Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Marimov helmet

• 20 Replies
Marimov helmet
« on: Feb 07, 2021, 10:13 PM »
Here is the design of my helmet so far. The colors will be black for the main color, red for designs and secondary color, and silver as a highlighting color/metallic color for wiring and greebles. Silver will also be used around the visor. Original concept and colors are here in my concept post: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=199309.msg2194554#msg2194554 . The feel I'm going for is stealth/slicer/techy.

Any help, tips, or tricks are appreciated.

Re: Marimov helmet
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2021, 09:34 PM »
I finally got around to almost printing it, but then i realized I don't have a plan to put the visor in. Does anyone have an assassin style helmet that they could send a picture of the interior and visor attachment method?

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2021, 10:28 PM »
You could inset Chicago screws from the backside of the visor area and then epoxy them into place. If you know the diameter of the side you want to be glued in you could make plugs that size and make negative spaces for the screws to set down into.
I myself am going to use the Chicago screws and heat them and then press them into the printed helmet (hopefully not distorting the helmet in the process) to put my visor in on my current project helmet.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2021, 01:17 AM »
Thank you! That's a good idea that I had not thought of.
I was also wondering about the two extended portions of the assassin style visor and how to make the inset cheeks so that I can secure the left and right vertical portions of the visor. I cannot find any pictures of the inside of the NME assassin helmet online, so I don't know what it looks like to be able to model the print after it.

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2021, 04:28 AM »
Thank you! That's a good idea that I had not thought of.
I was also wondering about the two extended portions of the assassin style visor and how to make the inset cheeks so that I can secure the left and right vertical portions of the visor. I cannot find any pictures of the inside of the NME assassin helmet online, so I don't know what it looks like to be able to model the print after it.
From the ones Iíve seen in person theyíre just smooth resin and unless someone paid the install fee NME doesnít include any special hardware for installing a visor.  Just be weary that copying their design completely is considered digital recasting and that is frowned upon.

QMU#084
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2021, 01:06 PM »
Huh. I didn't know about the digital recasting thing. I was going under the impression that as long as it wasn't their exact file/model and I don't sell, give away, or otherwise distribute or profit from the concept it was ok. Very sorry if that impression was incorrect, I'm still pretty new to the 3d printing and digital design scene. Would there be a way to change it enough to be ok? Is it ok to try and replicate post print? Or is does the assassin idea just need to be scrapped until I can afford the actual helmet?

Bowfanny

« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2021, 02:35 PM »
You might be able to reach out to them to double check to make sure youíre still good. Theyíre usually pretty responsive and might give you the thumbs up.
Otherwise from where I am looking it just looks like the visor is similar.

QMU#084
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2021, 11:23 AM »
Well, after a long summer and forgetting I had a thread on the forums, I'm back with an update. There have been quite a few change of plans sense the last post, so here are the changes/developments:
1. NME did not get back to me at all after a couple of emails.
2. I switched to Gedyc Armory's Pre Visla helmet after getting a bigger budget for the kit and put my custom one on hold for the time being (I still hope to finish and print it at a later date, ideally after getting a response from NME)
3. I sanded, primed, bondo-ed, and got a first layer of gloss black paint on the helmet.

4. There were still a few print lines, so I put another layer of primer on and this happened. The primer and paint were two different brands and I didn't think it through all the way, but it looks kinda neat....

I am now wondering, would I be able to highlight the cracks sort of like Kylo Ren's helmet in episode 9? (reference image: https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.WGP6wWvFsufo5w4POm0w7AAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=295&h=166)
If so, how would I do that? I was thinking "black washing" with red acrylic paint mixed with water, but that has not been going so well while I've been testing it.
Any help or advise is appreciated. Thanks!

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2021, 12:18 PM »
Though you might think they look neat, the App team will kick the helmet back fro those cracks.

« Reply #9 on: Sep 22, 2021, 11:47 AM »
That's what I was wondering. Thanks. I've started to try and fill them with bondo, but the primer did a number on the smoothness of the helmet even where the cracks aren't, so it'll be a hot minute until the helmet it back to painting stage. Another fun thing I found out while working on the ear pieces is that my clear coat doesn't like the gloss black paint either.
The question on how to highlight the cracks in red still stands though. I might use it for future projects that have more intentional cracks and probably won't be for an official kit.

Bowfanny

« Reply #10 on: Sep 22, 2021, 08:09 PM »
That's what I was wondering. Thanks. I've started to try and fill them with bondo, but the primer did a number on the smoothness of the helmet even where the cracks aren't, so it'll be a hot minute until the helmet it back to painting stage. Another fun thing I found out while working on the ear pieces is that my clear coat doesn't like the gloss black paint either.
The question on how to highlight the cracks in red still stands though. I might use it for future projects that have more intentional cracks and probably won't be for an official kit.
I have that same helmet printed. Itís one of the ones Iím working on for my kit update. Most of us donít use clear coat because it is very finicky.

NME has been extremely busy the past six months or so as the main fellow was hired by a prop company for tv/movie stuff. You might be able to message Robb who works at NME to get a better message response.

Anyway, back to the helmet. My pre Vizsla had an ear biting issue that caused major pain and discomfort so I cut the pieces out that pinched.

QMU#084

EricL

• Rhasvuul Zeg
« Reply #11 on: Sep 22, 2021, 09:32 PM »
Ö update. Most of us donít use clear coat because it is very finicky.

Just to clarify, does this mean you donít use clear coat between color coats? Or donít use it at all?

« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2021, 09:36 PM by EricL » Logged

Bowfanny

« Reply #12 on: Sep 22, 2021, 11:00 PM »
Just to clarify, does this mean you donít use clear coat between color coats? Or donít use it at all?
I personally donít use it at all.

QMU#084

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #13 on: Sep 22, 2021, 11:50 PM »
I do use clear coats. However, unlike most people here, I work exclusively with acrylic paints, and, on this build, with an airbrush. I donít use enamels at all, no spray paints; so the issue of mixing different brands isnít an issue.

EricL

• Rhasvuul Zeg
« Reply #14 on: Sep 23, 2021, 07:26 AM »
Ok, thanks for that! I like to collect different methods and see what Iíll like best when the time comes.

Sorry to hijack your thread Marimov, I will keep following  your work here for sure.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!