Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Tse's Helmet progress

• 11 Replies

tsedeshgishnii

• Crazy like a space fox
Tse's Helmet progress
« on: Jan 14, 2021, 09:06 PM »
Hello all!

original concept/color scheme:

This helmet has been an journey! I started off with a hard hat, cut out ridges the top ridges and the rim.

Note: I did not cut the helmet with the naked blade, I was using a crappy tool that would leave the blade stuck in the helmet. Thanks to this forum I eventually learned to get better tools, and heat the plastic before I made any cuts. Game changer, let me tell you!

For the sidings I used an old bucket and initially ran into issues of how to mount it.

Basically I used the wrong tools and glue. I settled on using gorilla super glue and cut the helmet backing/wall in one piece.

Things got a little easier and the helmet started to look like one:

I am now terrified that the helmet is too big for me. I kept going anyway, just to see what happens/how to make a helmet from scratch.

After getting the sides "just right" or at least to a point where I was satisfied enough that any issues could be fixed with bondo, I slapped that stuff on. Once I got to a point where I was somewhat satisfied with the results I realized I forgot some flair. Added that after the fact and slapped more bondo on.

Many laters of bondo, and even more sanding. Seriously so much sanding, and I'm still not done... I came up with this:

I put some primer on to clearly see any issues (there are plenty, back to bondo land) and smooth out places I missed.

still uncertain on size

...So what do you all think? The design still needs lots of smoothing out, sharp angles suck, but hopefully it's approvable/looks cool? Another consistent issue I have is the sides. Angle's are so so to me. I gave up on the range finder because for whatever reason my brain would not allow me to figure out those schematics and I left that for another build. I'd probably want it to be motorized anyway and that is better left for another day.

Actual clans, translated to ENG then to Mandoa:
Ruus Tra
Ge'tal viinir lo yustapir
Brahl Yaym
Ge-tal Shebs

The Bearded Mando

• Run if you must, but you will only die tired.
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Tse's Helmet progress
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2021, 02:50 PM »
Overall the helmet looks good  :like:
Looks like you could trim 1/4" or so from the bottom. The width looks a tad much, but once you have armor and shoulder bells it will appear more in proportion.
looks like you might need to open up the horizontal part of the T a little, for better vision.

jethroskull

• Haat Gai
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2021, 02:53 PM »
I like the cloud motif, reminds me of home.

And the Bearded Mando knows helmets, lots of good advice there.

ĒIf you see the Force in hyperspace, kill the Force.Ē

A'den Syngh
Gediníla - Jaro
Ruug'la bal o'r te ara

tsedeshgishnii

• Crazy like a space fox
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2021, 03:26 PM »
Overall the helmet looks good  :like:
Looks like you could trim 1/4" or so from the bottom. The width looks a tad much, but once you have armor and shoulder bells it will appear more in proportion.
looks like you might need to open up the horizontal part of the T a little, for better vision.

Thanks for the feed back! I will trim the bottom, and hope the shoulder pads will do the trick for the rest. For the horizontal T, I'll experiment how far to widen that up. I'm using the strapping from the hard hat so the helmet doesn't has little to no wiggle, and unless I'm doing something crazy it should keep my eyes aligned just so.

Ruus Tra
Brahl Yaym
Ge-tal Shebs

tsedeshgishnii

• Crazy like a space fox
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2021, 03:28 PM »
I like the cloud motif, reminds me of home.

And the Bearded Mando knows helmets, lots of good advice there.

Thanks! I really wanted some personal flair. I feel like I'm flirting with the "too earthy" condition, but I figure native cultures are used all the time for inspiration, so I ran with that.

Ruus Tra
Brahl Yaym
Ge-tal Shebs

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2021, 03:31 PM »
I tried to use the hard hat harness from mine, but it just didnít fit. I ended up buying airsoft helmet padding.

tsedeshgishnii

• Crazy like a space fox
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2021, 10:12 AM »
I tried to use the hard hat harness from mine, but it just didnít fit. I ended up buying airsoft helmet padding.

On this one, the clips interfere with vision a little bit,  but I decided to ignore that in favor of stability. Plus my heads is small enough that I can ratchet the mechanism to fit inside. It's defiantly snug, and I may not stick with using the harness, we'll see.

Ruus Tra
Brahl Yaym
Ge-tal Shebs

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2021, 12:01 PM »
My problem was that the rear clips pushed my head too far forward. When I put the visor in, it pressed my nose flat. In order to get any amount of space for my face, my skull has to practically be in direct contact with the hard hat in the back.

tsedeshgishnii

• Crazy like a space fox
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2021, 10:11 AM »
Impatient to see paint on the bucket I did a color test spray:

Learned a lot about the importance of waiting to peel the tape (note big splotches missing on forehead). No matter how careful you are about over spray, you will get paint everywhere, so tape everything you don't want a color up! I also tested the toothpaste masking method for wear. It worked like a dream, and I will use that method for the real paint job.

I then sanded everything off, tried to repair the common stress points with superglue. I may end up forming the super glue to be thick enough to look like a weld mark when I paint over it, we'll see if it's necessary. It's at this point I doubled down and decided that I needed to Mando Up and figure out how to put together the rangefinder. My solution was to cut my own hinge and use magnets to ensure the range finder stays up right. I have yet to attach the actual range finder bit. I plan to use 3mm sintra to make it so it should be lightweight enough to hold up to the pressure. I will update you to with the results.

As that is in the works I am applying the final paint job to the helmet

A small note on weather the helmet. I noticed a lot of people used a 3rd color to highlight the wear as a 3rd layer that is only seen on the weathering area's. I thought about it, and decided against it. My plan is to work on the finer details with washing/paint/charcoal stage of  weathering. I may decide that it isn't enough and start over. We shall see...

Ruus Tra
Brahl Yaym
Ge-tal Shebs

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2021, 10:54 AM »
Even rubberized superglue like Gorilla Glue is really brittle. For sticking one non-loadbearing item to another, it works great, but if the stress on that point was enough to break it, superglue will not hold it for any length of time. I recommend using some form of epoxy or resin for repairs instead.

tsedeshgishnii

• Crazy like a space fox
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2021, 12:50 PM »
Even rubberized superglue like Gorilla Glue is really brittle. For sticking one non-loadbearing item to another, it works great, but if the stress on that point was enough to break it, superglue will not hold it for any length of time. I recommend using some form of epoxy or resin for repairs instead.

Would it work if I reinforced the inside, or would it have to be on the outside as well?

Ruus Tra
Brahl Yaym
Ge-tal Shebs

tsedeshgishnii

• Crazy like a space fox
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2021, 05:00 PM »
Got the range finder together and to a "good enough" stage that will need a final bit of weathering and I'll call it done for now.

any glaring issues?

The rest of the helmet is coming along good, took a stab at paint/dust weathering!

I did it!

Now the big questions is if I can make my pauldron'  make my frame look big enough to fit the helmet....

Ruus Tra
Brahl Yaym
Ge-tal Shebs

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!