Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

3D printed helmet help

• 4 Replies
3D printed helmet help
« on: Jan 15, 2021, 10:41 PM »
I have my heart set on this really nice 3D file for a helmet, with only one dilemma; I have no experience with 3D printing at all :/

My lack of a 3D printer itself isn’t really a problem, I’ve found tons of services that would provide a quote and print in approvable materials, but I couldn’t just order the helmet in the same scale as the file originally comes in, I’m 5’2 and would have to scale it down considerably.

So I guess my questions are, if I bought the file, could I download a program on my computer that would allow me to modify the model without having a printer myself

Or

If I use an online 3D printing service, could I alter the file I upload from the service?
Help is greatly appreciated, I’ve researched a lot and kinda hit a roadblock with this, and I don’t want to give up on the prospect of a 3D printed helmet.

« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2021, 11:03 PM by Bellonauniz » Logged
Re: 3D printed helmet help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2021, 10:52 PM »
I have a 3d printer that I'm still learning to use. If you don't mind working with a novice, I can help you out. As for programs, you can find lots of files on thingverse, and modify them. The program that I use is called "tinkercad". I haven't been using it long, but I've already made a modified design that I'm happy with.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2021, 11:26 PM »
I have a 3d printer that I'm still learning to use. If you don't mind working with a novice, I can help you out. As for programs, you can find lots of files on thingverse, and modify them. The program that I use is called "tinkercad". I haven't been using it long, but I've already made a modified design that I'm happy with.
Yeah that sounds great! Send me a dm and we can discuss :)

« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2021, 10:27 AM »
Have you reached out to your local clan to see if anyone has a 3d printer? They might be willing to help you for less than a service.

I am not sure what helmet you are looking at, but Thingiverse.com has a lot of free ones. Just put "Mandalorian" in the search bar and you will have a lot of results to choose from.

For sizing, you can pay $30 for Armorsmith, a program that lets you create an avatar to your measurements and size pieces accordingly. If you have Windows 10, the free option is to right click on the file, go to "open with" and click 3d builder in the drop down. It is very simple compared to other 3d software, but you can split and size a file easily.

You have some other things to consider when having an object printed. I hear a lot of people charge by the hour, and with a low resolution, it will print quicker, but it will greatly increase your post production time in terms of sanding and priming to remove the print lines. I know some people buy their buckets on etsy. For reference, a 1kg roll of filament is about $20 and a helmet will use less than that.

I hope some of this was helpful. Good luck in your search.

« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2021, 11:05 PM »
Yeah that sounds great! Send me a dm and we can discuss :)

I'm actually finding out that quite a few local libraries have 3d printers that can be used, sometimes for free. I don't know what size of a stage they have, but it's definitely worth looking in to.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!