Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

The Armory

• 74 Replies

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
Re: The Armory
« Reply #50 on: Jun 08, 2021, 08:01 PM »
Throwing Knives: I added a second layer of silver several days ago but the humidity changed causing the 'orange peel'.  I had to sand them all down and start over with the silver base coat.  I decided to try and give them the Beskar steel look that you see on the bars of beskar that are given to the Mandalorian in the show.  Here's the first attempt at it.  It still needs a layer of clear gloss and then another coat of graphite powder.  I also plan to paint the skull gold to match the rest of my kit. 

I taped and painted the first one:

One layer of graphite:

Taped up a second one:

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons [url=https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=
« Reply #51 on: Jun 08, 2021, 08:40 PM »
Okay, that is freaking cool.

Bade Duun

• Credits talk. I do not.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Force Hunter Brigade Member Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #52 on: Jun 09, 2021, 06:42 PM »
Very nice work, love the stabby paint jobs. :like:
It will be cool to see how you approach the smaller sheathes.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
« Reply #53 on: Jun 09, 2021, 09:14 PM »
Okay, that is freaking cool.

Thanks!  Not quite satisfied with the look though.

Very nice work, love the stabby paint jobs. :like:
It will be cool to see how you approach the smaller sheathes.

Thank you!  :)
Oh! Yeah I do need a way to carry them don't I.   :blank:  I guess I can't just stare at them the whole time.  Will have to think about this for a bit and figure out where I still have room for stuff...

And Update

Throwing Knives:

I added two more layers of graphite and clear to the black and silver blade for a total of three layers.

Layer 2

Layer 3

Doesn't look quite right to me...so I grabbed my dark grey glossy spray paint for the second one.

Haven't added any clear or graphite to this one but I think I like it better.  The color difference isn't quite as extreme and I got the wavy lines a bit more consistent then with the first one.  I used a different method to cut my painters tape and it worked much better.

I still plan to put gold in the skull for both blades.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #54 on: Jun 10, 2021, 09:10 PM »
Throwing Knives:  I hand painted another color onto the inside of the grey one to give it a bit more variance and hopefully depth of color.  I should probably watch some painting videos because at this point I am just making things up and looking a pictures.    I also painted both the skulls gold!

Then I put another layer of graphite on the black one, sprayed a layer of clear on the grey one then coated it with graphite as well.

Some glamor shots for the black.

And some comparison photos

A few close-ups of the grey

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #55 on: Jun 11, 2021, 06:49 PM »
I think I found the pattern that I want to go with.  I drew out the full pattern before adding it to the knife unlike how I had with the other two.  It is a bit time consuming but I think the result is worth it. 

Next was the grey and black spray paint.

Then I did a crazy and hand painted on the off gold and light silver highlights onto the grey blade.

I experiment with several different colors on the black and didn't like any of them.  After a bit I remembered that I have a silver gel pen that I use to highlight when I am doing the coloring sheets with the ankle biters.  I ran and grabbed the pen.  It worked nearly perfectly.  (rubs off if I am not careful)  I used that to add the second set of silver lines to the grey and all the extra silver lines to the black.  Took about a third of the time that hand painted had taken.

Sprayed both knives with a sealer (not the glossy clear) and added a coat of graphite.  I did this twice and here they are.  I think I will stick to the black version as I like that one better.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #56 on: Jun 15, 2021, 09:00 PM »
Grav Bombs: These had the same orange peel problem as my throwers, but with a bit of sanding (and a touch of filler) they have been repainted to the base silver color.  The red button will be next.

Shells:  I got these sanded down, a touch of filler and a few of the low spots I missed on the first pass and silver for them too!

Glow knife:  This is another amazing item I received from PSessum.  The blade itself illuminates red from a flashlight that fits into the handle.  I did some sanding to the blade but not too much because I didn't want to weaken it just knock down the highest points.  I don't want to use filler on the blade itself because I am pretty sure that will mess with the light diffusion through the blade.  So I coated it with resin to help fill in the print lines, add strength and hopefully not cause and problems with the light coming through.  I also sanded down the cross piece, handle and end cap.  All three had some filler added then sanded again.  I also sanded out some of the lines on the handle section to match the one bit that had separated when the print was made.  I coated all these pieces with resin as well.

Clan thrower:  So I glued the two halves of the blade together the other day and did a basic sanding.  I also touched up the sigil just a bit to ensure that I wouldn't loose any of the lines when I added the resin for strength. 

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #57 on: Jun 18, 2021, 09:32 PM »
Grav Charges/Bombs:  For the finish on these I added a coat of sealer, then graphite and repeated that process a second time to get the right shade of silver that I was going for.  After which they were taped and the button spray painted red.  I have a tiny bit of clean up where the tape wasn't 100% but they came out pretty good.  I still need to add the magnets to the back but that it just a few minutes work.

Clan Thrower:  I did a second layer of resin for this blade.  Then I painted it with two layers of sandable primer, after which I did the silver base coat.  It is ready for the beskar pattern. 

You can see a few spots where I didn't get quite enough precision with the clean up on the sigil but I can fix that when I paint it gold later.

I also started the base/holder for the grav charges.  I decided to go with two charge holders since I really don't have a lot of waist space left to add things.  I may pass one pair on to my sister as we will be starting her kit in the near future.

Shells:  I got the lettering painted gold.  They just need the key chains added and they are ready to be handed out at the next con.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
« Reply #58 on: Jun 19, 2021, 12:34 AM »
That is all looking AMAZING!   :like:

I'm digging the cartridges as key rings. That would def make a cool thing to hand out during a troop.

The holes made me think of a thing from the military. I think this is a sniper thing (I'm not a sniper but I heard the lore.) Long story short, when a person graduates sniper school they are called PIGs for Professionally Instructed Gunmen. If a sniper kills another sniper, they are a HOG or Hunter of Gunmen. They retrieve the round that was in the chamber of the other sniper's rifle and wear it as necklace. This is called a HOG's tooth and signifies the "bullet with your name on it." The belief is that everyone has a round with their name on it and until it is fired, they can't be killed, if they carry that round (the HOG's tooth) they are invincible.

So, if you added a cord to the round, it would look like you took out an enemy, and took the cartridge from their blaster and wear it as a trophy. Sorry, random thought.

Your stuff looks great tho.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #59 on: Jun 21, 2021, 10:41 PM »
That is all looking AMAZING!   :like:

I'm digging the cartridges as key rings. That would def make a cool thing to hand out during a troop.

The holes made me think of a thing from the military. I think this is a sniper thing (I'm not a sniper but I heard the lore.) Long story short, when a person graduates sniper school they are called PIGs for Professionally Instructed Gunmen. If a sniper kills another sniper, they are a HOG or Hunter of Gunmen. They retrieve the round that was in the chamber of the other sniper's rifle and wear it as necklace. This is called a HOG's tooth and signifies the "bullet with your name on it." The belief is that everyone has a round with their name on it and until it is fired, they can't be killed, if they carry that round (the HOG's tooth) they are invincible.

So, if you added a cord to the round, it would look like you took out an enemy, and took the cartridge from their blaster and wear it as a trophy. Sorry, random thought.

Your stuff looks great tho.

Thank you!  That is interesting, and shells are cannon in the Star Wars Universe.  I was planning a sniper build (ended up giving the idea to my sister) but that is cool bit of real life lore we can totally pirate into a build and keep it warzy.  I might be tempted to put the shell on a cord with a bit of kyber and maybe a tooth of some sort.   Hmmm...something to consider for the future.

Update:

Clan Thrower:  I got the beskar pattern taped onto the blade and I went with the black for this one.

Shells:  Key chains came in the other day, finally got them assembled.  They are ready to be handed out at the next event!

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #60 on: Jun 24, 2021, 09:44 PM »
Got a little bit done today, just spent a few minutes working on my armory. 

Clan thrower:  This is pretty much done.  I painted the sigil gold, added the final layer of graphite and rubbed it shiny!  I do feel like the gold kind of gets lost in the blade design...maybe it would stand out better if I painted it red.  Hmmm, something to consider.

I also did a bit of work on the grav charge holders and the handle of the second glowing knife.  The silver I usually use for this stopped working and it was my last can of that color so I improvised with the higher res silver.  It works just as well (it ends up with a similar finish after the graphite) it just doesn't give the cool metal effect as well. 

My sister keeps stealing all the knives!  I'm building her a kit and she wants them on hers.  I think she could pull them off, might make her a knife holder to go over her leg wraps.

Link to her build:  Softs https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203568.msg2229810#msg2229810
Armor- https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203565.msg2229802#msg2229802

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #61 on: Jun 30, 2021, 09:25 PM »
So I haven't accomplished much in terms of my armory recently.  I got a coat of the sealant on the silver stuff and got some graphite on a couple of the pieces.

I also got another box of goodies from PSessum.  Now I have enough throwers and other knives for me and my vod'ika.

The new Westar will be the largest hand cannon in my collection. 

I can't wait to get started!

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #62 on: Jul 02, 2021, 07:04 PM »
So today I glued the two halves of the live action Westar-35 together. 

I also started cleaning up the print supports from my throwers and started sanded a bit more of an edge into the other blade.  (haven't named that one yet...) 

Still a bit more to go but I couldn't resist getting started.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #63 on: Jul 06, 2021, 08:31 PM »
Today was a weapons day.

I gave a bunch of my new 3-D prints a sanding with my rotary tool.  Then I hand sanded with 80 grit sand paper, covered all the pieces with filler.  After which I sanded again with 320 grit sand paper.  To finish the prep I drilled some holes in the top of the shells so that they may be key chains when I am done.  Then I mixed up some resin and gave them all a coat.

Grav Bombs  They are done.  Magnets have been mounted and mirrored onto the holder and all the painting and weathering is complete!

Glow/ Laser Blade #2

I finally got the finish right on the hilt.  So I partially assembled it (the blade is still removable if I need it to be).  Then I went to work on making is look like a laser blade.  I think it still needs something.  I have some gold vinal that I might use to add some more detail to the blade for when it is not on.  It looks great when it is on so I won't mess with those lines.  I'm also thinking about putting some red thread in the grooves on the hilt to add some color and interest.  It might need a tassel too.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
« Reply #64 on: Jul 07, 2021, 03:07 AM »
Oh that's super dope! I knew you would make the glow vibro look cool. I'm digging the bombs too. I love watching your process. You have inspired me to try something new.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #65 on: Jul 09, 2021, 07:38 AM »
Oh that's super dope! I knew you would make the glow vibro look cool. I'm digging the bombs too. I love watching your process. You have inspired me to try something new.

Thanks!  Glad to be an inspiration, it's going both ways  :like:

I did end up adding some gold vinyl and another bead (gear thing) to the blade.  I also added the red cotton string to the hilt.  I still feel like it needs something else on the hilt to balance the overall look but the gold really helps for the power off mode.

I made the tassel out of the ends from the red when I wrapped the hilt.  It just didn't seem to fit with the aesthetic of the blade so it's going into the 'to be used later' drawer.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #66 on: Aug 01, 2021, 07:30 PM »
I have been neglecting my posting.  I was also waiting on more filler primer to arrive as my local source was all sold out! 

It arrived today and I went to work.  I had already sanded up most of the knives and the larger grav charges/bombs.  (Which is good because right now I don't have the fine motor control I need to get into all the small corners until my hand heals up)

I am also starting to mess with the two blocks of beskar.  Not quite sure how I am going to clear the print lines without losing the texture but I have and idea.  I'll share once I know it works otherwise it goes down as another not so great plan.   :P

I also did a bit of sanding on the animated Westars for my Ursa Wren kit.  But again couldn't really get into the corners so they'll have to wait a bit longer before I can get them ready for a resin coat.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
« Reply #67 on: Aug 01, 2021, 08:15 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing how the Bad Batch vibroknives turn out.

Hope your hand heals fast.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #68 on: Aug 19, 2021, 07:20 AM »
Alrighty, hand is doing so much better.  I still cant actually pick up anything with any weight to it but most of my mobility is back!  Thankfully sand paper is light and so are 3-D prints. 

Hunter Glow Knife

This one is going on Vod'ika's kit.  We put a rush on it to get it at least able to be worn for MegaCon this past weekend.  Since her coming was decided three days before the event I definitaly cut some corners and didn't finish it to my usual standard.

The print lines are still clearly visible but it was enough to keep it from being obviously undone.  I stuck it in the sheath on her shin and told her not to pull it out. (I temporarily glued the blade to the hilt for the event.)  I have since pulled them back apart and pulled the aluminum tape.  The blade has undergone some more sanding and I will re-tape it soon-ish.

Knives:  These still have a ways to go but the first one is almost done.  Again another rush job to get this blade finished in time to at least fill the sheath for the convention.  I still want to add another layer of clear and then some graphite powder to even out the finish a bit more.  The other two have been resined and sanded.  They are now ready for some filler primer when the weather cooperates.

Westar-35 animated version:  These have been coming along nicely.  I gave them a rough sand, coated them with a thin layer or resin, sanded them again followed by another thin coat of resin.  They still need to be sanded one more time before I can use my filler primer but most of the big bumps have been smoothed out nicely and print lines are pretty much all gone!

Edit: they have been sanded!

Beskar Thrower:  This one is posing a bit of a challenge, here is where it's at.

Beskar blocks:  They still need some work but again here is where they are at.

« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2021, 07:45 AM by Vercopaanir » Logged

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #69 on: Aug 20, 2021, 01:07 PM »
Grav Charges:  (Printed by PSessum)  I didn't like my finish on these from earlier so I sanded them down, rubbed a bit of filler in a few spots and then primed them again.  I was much happier with the result.  So I painted them silver again and grabbed my graphite powder.  For those you might be curious how I do this is pretty simple.  The shiny shiny metallic look comes from adding this over a high gloss.  I personally like the more worn look I get putting it over a more satin finish.  Not quite as shiny but it looks a bit like worn metal and less like a polished trophy.

So primer is obviously the base layer followed by a metallic silver coat

Then I take the silver and put the first layer of graphite powder on it

Then I use a clear sealer.  This is a very light misting, not a true gloss or satin just enough to give me something to add more graphite powder to without changing the silver base.  After adding the sealer I add another layer of graphite powder.   In this line up we have the two coats of graphite (far left) one coat (middle) and no graphite power (Right)

In this one the far right has three layer while the other two have only two layers

And a few glamour shots

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
« Reply #70 on: Aug 20, 2021, 01:23 PM »
Those are awesome! I think I'm going to start selling them. People way overcharge so I'm thinking of selling for $2-3 a piece.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #71 on: Aug 20, 2021, 08:54 PM »
Those are awesome! I think I'm going to start selling them. People way overcharge so I'm thinking of selling for $2-3 a piece.

Go for it!  I love all the stuff I've gotten from you so I'm pretty sure others will to.  Get yourself  thread over in the vendors section and I'll post some pictures of the stuff I've done from your prints.

A little more work done today.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #72 on: Sep 03, 2021, 06:23 PM »
Little things getting done.

Original knife 3-D printed by PSessum:  This  blade is going on my Vod'ika's Kit

Small Hunter's style knife:  This still needs the reflective yellow added into the lines on the blade but otherwise I am pretty happy with it.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #73 on: Nov 14, 2021, 08:34 PM »
I've finally found a bit of time to work on some weapons related stuff.

I got the yellow paint on the blade and decided to paint the inside of the ring red to try and tie the button in a bit more.  Not sure if I love it but its okay for now.

I've also got some more sanding done on my Live Action Westar.  It's a bit of a hand cannon for me but it's growing on me.  I might use it for my next custom kit as I'm considering doing a post-imp build after I finish my Ursa.

I also got a few more small charges from PSessum.  (My vod'ika lost one at MegaCon so we need a replacement)  I am loving the resin!  So much less prep work needed to get to the same finish.  I still need to add the magnets and paint the buttons red but the base work is done.

And I made a some crisscross knife sheaths for my Vod'ika. 

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
« Reply #74 on: Nov 17, 2021, 07:44 PM »
Gear is looking good. I really like the vibroblade. I have my prototypes, but I need to finish one off right.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!