Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

The lightsaber loophole

• 19 Replies
Re: The lightsaber loophole
« Reply #15 on: Apr 09, 2021, 08:23 PM »
To further elaborate on what Straka said. When a force-user bonds with a kyber crystal their presence in the force is transferred in a way to the crystal, essentially becoming an extension of themselves. So it would make sense that damaging a kyber crystal would at least stun or incapacitate them for some time, probably even knock them out for a few hours or days.

The strongest stars have hearts of kyber, but the strongest warriors have hearts of beskar.
« Reply #16 on: Apr 10, 2021, 01:47 AM »
To further elaborate on what Straka said. When a force-user bonds with a kyber crystal their presence in the force is transferred in a way to the crystal, essentially becoming an extension of themselves. So it would make sense that damaging a kyber crystal would at least stun or incapacitate them for some time, probably even knock them out for a few hours or days.

I want to make it abundantly clear that I am not disputing that fact. And maybe it is my tactical experience overthinking it. It just seems, to me, that with the hilt being covered by the hand/hands that when overpowering a force user, the hilt would take the least damage. The hilt is a very small, and moving, target. It would be easier to hit a force user in literally any other part of the body first. While I won't deny that doing damage to the crystal will harm a force user, I think the damage done to the hands, fingers, or wrist to get to the crystal would have a great impact on their fighting ability.

This has gone more into the weeds than I intended. I just thought it was a cool concept. If, and that is a HUGE if, I choose to do that with my own gear, I will make a generic hilt to make a vibroblade out of.

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #17 on: Apr 10, 2021, 11:40 AM »
I want to make it abundantly clear that I am not disputing that fact. And maybe it is my tactical experience overthinking it. It just seems, to me, that with the hilt being covered by the hand/hands that when overpowering a force user, the hilt would take the least damage. The hilt is a very small, and moving, target. It would be easier to hit a force user in literally any other part of the body first. While I won't deny that doing damage to the crystal will harm a force user, I think the damage done to the hands, fingers, or wrist to get to the crystal would have a great impact on their fighting ability.

Speaking as a trained stage swordsman, the idea in the fight wouldn't be to specifically damage the crystal to cause distress to the Jedi.  The idea in the fight would be to disable the weapon by any means available.  Chances are this will also damage the wielder's hands significantly... and if the dissonance with a broken crystal causes emotional distress in addition to the physical distress of mangled hands, well, that just makes winning even easier.

But to take it out of the weeds, I'll go into the reason for the rule:  Teenagers.  Excitable teenagers who're all like "I wanna be a jedi mandalorian!"  Instead of having to deal with a slow and lengthy process of explaining why not, it's far easier to just say that lightsabers on any mando kit have to be trophies that look too damaged to continue to function, even if from a mature and well-reasoned perspective it's far more likely that a warrior who can kill a Jedi would likely be able to take their saber undamaged.

« Reply #18 on: Apr 10, 2021, 12:24 PM »
But to take it out of the weeds, I'll go into the reason for the rule:  Teenagers.  Excitable teenagers who're all like "I wanna be a jedi mandalorian!"  Instead of having to deal with a slow and lengthy process of explaining why not, it's far easier to just say that lightsabers on any mando kit have to be trophies that look too damaged to continue to function, even if from a mature and well-reasoned perspective it's far more likely that a warrior who can kill a Jedi would likely be able to take their saber undamaged.

lol, excitable teenagers are why we can't have nice things. I guess, when you think about it, even if you got a hilt undamaged, the life of a Mandalorian is pretty rough. Any pristine trophies on the belt would be pretty banged up after a few missions. From a practical/tactical perspective, I personally wouldn't want a anything on my gear that didn't serve a purpose. Which is why I liked the idea of turning a lightsaber trophy into a usable weapon.

Thanks for the interesting exchange. Hope you have a good weekend.

jethroskull

• Haat Gai
« Reply #19 on: Apr 10, 2021, 11:06 PM »
“Kyber Reclamation Society; you can give or we can take.”

Any advice I give is strictly personal opinion and may not accurately reflect the CRLs.
I’m just an Unofficial Member making their way across the galaxy.

A'den Syngh
Gedin’la - Jaro

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!