Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP Forgemaster

• 18 Replies

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
Re: WIP Forgemaster
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2021, 09:58 PM »
Out of curiosity, why didnít you slice it in half and print it flat?

« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2021, 10:10 PM »
Out of curiosity, why didnít you slice it in half and print it flat?

Wouldn't fit on my stage. This print is literally the size limit of my printer, and I wanted to see if it could in fact be done.

I could have printed it in parts, but I wanted to see if things like my bracers could be printed up in one piece. Looks like the bracers can, MAYBE the greaves as well, thigh guards and bells MIGHT, and cod SHOULD fit. Bucket and chest/backplates WON'T. I already want a bigger printer this fall, we'll see if I'm still interested in trooping when my last semester strikes or whether this was just a fun flash-in-the-pan learning experience.

Odran Krayt

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din (Family is more than blood)
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2021, 12:40 AM »
Why did it take 7 days? Did you have it set to high quality?

B.O.M.B.  #85|L.O.B. #41|M.A. #180|MAJIC #184|B.o.B.B #028
New Death Watch Order #44|O.O.P.S! #44
ALUMINATI #053 | V.B.V #7
Odran Krayt WIP
Nexan Armories (Sales thread)
I've been doin' this since I was 10!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2021, 09:30 AM »
Why did it take 7 days? Did you have it set to high quality?

It was my first costume print, and my first print of this size, so I increased the size of the outer walls in order to be more forgiving while I learn the sand/prime/sand/paint process. I also went with a 60% infill. I want a nice sturdy prop piece that has the heft of an actual pistol rather than a toy. I'll probably keep these settings for printing my armour proper, as I've been looking at peoples different kits. Those who have metal construction generally have plates that hang differently than those who are using lightweight plastic and other materials.

I'm very satisfied with the result: the heft is balanced, and a little heavier than my EDC pistol (but nowhere near as heavy as my Judge), and it doesn't have the ultralight, delicate feel that nerf shooters have. Being new to 3d printing, the strength of the print was also a pretty big concern for me. This is PLA+, and other than the trigger (which is custom from another type of gun, the original trigger was much heftier) she seems rock solid. I'm also learning about printing in pieces: the barrel insert for the ion barrel is pretty much unaccessible, I'm going to have to do some tricky work to get it painted properly. It would, I think, have been better to print it separate, paint it, and then attach it later. Might do something like that with the greaves and some parts on the gauntlets.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!