Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Attaching Armor to soft parts (Question)

• 6 Replies

hoffma2026

• Making armor , tips appreciated!
Attaching Armor to soft parts (Question)
« on: Feb 20, 2021, 05:07 PM »
Iíso Iím going to 3D print my armor, and I donít know how to attach the hard parts (mainly chest plates and shoulders) onto the soft parts.
I was thinking hot glue but now it doesnít seem as good of an idea as it did before, and I am unable to edit the 3D files to have holes to sew everything on. Does anyone have any tips? Iím also looking for better ways to attach my leg armor than elastic and Velcro. Thank you!

« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2021, 09:28 PM by hoffma2026 » Logged
O'r a world vaii gar liser cuyir mayen, cuyir a Mando

In a world where you can be anything, be a Mandalorian
Re: Attaching Armor to soft parts (Question)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2021, 09:47 PM »
I doubt any kind of hot glue would work.
I personally use Velcro I sewed onto the soft parts and stuck onto the hard parts, but it hasn't been working out very well with the spacing on the chest pieces.
My personal choice in retrospect would be lots of magnets.

hoffma2026

• Making armor , tips appreciated!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2021, 09:54 PM »
I doubt any kind of hot glue would work.
I personally use Velcro I sewed onto the soft parts and stuck onto the hard parts, but it hasn't been working out very well with the spacing on the chest pieces.
My personal choice in retrospect would be lots of magnets.

Ok, thank you for the tips! I would of never thought of magnets!

O'r a world vaii gar liser cuyir mayen, cuyir a Mando

In a world where you can be anything, be a Mandalorian

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2021, 10:52 PM »
hot glue is actually a c.r.l. no no when it comes to plate attachment. industrial velcro works well if you use the adhesive type on your plates and the sew on type on your soft parts.  ;)

« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2021, 01:22 AM »
Iím personally planning on a combination of Velcro/magnets for the majority of my plates. Iíve heard from people in my clan that the industrial strength Velcro is pretty good and unlikely to fail, but also that placement can be tricky. So as I said, planning on Velcro in the center of the plates and magnets towards the edges/points.

I also figure that a combo of two methods is less likely to fail.

For shoulders though, Iím planning on doing a version of this. Not exact, but the general idea.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2021, 09:04 AM »
Magnets work well and can be moved around as needed if youíre planning on sewing pockets to keep them in.

Snaps are another option. Sew on snaps can be moved if they arenít placed right but they run small so it would take a few. The heavy duty kind require you to put hoes in your vest to hold them in place. ( you would have to glue to other side to the back of your plates and nail the placement)

You could also, very carefully, drill small holes through your plates and use Chicago screws to secure your armor to your vest. ( or try gluing the screw head to the underside of the plates, personally not much success with the glue without an inset to place them) Again this requires holes in the vest so you want to be really sure of your placement before doing this. (I used this for my hand plates and shoulder bells.)

Personally, for my chest armor,I used a mixture of butterfly pins ( changed the backs out for locking ones) and magnets. The pins are glued to the back of the chest plates with JB Weld ( not sure if that would work on a 3D print sorry).  This works great for me. The pins only make small holes and can be moved easily when determining placement for plates and magnets. The magnets are what really hold my plates on.

For my leg armor ( I went shnees) it is attached using leather straps and D-rings. Hopefully that helps.  :)

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons
Uur Shaadlan Facebook

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 2021, 02:17 AM »
Another option is to connect your plates together with nylon or even leather straps into a single cuirass you can just wear over your vest. Epoxy works great for attaching straps to the armor, or rivets. Thatís how Iím ďmountingĒ my armor. None of it will be attached directly to the vest. This leaves the vest completely in marred by Velcro, snaps, etc.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!