Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP - Bo-Katan Live Action

• 21 Replies

CaTra Dral

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan Growth Force Hunter Brigade Member 267th Rapid Assault
WIP - Bo-Katan Live Action
« on: Feb 07, 2021, 01:15 PM »
I’m a sucker for punishment - I always used to tell myself that I would only build one project at a time. But when I saw Bo come on screen in the Mandalorian, I abandoned that completely. Because of the complexity of this kit and my health problems this year, I have ended up buying most of it.

My flight suit and flak vest should be ready in April; my buckles are CNC machined metal and hopefully will be done at the same time. I have a friend crafting my belt, half chaps (sorry, horse person so that’s the best I can think of them), holsters and pouches out of leather for me. My backplate and jetpack are being completed and should hopefully be done in the next month or two. I’m just waiting on those.

Friday, my bucket, armor and shoes came in. I chose the ABS route for my armor and resin for my bucket. It fits like a glove, and I’m so excited to start sanding and finishing it.

Shoes were tough to find; they look like work boots but I really didn’t want to spend $130 on boots I’ll only wear a couple of times a year. The black paddock boots I bought for my rebels bo kit seem pretty close in tread, but the brown model has been discontinued so I couldn’t get them. Which stinks, because they are really comfortable. I found these at DSW and they are pretty comfy too. If they aren’t right, I’ll wear them for work😂

Now it’s time to find the right paint colors! I bought some duralumen to use as a base for the silver and I have some different blues to try. We’ll see.

I’ll be curious to see which Bo is done first, ahaha. They may cross the finish line at the same time!

Brigades Member:
Force Hunter/ Demolitions

Bo-Katan Rebels Season 4 WIP

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

Dala Aran

• OM #1641 "Slow is smooth & smooth is fast"
  • Awards Celebration Chicago 40% increase or more Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: WIP - Bo-Katan Live Action
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2021, 02:12 PM »
Who is making Bo Katan abs armor? Since I dislike 3d prints that's a nice option.

CaTra Dral

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan Growth Force Hunter Brigade Member 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2021, 02:27 PM »
I got this one from Jsin Props. I originally was only going to buy the chest, ab, backplate and jetpack (after I finally print the jetpack for my rebel bo at the correct size, I will never print a jetpack again, lol) and print the rest, but when I saw the rest of the armor after he pulled it, I decided to buy it last minute. I’m 5’4” and this stuff seems like it was made for me. It’s awesome.

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

Rayne

• Dralshy’a Tome (Stronger Together)
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Brigades Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2021, 08:48 AM »
Looks like you’re on the right track! I’m having trouble finding references for her boots, I’ll keep looking to see if I can find anything.

Tra'cor Clan // MMCC#1968
Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

CaTra Dral

« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2021, 11:11 AM »
Thanks! Goldencat was nice enough to share this on her WIP, so this is what I used for reference. I definitely welcome any and all reference photos though! I’m curious about the piece of leather across the toe; it should be easy enough to add if it is needed.

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2021, 12:09 PM »
Looks like there is some sort of leather spat or cover over top of the boot and the armor plate there.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

CaTra Dral

« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2021, 01:53 PM »
I definitely see that; but in front of the spat/gaiter/half chap there seems to be one 1”  leather band that is attached to the boot. Or am I seeing it incorrectly? I’ve marked it in red.

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

Rayne

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Brigades Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2021, 07:12 PM »
I’m going to have to do more research on this strap thing. In some shots it looks like it goes over the boot and in others it looks like it only goes part of the way. I’ve been digging through references and her feet are not in many shots  :porg2:

« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2021, 02:15 PM by Rayne » Logged
Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

CaTra Dral

« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2021, 08:39 PM »
Thank you so much! Haha yeah, they sure aren’t very helpful with that; we got a good shot of Koska’s but hers, not so much!

Got the visor cut out and it makes such a difference. I really want to start sanding and priming it. It is so hard to only be able to sit for a limited time due to my back. So thankful for friends who help with some of the harder stuff.

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

Rayne

« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2021, 07:41 PM »
Visor looks good!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

CaTra Dral

« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2021, 10:09 PM »
Thanks!

Our clan has started virtual armor parties every month, and at least that is some motivation 😂 I used the time to start sanding the edges of some of my armor. Got the thigh and shins done and primed, yay!

I’m going to try and keep sanding so I can keep painting. I really want to start moving again!

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

Rayne

« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2021, 08:00 PM »
Looking good! Armor parties are great for motivating!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

CaTra Dral

« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2021, 09:43 PM »
Much appreciated! They really are great for it. I am not sure yet which I hate more, sanding 3d prints or ABS. I think it’s 3D prints for the win though. For instance, there is no rhyme or reason where my shoulder bells should be sanded back too, haha. I had done about all my body could handle though, so I’ll work on it tomorrow.

Paying for it today, my back is killing me, but oh well. Maybe my injections this week will help. I’m going to keep trying to work on it little by little.

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

Mi'ix

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2021, 09:23 AM »
Slow and steady wins the race!

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

CaTra Dral

« Reply #14 on: Apr 01, 2021, 09:48 PM »
I need to keep reminding myself that, haha.

I sanded my chest plate and primed it. Going to try and get them all done before I start painting.

It’s much easier to do this than deal with trying to print the backplate and jetpack for my rebels bo 😂😂

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

Rayne

« Reply #15 on: Apr 02, 2021, 08:35 AM »
Wow it’s looking great! Nice job!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

CaTra Dral

« Reply #16 on: Apr 26, 2022, 09:52 PM »
I’m back!! I have been making a ton of progress finally. My westars are on the printer, now that I’ve fixed the problem on my new one. Thank goodness.

It took me a long time to decide what colors I wanted to use. I tried some rustoleum but I just didn’t like it. So I finally decided to use the Montana Blue Magic and the Duralumen. That included investing in an airbrush. I have to say… those skills need some improving!

I’ve also started weathering my gauntlets; I’m not done with these but it’s a start. I’m having a tough time getting enough off the reference photos; I keep looking, moving to the next, making sure I’m looking at the left gauntlet front, finding the left gauntlet back (is this really the Left? Gotta double check!), and so forth. But I do enjoy it.

I do have a question about the range finder; it mentions a clear cast resin piece inset. My range finder stalk is metal and the actual piece is resin; I could cast a clear resin insert in there myself but I want to make sure I’m understanding it correctly before I do anything. Can you all help clarify?

It feels so good to work on this again.

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

Mi'ix

« Reply #17 on: Apr 26, 2022, 09:58 PM »

What you're looking at is the Brigade requirement for Bo. The way the CRL is written, if you wanted to pass for basic, all you'd need to do is paint the topper black.

For that Brigade requirement, it's written to have that insert be opaque because we can't see through it, but there is some translucency there.

Looks like you're making some really good progress!

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

CaTra Dral

« Reply #18 on: Apr 27, 2022, 09:04 AM »
I want to work on my kit for brigades, I figure I might as well do it instead of having to make changes afterwards. I like the idea of having it as screen accurate as possible.

That photo helps a ton, thanks! So then I can add resin myself; I’ll post a photo of my rangefinder when I get home. I’d have to make a dam to keep it from spilling over but I know it can be done.

Thanks so much! I am so excited to work on it. I got to pick the brain of our approved Bo from our clan this weekend. It is awesome to work together.

« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2022, 09:11 AM by CaTra Dral » Logged
Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

Mi'ix

« Reply #19 on: Apr 27, 2022, 09:45 AM »
We would love to have you!

I really like the look of the color you chose for the base of the chest plate, just make sure that you leave the diamond a noticeably brighter color than the surrounding plates as that's sort of a subtle detail that Bo has.  I think it was to sell the "beskar" appearance of the armor.   

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

CaTra Dral

« Reply #20 on: Apr 27, 2022, 12:30 PM »
Awesome! I love the process, but definitely can’t wait to turn in that application 😂

Definitely will do! I’ve seen a lot of people overlay flat iron over it. I will have to see if that is the route I want to take though.

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

CaTra Dral

« Reply #21 on: Apr 28, 2022, 11:05 PM »
Last night I worked on the gauntlets - I am not done with the rocket launcher housing; it needs some silver accents.

After I’m done with that, I’ll probably take one more look at it. But I’m maybe 78% happy with it?

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!