Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bandage wrap gaiters ?

• 6 Replies
Bandage wrap gaiters ?
« on: Jan 08, 2021, 03:27 PM »
My premise for a build is desert world (you know because all SW planets only have one terrain type ;D) and I really would like to make some rough looking putees [wraped gaiters worn in WWI)]

I am thinking heavy duty bandage wraped over the leg and soaked in mybe PVA glue and paint ?   I envisage adding padding to the leg before wraping so I achive an overlap so they can be cut and a velcroed on  the inside leg (or possibly shin armour) and fixing the shin piece to them and some dyed elastic added to the finish so that the whole thing doesnt ride up when walking.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

jethroskull

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
Re: Bandage wrap gaiters ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2021, 04:15 PM »
I'm sewing strips of canvas a la 501st Tuskan CRL. I will then sew gaiters using that constructed material. I already did my sleeves that way...

:cookie:

« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2021, 04:31 PM »
I just read a Puttees Tying Guide, and it's very informative.
Jethroskulls wraps look really good, and in my opinion, I would go with canvas strips, that was my go to thought.
I honestly don't know how you would use the bandages. If you glued and painted them, that would make a short of hard shell, that you'd have to cut from top down, and figure out how to make it look all 1 piece, and if you used bandages, in my experience as a boy scout, they would be hard to weather properly, and they might be too thick to give the proper effect. If you use regular canvas, or some other more durable fabric, it would be easier to use and weather.

« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2021, 07:30 PM »
Thank you both, I have read several guides on how putees are wrapped and another with such great pictures was most helpful.

I agree, canvas would be more suitable material and I’ll look into iron-on seam strips so I can construct a shape that covers more of the Chelsea boot like gaiters and sew the calf section. ( I really don’t want the elastic of the boot to show)

Anyway flight suit arrived today so plenty to keep me busy there, especially without a sewing machine!   :laugh:

jethroskull

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2021, 07:44 PM »
If I get more sewing done this weekend I will add a pic here for inspiration!

« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2021, 03:28 PM »
this thread inspired me so i threw these together for my kit! just 2 4inch by a yard strips sewn together with a 30inch tie sewn on at the end

lunchsack86

• Rang Ori'dush Oyayc
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2021, 11:44 AM »
I use kickboxing wrist wraps on my legs and boot.
Seems to work out pretty good

Rang Ori'dush Oyayc
# 2406
Hail to the King baby

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!