Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Are these boots acceptable?

• 16 Replies

Arrias Karynthar

• The "Medic"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Are these boots acceptable?
« on: Dec 07, 2009, 11:45 PM »
I have these old boots with these straps that I think looks cool with them over the shin armor. I was wondering if they'd be acceptable.

Now these arent complete they are just sitting on there and im going to add some dirt and such to the boots if they are OK.I can always lower/raise the shins as well to fit the right height, but the boots are 11 in. tall w/o the shins and 14 in. tall with the shins.

* they look crooked because its being held upright with newspaper on the inside  :-\, but i assure they are straight when i wear them.

« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2009, 11:47 PM by Arrias Karynthar » Logged

"Don't worry!!! I've got Clone Wars Band-Aids!"

Zevlar Rayco

• MMCC197 M.A.J.I.C 59
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Are these boots acceptable?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2009, 11:50 PM »
If you're not using them for anything but the costume, I'd suggest riveting the plates to the outside of the straps. they'll have more of that Jango look to them then

"Let your woes become your deadliest weapons."

Arrias Karynthar

• The "Medic"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2009, 11:58 PM »
I was leaning more towards some snaps but i decided to try out using the boots'  built in straps. i kind of like it. Im looking for something unique though.

« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2009, 12:25 AM by Arrias Karynthar » Logged

Ca Loar

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 50 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2009, 06:58 AM »
I think they look killer as is. You maybe need something to help hold them in place under the straps so that when your trooping they don't work their way up ad out. But awesome set up me likey.

[img]https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/11245490_677274702400729_7769850639631025562_n.jpg?oh=d6e4bfb8c89920e3690b9ac545515935&oe=5613E63B[img]

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2009, 10:53 AM »
They look great!

Arrias Karynthar

• The "Medic"
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2009, 04:10 PM »
well im thinking about adding some snaps, but im doing a field  test today. Im going to the mall to do some shopping and im going to wear the shin armor under my pantsI .m using just the built in boot straps to hold them on.. Ill let you know how it goes!

Cyrus Rang

• Go ahead and run...Chasing you is fun!
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2009, 04:30 PM »
I think they look good the way you have them.  Where did you get the boots?

Arrias Karynthar

• The "Medic"
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2009, 04:39 PM »
I got them about 4 years ago from a local shoe store here. Unfortunatly the store closed down...

surprisingly they still fit great!

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2009, 07:07 PM »
I like the straps on the outside.  It gives it a more... haphazard look, like you didn't have an ideal invisible mounting.  But then, my armor has lots of visible straps.  I guess I'm biased in that direction.

Arrias Karynthar

• The "Medic"
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2009, 08:08 PM »
yeah im going with the straps on the  outside, right now im rusting the buckles and im going to use some spray adhesive and sprinkle some tan and brown craft sand on it to dirty it up.

RoboEmma

• aka Roboemma
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2009, 08:23 PM »
They look sweet like that!

~

Jare Hasan

• Clan Murraan PR Officer
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2009, 11:53 PM »
Those look really great...amazingly so.  i want to steal them.

There's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

Ca-Senaar

« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2009, 12:40 AM »
Those are beautiful. X3

What are you using to keep the foot plates in place?

Arrias Karynthar

• The "Medic"
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2009, 11:50 AM »
Oh the foot pieces aren't attached yet, they are just sitting there. I wanted to get the boots approved and get some input and things I could do to change before I attach them, but it looks like I can do that sooner than expect. Im thinking about attaching them with a snap in the middle and maybe  elastic around the back for extra support.

Geber Teg

• My other car is a Firespray-class
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2009, 12:41 PM »
I love the look of the straps over the plates! You could also use industrial adhesive Velcro to hold the plates in place.

As for the spray adhesive for dirtying/weathering, be careful what kind you use. There are types that leave something like a masking tape sticky, and then there are ones that stick to EVERYTHING with the strength of a thousand boogers! You might try something simple like hair spray. If you don't like the way it turns out, a little rubbing alcohol will take it right off.

Arrias Karynthar

• The "Medic"
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2009, 03:40 AM »
Already have a good can of it. It's not actually adhesive, but spray mount. I tested it on some old trashcan pieces I had laying around.

CraxyD

« Reply #16 on: Apr 04, 2010, 10:56 AM »
I think they look good the way you have them.  Where did you get the boots?

Those are tanker boots.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanker_boot

Here's a reliable source for them
http://uscav.com/search.aspx?Search=tanker+boots&TabID=548&os=1&CatID=5230

Tsikala bal Verburyc

Ke'nari ori ra ke'slana yaim

helmet 65-70%
armor 75%
soft parts 15%
weapons 50 %
boots 0%

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!