Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Breathe underwater?

• 8 Replies

Caleb E.

• This Is The Way
Breathe underwater?
« on: Dec 17, 2020, 06:34 AM »
I was wanting to my give my kit underwater capabilities, so I was thinking of making the helmet kind of like a diving helmet. I was inspired by this article https://medium.com/predict/how-to-build-a-diving-helmet-6d03847e5bf0. I could have the air tank in the back, and pipe the air into the helmet. My question is, how? Do I just slowly let the air trickly into the helmet? And have a pressure valve slowly release the pressure so it doesn't get too high? (Would that also cause circulation to get rid of the CO2?) Would cycling the air that way lower how long I would get out of a tank? My helmet weighs a good 8lbs. Would a simple chin strap be enough to keep it from floating off my head? I am using a motorcycle visor that is glued and caulked into the inside of the helmet. Would that be able to handle the pressure? I probably won't any deeper than 10ft of water, so I'm NOT going to be diving with it! And I assume there should be some sort of equalizer valve to equalize the pressure in the helmet with the air outside when I surface? Can anyone help give ideas for the parts I'm going to need? I don't know too much about using a tank instead of a hose to the surface. Thanks!

Caleb E.

• This Is The Way
Re: Breathe underwater?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2020, 12:23 PM »
Probably dumb, but I'll take the testing slow. I saw that some other people were able to do it, and I was wanting to try. I understand that this is dangerous, and will probably not end well, but it can't hurt to hear your ideas.

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2020, 12:36 PM »
you're gonna kill yourself man!!!

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2020, 01:47 PM »
This will only end in tears...

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2020, 02:07 PM »
I was wanting to my give my kit underwater capabilities, so I was thinking of making the helmet kind of like a diving helmet. I was inspired by this article https://medium.com/predict/how-to-build-a-diving-helmet-6d03847e5bf0. I could have the air tank in the back, and pipe the air into the helmet. My question is, how? Do I just slowly let the air trickly into the helmet? And have a pressure valve slowly release the pressure so it doesn't get too high? (Would that also cause circulation to get rid of the CO2?) Would cycling the air that way lower how long I would get out of a tank? My helmet weighs a good 8lbs. Would a simple chin strap be enough to keep it from floating off my head? I am using a motorcycle visor that is glued and caulked into the inside of the helmet. Would that be able to handle the pressure? I probably won't any deeper than 10ft of water, so I'm NOT going to be diving with it! And I assume there should be some sort of equalizer valve to equalize the pressure in the helmet with the air outside when I surface? Can anyone help give ideas for the parts I'm going to need? I don't know too much about using a tank instead of a hose to the surface. Thanks!

This seems more of a question for a diving club orr forum, not a star wars costuming forum...

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2020, 10:11 PM »
This seems more of a question for a diving club orr forum, not a star wars costuming forum...

I'll second that.  We only really know how to make things LOOK realistic here.  I don't think we have many SCUBA experts (but you never know).

Caleb E.

• This Is The Way
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2020, 09:41 AM »
I'll second that.  We only really know how to make things LOOK realistic here.  I don't think we have many SCUBA experts (but you never know).
It was worth a shot though! I know this is a costuming forum, but some of you guys make metal armor, so you're about as real as it gets in the cosplay realm.

Caleb E.

• This Is The Way
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2020, 09:44 AM »
you're gonna kill yourself man!!!
Yeah, I know it's dangerous. Just an idea ;D Thanks for the concern though! (I have help of an army vet, who used to do diving in not-to-the-books-ways, so he's helping me take it slow.)

Ge'tal Naast

• Awards Clan Growth
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2020, 08:14 AM »
It could be a cool thing to do, just to have done it.
I assume you are not actually wanting to dive with it, but just being able to go a few feet below the surface?
If you want to build a diving helmet that is actually functioning i would recommend that you build it from scratch with this in mind rather than changing an existing helmet. I would actually rather look into getting a real diving full face mask or helmet and pimp that out mandalorian style...

However if you just want to go below surface for a few minutes you should be fine.
I assume that you are going to do tests on depths where you can simply stand up if something breaks and not where you can not reach the bottom.

As you say, a continuous flow should do the trick if you att a outlet valve near the top of the helmet.
In that case you wouldn't have to worry about a release valve to when you surface either.

The higher the flow the more CO2 is released, so keep the gas flowing!
Hight flow also shortens the length underwater, If you have a 5 litre bottle you should still get a few minutes from it though.

When it comes to wether a strap will be enough to keep the bucket on, it is all a matter of what kind of strap, the volume of the (sealed) bucket and the weight of the bucket. Archimedes law, you know...

Depending on what you propose to do you can get away with much.
If you consider a free flow design and keep the helmet upright you can probably get away with it as a sort of primitive diving bell for you head. and not need much else that an airtight dome and open bottom...

But with all this being said, as a former diver, i would not recommend anyone risking their life doing this. It is dangerous if you do not know what you are doing.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!