Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

question about durability/longevity of 3d printed armor and alternatives.

• 3 Replies
so im finally in a financial position to purchase my first set of armor (i already have my black series prototype bucket ) ive found a nice set of 3d printed armor on etsy, my only concern is that ive read 3d printed items start to degrade in as little as 6 months. does anyone have any experience with this? i dont want to purchase and paint a set only to have it naturally degrade in a few years. also what (and where) are my alternatives that can be purchased? looking for classic style armor. thanks in advance!

Odran Krayt

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din (Family is more than blood)
As far as I know, If it is well made, 3d printed items can las years. The main thing to worry about is wall thickness and the heat of your storage location, if it's pla. Many people will print stuff cheaper with less walls, and it will fall apart easily. But if you get a good solid print, it can be really strong.

But if you are doing modern era, the best material is actually gonna be sintra. The plates are simple enough that printing them is usually the least accurate way to get them shaped right, unless you build off a 3d scan, so unless this Etsy seller does that, the armor wouldn't fit quite as well, and having tried to heat shape 3d prints, they tend to delaminate when heated and bent.

I'd recommend asking around your clan to see if someone has spare sintra or if they have a stockpile for recruits, in which case you can usually get it for cheap or free.

B.O.M.B.  #85|L.O.B. #41|M.A. #180|MAJIC #184|B.o.B.B #028
New Death Watch Order #44|O.O.P.S! #44
ALUMINATI #053 | V.B.V #7
Odran Krayt WIP
Nexan Armories (Sales thread)
I've been doin' this since I was 10!

Dala Aran

• OM #1641 "Slow is smooth & smooth is fast"
  • Awards Celebration Chicago 40% increase or more Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
I'm currently debating this also.  3D prints are still a fairly new technology and seem to have many variables affecting the final product. And as mentioned above will probably still need custom shaping to the person's body (unless 3d scanned). I would only get 3D printed gauntlets and MAYBE a 3D printed helmet. Don't forget there are no print lines to worry about on sintra. 3D prints need a lot of after-work to get rid of print lines, Bondo filler and lots of sanding. As Anakin would say "I hate sand" (or sanding)   ;D

thanks for your replies. i decided to order the 3d printed set from etsy for $215 (upper body kit) it wont be here for at least a month so ill update when they arrive.

heres a link to what i ordered, has good reviews and is said to be durable (5mm thick)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/741010122/mandalorian-torso-armor-kit-and-optional

« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2021, 03:27 PM by TheBrokenMando » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!