Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

3D Printer Recommendations?

• 4 Replies
3D Printer Recommendations?
« on: Dec 22, 2020, 09:13 AM »
I am looking at making the jump into getting a 3D printer.  I do a lot of metal fabrication, woodworking, and consider myself just a maker in general.  I was looking into getting into 3D printing and thought it would compliment those deals along with allowing me to print stuff for my cosplay.  I am wondering if anyone has recommendations on printers?  I have watched a ton of videos and the Ender 3 pro seems to be a decent entry budget machine.  Just not sure what size I need to be able to print for cosplay parts.  I just figured I could always make it so my pieces are multiple pieces if too large and just make a joint to glue them together.  Anyone have some tips or good videos to check out?  Thanks

Re: 3D Printer Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2020, 11:30 AM »
Hi, I have two printers. A flashforge Guider IIS (for larger and finer parts) and the Ender 3 pro. After a lot of research the Ender printer came out on top for the best entree lv printer and quality for my needings. After using it for a while I must say I am very pleased with it. It all depends on what you want to do with it. You can compair printing speeds and layer hight with a few printers this will effect the printing quality. I use mostly PLE because it is very strong and doens't really have a smell to it. Printing with abs requires a more closed printercasing for the smell and to evenly keep the heat in.

I have printed blasters, shoulder bells and a lot of other parts fine. A whole helmet does not fit on the printer bed. You can indeed print it in multiple pieces but if you plan on making a lot of larger prints I recommend chosing a printer with a bigger volume. Glueing and removing the seems can be very time consuming and sometimes make the print weaker. The downside in my opinion to and Ender 3 Pro is the noise it makes while printing. I don't really mind but it's not very silent. Making a soundproof casing, and replacing some parts could solve that problem.  If you do decide to get an ender 3 pro try printing out an extension arm for the filament so it goes in smoothly. Also the best tip I can think of is using painterstape on the printing bed to improve the adhesion of your prints if this is a problem.

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2020, 01:08 PM »
Have you heard much about the ender 5 Plus? It has an absolutely massive print volume for the price and the few reviews I’ve found are overall positive, although the price puts it out of the “entry level” range that the Ender 3 and Prusa Mk 3 occupy.

« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2020, 12:19 PM »
Hi,
I have had at least one of each of the following: Flashforge Guider IIS, Wanhao i3, Ender 3, Anet ET4, Anet A8, Wanhao D6, CR10, CR10s, CR10s PRO
Most of the printers i have passed on to others, but the CR10 printers of all version are the ones i have kept till they are done for.

The are not problem free, no printers are. But for the price they are great. Decent quality and build volume. Easy to upgrade and maintain (maybe not the PRO model, but that is also fine).

I can do some helmets in one piece, but not all, so i am looking at a bigger printer in the future.

Got a CR10 v2 on the way at the moment, they are on sale from some retailers right now...

« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2020, 06:24 PM »
I have a Cr10V2 Pro I highly recommend it and have a fairly decent bed size. I also recommend using PLA plus as a printing filament for anything detail oriented.  Also defiantly get yourself a class bed. here are some prints I made with my printer using PLA plus.
https://imgur.com/a/CIXhSTA

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!