Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Marimov Armor Concept and Plan

• 11 Replies
Marimov Armor Concept and Plan
« on: Jan 27, 2021, 06:53 PM »
Alright, so the feel I'm going for is stealth/slicer/spec ops. It'll be in the modern era. I am 3d printing all the armor in pla plastic (if that material is acceptable and there aren't any major downsides I'm unaware of).
-The helmet is going to be designed after the assassin helmet.
-The gauntlets will have a couple secondary weapons, a data spike/comp stick/whatever-else-they're-called, as well as buttons and other greebles for slicing.
-As far as armaments' go, I'll have a TL-50 heavy repeating blaster, a DL-18 as a sidearm, and a knife (or knives; you can never have too many) for melee.
-I'm hoping to get a full flightsuit akin to the Air Force's and dye and modify as needed (I'll definitely have some questions on what pockets need to get cut among other things... but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it).
-For the vest... I have no clue what to do. I am not good at and really don't like sewing, so if anyone has any suggestions that'd be great, but for now I'm planning on buying either a custom one or modifying a plate carrier.
-The plan as it stands currently is to be a chiss. I am going to attempt this using fingerless gloves and making my hands blue underneath. I'll also probably try to incorporate the chiss ascendancy emblem somewhere on the armor. Lastly I will try to make my face blue and eyes red as well, but the goal would be to tell the story without having to take the helmet off or use potentially harmful contacts. This is all still a concept and I may opt out before I even get to that point as it will be one of the last steps.

Here is the color scheme I'm shooting for. I will be painting a sign/sigil on the forehead of the helmet and a different design going over the front torso armor pieces. Those will be in red with purple or blue as a 3rd color if the design needs it.

All comments and/or advice will be greatly appreciated!

Re: Marimov Armor Concept and Plan
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2021, 08:58 PM »
The standard material for approval is ABS, given its finished properly, given the fact that its much more durable. I have no idea if PLA is approvable, it might be, but it also might not. Today, or yesterday, someone made a really good tutorial on how to make a flak vest out of a plate carrier, so that might be worth checking out, if you don't buy one. 3D print is perfectly fine for all your armor pieces, but you may have to make several prints to shape your body naturally, so I'd recommend to make your chest plates and backplate out of Sinatra, to fit your body properly.

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2021, 11:30 PM »
I dig the kit! If I may suggest something... I like how you have little red accents on your gauntlets. You might want to consider adding some red accents to your leg armour as well. Just little bits here and there would break up the solid black you've got going on.

Oya!

Andry         ; )

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2021, 11:45 PM »
PLA is perfectly acceptable for prints, but I'd highly suggest going the Sintra route because you can have an entire set of armor cut out in an afternoon. Printing would take much longer. Sintra is cheap, durable, easy to shape and sand. So the downside of printing chest and collar armor is that if it isn't sized and fitted perfectly for you it's difficult to trim and shape. You might not be able to even use your first set that you print. You'll also spend a lot of time filling print lines vs just sanding the edges of your Sintra.

Things like gauntlets, knees and your helmet would be great to 3D print, however. Just make sure to get rid of all the print lines. You'll need Bondo, filler primer and LOTS of sanding.

If you'd like a vest, look into some sellers in the Trading Station. I buy all mine from K'raam Xrati and they're custom made to fit. Yheyre also the traditional Boba/Jango style and won't need any mods to get rid of the earthy tactical look.

MMCC #1484¦¦50 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan 
B.E.A.R.D.S #97 ¦ M.A.R.S. #21
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2021, 12:26 AM »
-That's a good point about the ABS. I don't currently have the ventilation for the fumes from ABS, and its way too cold to print in the garage right now. so I'll either make it once with pla and then again if needed or invest in more ventilation and different filament, we'll see.
-I did see the thread on using the plate carrier earlier and that's definitely looking like a good option right now. Although K'raam's vest is also looking really sweet. I'll need to go back to budgeting it all out to decide between the two.
-Now that you mention the legs, I think some connected red design on all the armor pieces would look pretty cool. Unfortunately, I am terrible at drawing and the website I was using only has solid colors for the armor plates (that I'm aware of that is, its entirely possible i missed some aspect of it).
-That's also a really good point on needing to do multiple attempts to fit right. I'll definitely be looking into Sinatra now. It would also help to not have to deal with attaching two parts of a piece together because the printbed is too small to do the whole stomach piece at once.
Thanks!

Kurshi BeJahaal

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2021, 01:16 AM »
I send a lot of people here to get their Sintra. It comes in. 2'x4' sheet for $8 plus shipping. And flat rate shipping is $9 for anything under 50 pounds. You could get two sheets shipped for under $30.  :)

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2021, 02:31 PM »
First off thank you for the reference to the site to get sintra.
Ok, so while i'm working on deciding on soft parts, waiting for temps to rise above freezing to sand and paint, and perfecting the many files i'm trying to make for the printed parts, I thought of another little addition to the armor that could keep the printer warm. Has anyone thought of or tried to display iron hearts on their armor with the intent of "carrying those who have gone marching far away into battle"? If so how would you do so while making it appear as though it is done in honor/remembrance  and not as trophies? The last thing I would want it to look like was my mando killed other mandos.

Another idea i've been toying with is using a duster for the armor because dusters look sweet. I've been looking at the various threads here and into various dusters for sale online. Any tips, tricks, or recommendations?

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2021, 10:48 PM »
I think a majority of us carry diamonds from friends or in honor of loved ones. Friends and I have exchanged diamonds with one another just to have a bit of them with us during each troop.

I carry one or two off of my right shoulder where my wookiee braids hang. But go figure, I don't have a good picture of them.

I also carry the rest from my belt:

But the question came up of "is this the proper place to carry diamonds of friends and loved ones?" So you have a great question!

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Certified crazy cat mando
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2021, 11:37 PM »
What a cool idea! I'd love to see more details of their design if you're able to share. How do you make them?

Interested in the duster idea as well!

| Hard Goods WIP | Soft Goods WIP | Planning Log |

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2021, 12:34 PM »
What a cool idea! I'd love to see more details of their design if you're able to share. How do you make them?

Diamonds are just made from extra Sintra. Just cut, bang them up and paint!  :)

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel verburyc, draar solus"
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2021, 01:32 PM »
Diamonds are just made from extra Sintra. Just cut, bang them up and paint!  :)
.       They are super fun to make!! ;D  I have also hung one on my bed room door :sabine:

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2021, 04:00 PM »
You'll need Bondo, filler primer and LOTS of sanding.

That depends on the quality, resolution and material of the print. A good print with excellent resolution in PLA will only require a ton of sanding and a couple primer coats to smooth out. A decent print in ABS or resin? Clear your calender and prepare for carpal tunnel, because that s**t is TOUGH.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!