Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kainrath's Blaster WIP

• 22 Replies
Kainrath's Blaster WIP
« on: Jan 29, 2021, 11:41 AM »
Thinking about starting off using this stock as a base...

Any thoughts about what to do with the hammer? Remove it entirely or try and modify it to look more Star Wars-y?

Re: Kainrath's Blaster WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2021, 01:50 PM »
Please tell me that’s a CVA and not a Thompson Center... :-X

That aside, I’d probably remove the lock/hammer assembly and fill it in with tubes/wires/dials/greebs, or make it the spot where the mag/charge pack is inserted.

Looks like a great base to work from!

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2021, 05:06 PM »
I see that stock and think Tusken Cycler rifle.  I think you could incorporate the Hammer but replacing it with something else would make it easier to make it star warsy.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons [url=https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2021, 06:36 PM »
Please tell me that’s a CVA and not a Thompson Center... :-X

That aside, I’d probably remove the lock/hammer assembly and fill it in with tubes/wires/dials/greebs, or make it the spot where the mag/charge pack is inserted.

Looks like a great base to work from!

It was a Hawken...
I use to be a big muzzleloader hunter years ago.

I see that stock and think Tusken Cycler rifle.  I think you could incorporate the Hammer but replacing it with something else would make it easier to make it star warsy.
My thought was for it to be a slugthrower, akin to the cycler. Those pesky jedi can't reflect a slug :P
So I'm hesitant to remove the hammer completely, but it def needs some serious adjustment to fit the lore.

« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2021, 04:38 PM »
It was a Hawken...
I use to be a big muzzleloader hunter years ago.
My thought was for it to be a slugthrower, akin to the cycler. Those pesky jedi can't reflect a slug :P
So I'm hesitant to remove the hammer completely, but it def needs some serious adjustment to fit the lore.

Awesome! Love that there's some personal history there. I've gone muzzleloader hunting a couple of times, but now just shoot them for fun. This looks like it's going to be a great rifle, especially If it's thought out and executed as well as your leatherwork. I think this would make a great slugthrower/cycler.

« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2021, 09:02 PM »
Got some things to try and see what I could put together...

Trying to think through how to attach everything together. For now this will do as I consider more permanent options...

A quick and dirty version. A basic idea I hope I can build off of.

For the end of the barrel

Thinking of how Din Djarin's Amban rifle has the chamber that pops up to load the round into, I'd love to do something akin to that, perhaps in front of the hammer...

Like so...

But in all honesty I have no idea how to pull that off. While I like to think my mind is creatively artistic, I'm afraid my thinking is not mechanically creative.
Trying not to get bogged down with too much of that at the moment. For now I think I'm off to a good start.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, critiques would be greatly appreciated!

« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2021, 09:06 PM by Kainrath » Logged
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2021, 08:32 PM »
Slowly making progress...
Still trying to figure out what to put on and where to put it...
This is the most recent iteration ...

The scope is able to be adjusted by hand from the side position, up to a higher position so the gun can be turned slightly to see through it.
Seen here:

And here:

(the pipe clamps are just holding everything together till I get it all figured out)

Painting has begun!

« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2021, 10:56 PM by Kainrath » Logged
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2021, 12:51 PM »
The scope is able to be adjusted by hand from the side position, up to a higher position so the gun can be turned slightly to see through it.

This might help.
https://www.evike.com/products/55427/

« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2021, 11:13 PM »
Almost done...a few more finishing touches left to go, but it's finally starting to look like something!

EricL

• Rhasvuul Zeg
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2021, 08:27 AM »
That detail is exquisite! It looks like you rattled it around the bottom of a greasy toolbox for a month. And the muzzle is sweet, so swarzy. Will for sure save this for a reference!

vershnekit

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2021, 04:46 PM »
Impressive and brilliantly executed! I had no idea where you were going with it on the first post and you knocked it out of the ball park

« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2021, 04:59 PM »
Excellent work!

Where is the flipping scope???  ;D

« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2021, 10:16 AM »
Thanks so much for the kind words! Very encouraging!

Where is the flipping scope???  ;D

I wasn't happy with how I had the scope mounted, it didn't feel secure enough and it added quite a bit of weight. I may look into getting a smaller one that isn't so dang heavy.

One other idea I had was for a sight...but I can't decide if I think it looks silly or not...?

« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2021, 02:05 PM »
This is stunning work. I love it. Love how you reinterpreted the Hawken, keeping the classic lines of the stock but also adding enough parts to change that profile and make it feel very much in-universe, without going overboard or not adding enough. I feel like that's a hard balance to strike, and you nailed it. And the weathering is excellent. It looks like it's seen many years of use, dirt, grime, and wear in the hands of a series of mercenaries, or generations of homesteaders on an outer rim world.

Bravo.

« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2021, 02:33 PM »
This is stunning work. I love it. Love how you reinterpreted the Hawken, keeping the classic lines of the stock but also adding enough parts to change that profile and make it feel very much in-universe, without going overboard or not adding enough. I feel like that's a hard balance to strike, and you nailed it. And the weathering is excellent. It looks like it's seen many years of use, dirt, grime, and wear in the hands of a series of mercenaries, or generations of homesteaders on an outer rim world.

Bravo.

Thanks very much! It was an extremely rewarding endeavor. And like you mentioned a while back, having a personal history with the gun makes it even more special.

« Reply #16 on: Mar 19, 2021, 04:37 PM »
This whole project is fantastic. It gives me some ideas for greebling up my own rifle idea (it'll be a 3d printed 1895 Lee Navy). Absolutely looks like a cycler rifle. I dare say it is movie quality.

One other idea I had was for a sight...but I can't decide if I think it looks silly or not...?

As for the sight, I think it looks fine, though a bit out of place for a Mandalorian weapon, and sits higher than is practical. It is a great use of the hammer, though. My suggestion would be to add an equally beat-up-looking scope, and have the "sight" as a backup.

Rilal Birom

• Digur haar shupur, draar digur haar bajur.
« Reply #17 on: Mar 19, 2021, 06:06 PM »
This is such a great custom build!  I love what you've done here!  Very in-universe looking to me.  Well done!

Cabur Akaata #217     Vode Be Vhekad #22     House Nelvaan #7    

Post-Imp WIP

Facebook
Instagram
« Reply #18 on: Mar 19, 2021, 08:26 PM »
Thanks so much for the kind words!
I neglected to post the finished product, so here are a few shots...

I decided to remove the “sight” as well

« Reply #19 on: Mar 23, 2021, 02:29 PM »
I like how you changed the traditional wood of the stock/frame to white.  It makes it look like it was made out of a tusk or bone from a large animal.

« Reply #20 on: Mar 23, 2021, 02:35 PM »
I like how you changed the traditional wood of the stock/frame to white.  It makes it look like it was made out of a tusk or bone from a large animal.

That was the intention, to try and make it look like bone, or at least bone colored, so I’m glad that came through  :D

« Reply #21 on: Mar 23, 2021, 08:49 PM »
This build is truly impressive, I love how you transformed the original parts. Fantastic work  :boba:

Shurik Bhar'vani

• "Scopes are for people who worry they might miss"
« Reply #22 on: Mar 30, 2021, 10:59 AM »
Absolutely gorgeous. You should be extremely proud.

Honestly makes me tempted to repaint my own carbine's stock to get that bone effect...  :8):

"Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Nice list?  Must be a typo. <ZAP> <ZAP><ZAP> " -Bazii Malric on Santa Shurik, circa 201(3?)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!