Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Kit WIP

• 19 Replies

s.hsl3679

• Ri'vik Tal'sing
Re: First Kit WIP
« Reply #15 on: Apr 08, 2022, 12:49 PM »
Thank you both so much! I'll definitely run it by the app team! Vercopaanir youre totally right, I forgot about having to bend over lol. I'm gonna take another look at the design! I've finished sewing my flak vest and neck seal, I keep forgetting to upload them to my soft parts wip. I used a pattern thats OM approved from a vendor in the marketplace, so I was able to decently put together a good vest! I'm definitely going to look at it for future kits tho!

s.hsl3679

• Ri'vik Tal'sing
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2022, 02:38 PM »
Long time, no post but I DID manage to finish my armor in time for my finals! Its a miracle really.

The whole kit is DEFINITELY not ready to go through the app team yet. My helmet was the perfect size except for the fact that I am unfortunately small in stature so it looked very disproportionate on me. These pics are also incredibly unflattering lol.

I also need to make my waist items, sew my cummerbund, and weather my soft parts, as well as redo my helmet. I also want to redo the strapping because I was rushing to finish up the night before and I know I can do better. Also the boots I was wearing are not my actual kit boots. So really its "done" for my class but its so very far from done in order to go through the app process. But for a first incredibly rushed first attempt, I say not bad. Ill post close-up shots of my helmet in my other thread.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2022, 02:49 PM »
For a rushed job, you did very well. I love the helmet. Looking at the pics, most of what I see wrong is just a matter of items not being positioned properly, or donned too quickly. As such, they just need some straightening out. The biggest offender is the back plate being shifted off to the left.  Overall though, not bad.

As for your helmet looking "disproportionate", even though it fits you fine, don't change the helmet. The trick for someone with a smaller stature, and/or more slender shoulders, it to make your shoulders appear broader than they are. You can do this by redesigning your shoulder armor. Go with larger pauldrons instead of the smaller spaders you have now. Here's another good example of a girl with similar "issues" of stature, and how she and her sister (the one making the kit for her), solved them: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203565.0

This girl is very slight of build, and definitely petite. However, you can see that simply making her shoulders appear broader by how they padded her spaulders, and added the fur cape, dealt with that issue. So, if your helmet fits you fine as is, don't make a smaller one, it won't fit, and will be super uncomfortable. Instead, modify your shoulder armor to make your shoulders broader.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 08:05 PM by Tramp Graphics » Logged

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ invasions Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2022, 10:01 AM »
Bobble headed mandos unite! 

Also well done for a first time rush job.

You're not to far off.  As Tramp said, if the bucket fits you then you don't really want to try and go smaller.  One of my buckets is a bit smaller and its really not comfortable to wear all day.

Adding your waist items will also help with the overall silhouette.  To help balance my vod'ika we did the bulky pouches (they are twice the size of my own personal pouches) to both draw the eye and balance the overall silhouette.  We picked a long kama, again to add some bulk.   So there are options! 

Keep up the good work!

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons Post Imperial Build

s.hsl3679

• Ri'vik Tal'sing
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2022, 06:47 PM »
Thank you both for the advice! I'm definitely gonna add at least a cape to bulk out my shoulders a bit and maybe print out some bulkier shoulder armor when I have the ability to do so. As for the waist items, thats also a great idea! I was debating on adding a kama, but I think that will help bulk me out more, so its a go! Thanks again!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!