Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Stormtrooperguy: Paz Vizsla

• 29 Replies

stormtrooperguy

• Awards TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Boba and Jango
Stormtrooperguy: Paz Vizsla
« on: Jan 22, 2021, 01:10 PM »
Hello! I've been away from here for a long, long time now... but I'm back on a new Mandalorian project: Paz Vizsla!

My old Mercs costume years ago was Pre Vizsla, so it's nice to be "rejoining the family".

So far I have my helmet done:

I've printed the chest, gauntlets/vambraces, and one shoulder. I also have my sketchers boots and gloves.

Not very far along, but it's a start!

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
Re: Stormtrooperguy: Paz Vizsla
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2021, 03:19 PM »
Glad to see you back here.

I was fortunate enough to chat with you back at Boston Fan Expo in 2019 and see your 3D printer setup in person.

We are reworking the CRLs for Paz a little bit so give us a second there, but your helmet turned out really well!

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

stormtrooperguy

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2021, 07:49 PM »
We are reworking the CRLs for Paz a little bit so give us a second there, but your helmet turned out really well!

thanks! i've pretty much just been printing parts, so chances are good the CRL will progress a lot faster than me :)

stormtrooperguy

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2021, 10:57 AM »

I'm happy to offer up assistance on CRL work for this if needed.

I have been away from the Mercs for a while, but I have experience with the process of documenting costumes. I have served 5 terms as 501st Legion Membership Officer between 2012 and 2020, and worked on a TON of different CRLs there.

Basically I don't want to be the guy tapping his foot waiting for action without offering to contribute!!

Meanwhile I have been printing and sanding and painting... (not shown -- I also have the thigh and boot armor printed)

My soft goods came in and fit!

And I've been working on the base colors for the torso armor.

Rayne

• Dralshy’a Tome (Stronger Together)
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Brigades Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2021, 09:22 AM »
Your 3d printed pieces are looking good! A little sanding on the print lines and you’ll be set in no time.

The soft parts fit you pretty well. I don’t see anything that looks overly baggy and the top stitching and details look pretty accurate to references.

Your base paint color looks good. I see a few print lines on the strap armor over your shoulder and the lower chest piece that goes above the ab plate. Otherwise, it’s looking great!

Tra'cor Clan // MMCC#1968
Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

stormtrooperguy

« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2021, 01:05 PM »
Your base paint color looks good. I see a few print lines on the strap armor over your shoulder and the lower chest piece that goes above the ab plate. Otherwise, it’s looking great!

Yeah... I caught the big horizontal line on the lower chest and got that cleaned up. That was a join line between 2 parts. Same with the shoulder pieces... those have already been re-sanded and repainted. Definitely good catches!!

After that I did a black acrylic wash...

Now the color is getting more where I wanted it.

« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2021, 01:18 PM by stormtrooperguy » Logged

Rayne

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Brigades Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2021, 01:48 PM »
The chest looks much better! Nice job!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

stormtrooperguy

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2021, 10:53 AM »
The chest looks much better! Nice job!

Thanks! I haven't gotten much more done yet. I ended up going back and repainting the one yellow piece I had done, as I didn't like the color. I reprinted the thighs for a better fit. I also got a bunch of paints in the mail for weathering the flight suit. I plan to airbrush some grey and brown onto the suit to age it. Is there any idea right now where the CRL will land on that?

Rayne

« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2021, 11:09 AM »
Sounds like your making great progress!

The CRL is live, the updates to it and the BRL will hopefully be live soon. Here is a link to the current CRL http://mandalorianmercs.org/paz-vizla-crl/

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

stormtrooperguy

« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2021, 11:25 AM »
Sounds like your making great progress!

The CRL is live, the updates to it and the BRL will hopefully be live soon. Here is a link to the current CRL http://mandalorianmercs.org/paz-vizla-crl/

It's really the updates I'm thinking about... Since I'm early on, I don't want to do something only to have it changed in the new revision :)

stormtrooperguy

« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2021, 11:29 AM »
One specific CRL question:

Back plate: "Must feature a raised middle bar in the centre to which the jetpack attaches."

Since we see him in the Covert without the pack/blaster, then later with all the gear... are both permutations acceptable?  I definitely plan to make the blaster and backpack but can see there being situations where I'd want to take those off. Right now I have 2 backplates -- one with the raised bar for the pack, and one flat one for wearing without the pack.

I haven't been able to find a clear shot from the Covert that shows the back plate without the pack, and the plate without the raised bar would look a lot more "real" in person.

I'm curious where that all ends up going...

Rayne

« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2021, 08:00 AM »
I understand where your coming from, since it’s specifically described in the CRL, the bar will be required for approval.

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

stormtrooperguy

« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 2021, 12:39 PM »
I understand where your coming from, since it’s specifically described in the CRL, the bar will be required for approval.

Got it! So no changes expected there.

The CRL specifies the pack and gun too... does that mean that it's not acceptable to wear the costume without the backpack and weapon then? At that point the bar seems sort of academic anyway since it wouldn't be seen.

Rayne

« Reply #13 on: Apr 02, 2021, 03:46 PM »
If it’s listed in the CRL as required, it needs to be worn as part of your kit. The only exception would be if it is listed as optional. Those items aren’t required by the CRLs.

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

stormtrooperguy

« Reply #14 on: Apr 14, 2021, 10:09 PM »
If it’s listed in the CRL as required, it needs to be worn as part of your kit. The only exception would be if it is listed as optional. Those items aren’t required by the CRLs.

So... more questions then :)

• Most of his non-CGI on screen time is without the pack or gun. Is there any plan for a variation / update to make those parts optional?
  • If not -- why is the raised bar on the backplate in the CRL? It would never be seen if the pack is on.
[li]Events frequently have a "no weapons" policy, so in those cases would it be more appropriate to detach the blaster from the jetpack, or take both off?
[/li][/list]

Mi'ix

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #15 on: Apr 14, 2021, 11:14 PM »
Din has different versions, which we allow so it would make sense to allow for different versions of Paz that appear in the show.

I know we're just about done with his CRL revisions so I'll chat with Ascalon (CRL Director), about his thoughts on this matter.

When I write the BRL, however, I will likely keep the repeating blaster and pack a requirement for the MMCC level two status.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

stormtrooperguy

« Reply #16 on: Apr 22, 2021, 02:15 PM »
Din has different versions, which we allow so it would make sense to allow for different versions of Paz that appear in the show.

I know we're just about done with his CRL revisions so I'll chat with Ascalon (CRL Director), about his thoughts on this matter.

When I write the BRL, however, I will likely keep the repeating blaster and pack a requirement for the MMCC level two status.

Thanks! To give more specifics on why I'm asking so much about this...

When I started this project, I purchased 2 different sets of model files for Paz, and am mixing and matching based on who I think did better with which part.

One of the file sets uses a raised bar on the back plate and a hook on the pack. The other uses rounded bumps on the backplate and concave recesses on the pack. The net result is the same -- the pack sits tight against the backplate. I ended up using the raised bar one anyway, but it got me thinking about the different options out there.

If the attachment method isn't seen, it would seem odd to discount one set of files for an internal detail.

stormtrooperguy

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2021, 10:27 PM »
I've been plugging away... Marko made a new model for the helmet, so of course I had to upgrade:

I've got the blaster printed:

And I've worked out the hose for the pack:

The backpack is printed:

Got the boot armor sized to fit the boots well:

lots and lots and lots of sanding.

Rayne

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2021, 08:11 AM »
You’re making great progress! Looking forward to seeing the sanded and finished pieces!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Mi'ix

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2021, 10:25 AM »
Looks good!

That helmet is much better. The triangles, especially.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

stormtrooperguy

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2021, 01:57 PM »
You’re making great progress! Looking forward to seeing the sanded and finished pieces!

Me too! so. much. sanding.

I'm working my way down the torso... I've got the chest, shoulder straps, shoulders, elbows, forearms all painted. The backplate is in the sand/prime/fill/repeat stage. The hand plates I should knock out tonight, along with the codpiece.

I started working on the belt. 1 pouch has been cut, shaped, dyed and is ready to sew. 3 more to go. The main belt itself is ready for details to be attached. I have the JJ Industries metal detail parts set, so I am excited to get those on.

I'm hoping to have him done by late summer, in time for the New England convention season to kick in come September.

stormtrooperguy

« Reply #21 on: Aug 18, 2021, 04:02 PM »
Long time, no update! I've been hard at work though...

Belt:

Jetpack:

Thighs:

Shins:

Forearms:

Blaster:

Rayne

« Reply #22 on: Aug 22, 2021, 06:17 PM »
Your pieces turned out nice! Just a bit of weathering on the belt and they’ll be good. 

On the jetpack, it looks like the lower sections of the jets have a bit more silver on them from the references I have. Do you have different photos from the show that they are more brown?

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

stormtrooperguy

« Reply #23 on: Aug 23, 2021, 11:21 AM »
RE the colors... this is a pic from "The Star Wars Book" (https://smile.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Book-Expand-knowledge/dp/1465497900/)

It's the only decent res, well lit picture of the backpack I've ever seen.

stormtrooperguy

« Reply #24 on: Aug 23, 2021, 11:26 AM »
Last night I tried on the upper body. I haven't weathered the suit, belt or shorts yet so they all jump out as super clean. It was really fun putting this thing on for the first time.

Major notes at the moment:
  • there is no padding in the forearms so they are just sort of sitting on my wrists
  • the chest is only secured at the shoulders, so it's floating at the moment
  • the shoulders need some padding to sit better
  • i haven't finished the legs yet

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!