Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Basic Plans and some questions

• 8 Replies
Basic Plans and some questions
« on: Dec 21, 2020, 02:37 PM »
So, this is the basic idea for my first armor build.

It isn't exactly what I want, but I am not an artist at all so it will have to do for now.
I was thinking add a kama and potentially a half cape of some sort? and adding some accents and emblems in white.  :maul:

« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2020, 02:49 PM by Glacier723 » Logged

jethroskull

• Haat Gai
Re: Basic Plans and some questions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2020, 02:39 PM »
Looks like a good start... you said you had questions?

Art by Jennari Nadorr
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2020, 02:48 PM »
Yes! I absolutely do.
The main one right now is about the helmet. It is the only part I have so far and I was wondering about attaching the rangefinder. It comes as a separate piece (obviously) and an earcap that goes on after. I am wondering if anyone has a good idea of how to attach it? I figure I will get everything painted first (if the weather cooperates) and then start fiddling with that, but I have been thinking about it recently.

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2020, 02:56 PM »
What type of helmet do you have? Most of the commercial ones have a mounting system for the earcaps; once we know who made it, we can better help you with attachment.

« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2020, 10:50 PM »
I got it from Etsy. A shop called Iron Forge.
This is the helmet I ordered

And these are the rangefinder bits.

Ruug'la Carud

• Haat, Ijaa, Haa'it
  • Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2020, 02:21 AM »
If you want to keep the rangefinder removable for transport, some people use strong rare earth magnets for the cover. You could set a threaded insert into the earcap and a screw from inside the helmet. That how my helmets set up. If youre careful you could glue it. It looks like theres a center divet guide for a screw hole. Is there anything on the inside of the ear cap?

« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2020, 11:16 AM »
nope. just flat plastic.
I might try the magnets. I was thinking of using some for armor so I should have some to play with. Thanks!

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2020, 11:24 AM »
Find a drill bit of the exact same diameter as the inside hole in your rangefinder ear stalk. Place the rangefinder in the ear cap normally. Slide the drill bit in the hole and press it against the earcap and twist it slightly with your hand.

Tada! Now there’s a divot exactly where you need to drill your hole.

« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2020, 11:43 AM »
Find a drill bit of the exact same diameter as the inside hole in your rangefinder ear stalk. Place the rangefinder in the ear cap normally. Slide the drill bit in the hole and press it against the earcap and twist it slightly with your hand.

Tada! Now there’s a divot exactly where you need to drill your hole.
Magic!  :like:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!