Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

The Road To OM Starts With a Concept.

• 3 Replies
The Road To OM Starts With a Concept.
« on: Mar 24, 2022, 04:05 PM »
Hello all! A while back (in the months leading up to Halloween last year to be exact) I joined these boards with the intent of getting into the wonderful world of mando armor building.  I figured a costume for the up coming holiday would be the perfect excuse to dip my toes into the water and see what I was capable of. Now that I have a small idea what I'm doing, I would like to make a real, not just a Halloween costume, set of armor, and become an official member, and I thought it wise to start from the concept stage and get as much feedback as I can along the way to come out with the best possible armor I can make.

To start with, I know I want to go with a Post Imperial style, and I have a general idea what I want the set to look like, so I hopped on Mandocreator and put together a concept that resembles what I want as closely as possible. (there are some armor parts I want to make/paint custom, but I couldn't do that on the site)

The thing I'm not currently sold on are the shoulders, I don't know if I want (or can even have) two styles of armor. This was also a good test for the color scheme I want to go with, which is a firetruck sort of theme. 

Here's one with "matching" shoulder bells, (they're both Din Djarin style)

and here's one with a Din Djarin style, and a legacy plate.

Any advice, feedback, opinions (or general sarcastic remarks  ;) ) are appreciated! I look forward to the journey ahead!

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Certified crazy cat mando
Re: The Road To OM Starts With a Concept.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2022, 08:24 PM »
You are certainly welcome to use different shoulders! The asymmetrical cobbled-together look is common for Post-Imperial mandos, particularly those we've seen in the Tribe. Legacy shoulders are also acceptable for Post-Imperial builds, I'm using them myself. In general, shoulder and leg armor seen in modern/legacy are usable for the Post-Imperial era.

I look forward to seeing where this goes!

| Hard Goods WIP | Soft Goods WIP | Planning Log |

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2022, 02:13 PM »
You are certainly welcome to use different shoulders! The asymmetrical cobbled-together look is common for Post-Imperial mandos, particularly those we've seen in the Tribe. Legacy shoulders are also acceptable for Post-Imperial builds, I'm using them myself. In general, shoulder and leg armor seen in modern/legacy are usable for the Post-Imperial era.

I look forward to seeing where this goes!

I'm glad to know I can mix and match things, thanks for clarifying! Cobbled together armor has always been a favorite of mine. It feels like the wearer has been doing their thing for a long time and maybe has some sick stories to tell around a fire. XD I just saw your thread and your armor looks like it'll be awesome btw!

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2022, 11:43 AM »
Got some sketches done to get a feel for what the armor will really look like, although they aren't the best I feel they get the job done well enough. I'll do more of the helmet specifically to get all the details written down and planned out later.

If anyone sees any potential problems, or has a suggestion please let me know!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!