Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP: Softparts Concept phase - Am I on track?

• 8 Replies

Squeeing_Onion

• If it can be imagined, it can be made.
WIP: Softparts Concept phase - Am I on track?
« on: Dec 18, 2020, 09:55 PM »
I have an obsession for the ribbed/lined fabric textures.  :porg2:

Design subject to change - Am I heading in the right direction? Sewing complexity is not an issue for me.

Flightsuit has no pockets on it, nor do the pants. 2 piece unit. Padded Flak Vest and Dickie neck cover/padding protection.

I will have gloves to cover the hands of course, but is it allowable to have the sleeves extend inside them with the thumb-holes? Won't be visible once I'm fully kitted out, will just be super comfy for keeping everything in place for me.

I love the idea of a crotch-strap style shirt to prevent it riding up, because I have a very dramatic pear shape body, so torso coverings tend to ride up the hips and bunch up. I know it'll make going to the bathroom during an event a nightmare, buuut... been there, done that, WORTH IT.

Materials for all soft parts will be all natural fibers; thinking cotton or canvas. I can't do polyester or it kills me in about three seconds flat, and historical reenactment has turned me into a fabric snob xD

Update - More detailed, larger drawing of the full ensemble concept:

« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2020, 11:20 PM by Squeeing_Onion » Logged
Re: WIP: Softparts Concept phase - Am I on track?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2020, 07:17 PM »
Not sure if it's approvable, I just started designing a kit myself, but I had the same idea.  :D I tried a mock up of a normal flak vest pattern and it just doesn't sit right with the curves. It wants to bunch up around the chest area, I imagine having a belt and any other waist items sliding around on top would also make it twist if not secured.  I think the regulations state that the vest can't show beyond the waist items. Maybe if the pants come up high enough to meet any belts it would work? Or the bottom of the vest could be in the same fabric as the undershirt so it just looks like the undershirt is tucked into pants? Maybe one of the approval team will have an answer?

*See you space cowboy*

jethroskull

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2020, 07:52 PM »
Also a noob but I've been reading and watching for a while...

As long as the visible garment "appears" to be one-piece then you're good. Your 'exit strategy' (which is very wise) will be hidden by the lower half and the waist hidden by sash/girth and belts. Pockets are allowed, just not the usual ones.

As for the vest, adjust for you. I have seen several WIPs with fitted, quilted vests. Look around the Female Armor section and just start opening WIPs. There is so much info out there, victories and mistakes, that can help you.

Rhue_Shofytt

• Diet Sprite
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2020, 08:07 PM »
I'm also not App Team, but everything looks good to me! I might steal your idea about the thumb holes to stop your sleeves from bunching up, that's genius! And I agree with jethroskull, you can definitely do a padded vest, the only thing you'll want to be careful of is how hot all those layers will start to get, but you said you're a historical costumer so you'll probably be fine  :P

Per aspera, ad astra

First WIP

jethroskull

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2020, 09:20 PM »
Oh, yes, the thumb holes! Brilliant! Not an issue as long as the cloves aren’t attached.

Squeeing_Onion

« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2021, 12:54 AM »
 :porg2: Vor'e! Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I tried a mock up of a normal flak vest pattern and it just doesn't sit right with the curves. It wants to bunch up around the chest area, I imagine having a belt and any other waist items sliding around on top would also make it twist if not secured.  I think the regulations state that the vest can't show beyond the waist items. Maybe if the pants come up high enough to meet any belts it would work? Or the bottom of the vest could be in the same fabric as the undershirt so it just looks like the undershirt is tucked into pants?

I believe you're right on the note of the vest not being allowed to extend below the waist items. One of the things that might help you with a vest is making sure it doesn't extend below the curve of your waist; the ribcage is rigid, and tends to rotate as a unit, so while there will always be some room for fabric on top of it to "shift" and "twist" - you are far less likely to get any uncomfortable bunching or major shifting if the vest is fitted to the ribcage + making sure it's a snug fit.

If it's not snug, it has that much more room for give to shift around.

As for your other questions, I'm assuming those are in regards to your soft-parts build, rather than mine, right? The bottom "flight suit" is, when your kit is fully assembled with armor, accessories, etc, supposed to look like one solid unit. To my current understanding the flak vest can be a different color (correct me if wrong!) but you can have a two-piece flight suit (ie; pants and shirt) provided it -looks- like it's one piece under that, as Jethro said.

You basically just need to hide the seam of the pants, which in my build, I intend to do with a thick girth belt + Kama + All The Hip Things

I'm also not App Team, but everything looks good to me! I might steal your idea about the thumb holes to stop your sleeves from bunching up, that's genius! And I agree with jethroskull, you can definitely do a padded vest, the only thing you'll want to be careful of is how hot all those layers will start to get, but you said you're a historical costumer so you'll probably be fine

MUH LAYERS. Yep, heat is an issue for me, but between the fabrics I plan on using and the way I'll layer things, I should be able to keep it comfortable both for warmer weather and for cold weather. The hardest part will be having to have my arms fully covered... I usually leave my elbows bare because it provides like, blood-circulation-A/C xD

That's one reason I'm going for the quilted/padded flak vest - I want a fairly thin material for the undershirt, which will make it cooler (and not be great for cold events by itself), and provide the needed protection for the metal armor plates when I inevitably bump into things.

Re: thumb holes: DO EEEET steal away! I -hate- clothes bunching up out of where I want things to be, because it always ends up so uncomfortable even without considering how it looks. It's probably the first thing I think of any time I put an outfit together.

Starling

• they/he
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2021, 04:03 PM »
You’ve got some brilliant ideas! I’m also stealing the thumb holes. I’m gearing up towards making my own soft parts, so this thread has been sooooo helpful to look through!

Ibic cuyir te ara (This is the way)
Ke nu’jurdakir sha Mando’ade! (Don’t mess with mandalorians!)
concept thread https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=199627.msg2196932#msg2196932
Build thread http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=199744.0
Soft parts WIP http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=200087.new#new

Sylvilagus

• Kerru Bhan
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2021, 05:15 PM »
Psst. Put 2-3 small snaps in the crotch of your bodysuit. I have them on Ventress' leotard and it makes things lots easier...

She told me never venture out among the asteroids
But I did, I did, I did
And she said that the Milky Way was something to avoid
And I did, I did, I did
She said that Venus was too hot and Saturn not much fun
Bug-eyed monsters tended to be just a trifle dumb
She said I'd need a blaster and I'd need a freezer-gun
And I did, I did, I did...

Squeeing_Onion

« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2021, 10:14 PM »
Good shout! I plan on using snaps :D I have an old vintage shirt my grandma wore in highschool, and it has a crotch strap with snaps, which is where I got the idea from; so comfy!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!