Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Question about bandolier design/ material

• 9 Replies
Question about bandolier design/ material
« on: Dec 20, 2020, 10:36 AM »
Would making something like this out of a webbing material work for the bandolier requirement?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HGASYA0/?coliid=I2L97EQEXOEF9E&colid=LA408WVDQ6YB&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I'm trying to do like a combat engineer type build, and thought something like this would look super cool(if done properly), and as I don't have too much leather working ability, I thought that a mesh would work for the general theme of an engineer.

ANy feedback is appreciated, thank you!

jethroskull

• Haat Gai
Re: Question about bandolier design/ material
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2020, 11:27 AM »
When you say "bandolier requirement" which CRL are you referring to? I'm not sure suspenders would count but I'm curious to see what you are working from.

”If you see the Force in hyperspace, kill the Force.”

A'den Syngh
Gedin’la - Jaro
Ruug'la bal o'r te ara
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2020, 11:35 AM »
The modern CRL. The premise behind the idea is that I want to be able to strap a bunch of tools/ bits and bobs to it.

I guess it isn't very "bandolier"ish, but maybe If I instead cross the shoulder straps across the chest?

jethroskull

• Haat Gai
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2020, 11:51 AM »
Okay, I’m with you now. When you say ‘requirement’ it makes me think of an item that is required, which a bandolier is not.

As to using that harness system you might find yourself having to do a lot of work to make it less earthy, and at over a hundred bucks... you can get a piece of pleather and sew a bandolier for twenty bucks.

There’s also the question of such an involved harness over your gear. It will make your plate alignment more critical and possibly difficult to keep straight.

My two cents? Take care of your basic requirements first and worry about engineer bits after approval.

A'den Syngh
Gedin’la - Jaro
Ruug'la bal o'r te ara
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2020, 11:53 AM »
That's good advice, thank you. I'm just lookin' at bits and getting excited for everything lol.

jethroskull

• Haat Gai
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2020, 12:00 PM »
I get it but it’s easy to get carried away and try to do too much. Basic approval really doesn’t need a lot of extras, that’s part of the fun. You start with a relatively clean slate and upgrade over the years.

Trust me, I’ve fallen into the “too much” trap and have to be careful which part of the project I actually invest in.

A'den Syngh
Gedin’la - Jaro
Ruug'la bal o'r te ara

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2020, 12:13 PM »
webbing tends to scream earthly tactical gear which is something you really want to avoid where possible.

jethroskull

• Haat Gai
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2020, 12:39 PM »
A better resource would be military surplus. You can get ammo belts like the Tusken Raiders use. Much easier to make “in world.”

A'den Syngh
Gedin’la - Jaro
Ruug'la bal o'r te ara
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2020, 03:08 PM »
Speaking of military surplus, would this be a good choice for your bandoleer?

Or this?

The first one is a Chinese WW2 era bandoleer for Mauser C96 ammo (fortunately, repros exist for a tolerable price), and the latter a repro of a British bandoleer for the Pattern 1903 rifle.

jethroskull

• Haat Gai
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2020, 04:02 PM »
Those should be fine, very Tuskan. I like the 1903 with the shaped tabs and the brass studs.

A'den Syngh
Gedin’la - Jaro
Ruug'la bal o'r te ara

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!