MT/293772220708?hash=item4466305924:g:3D0AAOSwZR1ffs7v&var=592554754039
Changed the fabric
Would these clothes be fine to make a flight suit?
https://www.kmart.com.au/product/woven-cargo-pants/2851875
https://www.blankclothing.com.au/plain-t-shirt-long-sleeves-kids-frankie/?sku=RA-T220KS-BLK-12&dfw_tracker=52608-217-0015
How would I take off the pockets on the pants and how do I make the clothes look like it is a one piece?
Can I keep the side pockets on or how do I remove them?

What is an ammo belt... Is it just pouches on a belt?
Thanks for answering!

« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2020, 07:24 PM by Eternal » Logged
Helmet WIP:

Armour WIP: Coming soon

Soft parts WIP: Coming soon

jethroskull

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
Re: Soft parts Question (Please answer and reply!)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2020, 11:47 PM »
The drop cloth won’t act like fabric, it will be stiff and crinkly like the plastic coating. You want canvas or a similar cloth.

The point of “looking like one piece” is that they are the same colour exactly. Not easy to do shopping online from different stores. Try scrubs, many use them.

Cargo pants have multiple pockets, maybe not a good choice, probably. You will need a seam ripper or a very steady x-acto knife to remove the seat pockets.

Eternal

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2020, 07:19 PM »
The drop cloth won’t act like fabric, it will be stiff and crinkly like the plastic coating. You want canvas or a similar cloth.

The point of “looking like one piece” is that they are the same colour exactly. Not easy to do shopping online from different stores. Try scrubs, many use them.

Cargo pants have multiple pockets, maybe not a good choice, probably. You will need a seam ripper or a very steady x-acto knife to remove the seat pockets.
I changed the fabric

Helmet WIP:

jethroskull

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2020, 07:24 PM »
I changed the fabric

Poplin would be good for the flightsuit and neck but it's probably too light on its own for the vest.

Eternal

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2020, 07:25 PM »
Poplin would be good for the flightsuit and neck but it's probably too light on its own for the vest.
Can I use the drop cloth as the backing and then the poplin on the front?

Helmet WIP:

« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2020, 09:17 PM »
Generally duck cloth or canvas is used for the flack vest because it's rigid enough to hold plates without sagging, but also breathes a little.  You don't want to use anything too plastic or you'll be in danger of getting too hot. Some people use leather, or even pleather. Stick with the tried and true methods if you're going for membership here and use the search function! Lots and lots of really good info on this site.

Eternal

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2020, 09:32 PM »
Generally duck cloth or canvas is used for the flack vest because it's rigid enough to hold plates without sagging, but also breathes a little.  You don't want to use anything too plastic or you'll be in danger of getting too hot. Some people use leather, or even pleather. Stick with the tried and true methods if you're going for membership here and use the search function! Lots and lots of really good info on this site.
Would this work? https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/792732163/100-cotton-duck-fabric-high-quality?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=cotton+duck+fabric&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&frs=1&variation0=1348424588
Is one layer good enough for a vest?
Is there anyway to not sew a vest? Like a vest that is a trimmed hoodie or jacket?

« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2020, 10:30 PM by Eternal » Logged
Helmet WIP:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!