Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Arco's planning log: cardboard shreds and reference images abound!

• 244 Replies

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Certified crazy cat mando
Re: First build – Need help with canon lore and design
« Reply #135 on: Aug 15, 2021, 11:51 PM »
Yeah, I’ve long accepted that it’s probably just a boring triangle. :laugh: But it’s become my dumb joke / hill to be dramatic on whenever I see it. Surely it will have a meaning like jaig eyes someday…

Yes, it looks like the problem with the model is that the cheeks jut forward compared to the brow. I was wondering if it would be possible to heat form it and bend it closer, but there’s no way to know if that would make the problem worse without ruining the print. If I had a 3D printer, I’d love to do some test prints, or even play around with shrinking the cheek measurements to match the brow. But since I’ll be commissioning a clan member to print for me, I think I’ll have to take this version of the model for now.

I like the idea of filling it with a sintra panel! I think that may be the solution…

Although I'd prefer a free file, I've also considered purchasing a file. Great Ape Studio has a fantastic screen-accurate Din Djarin helmet, and I'm quite fond of Alter Ego Armory's The Architect and The Foreman designs. Decisions are hard!

I made some sintra swatches, getting some extra practice with curves and beveled edges. After sanding the primer coat to a beautifully flat finish, I went ahead and did two layers of gloss black, and drumroll:

More orange peel! The audacity!!

Well, I’ve had it with the hours of sanding, delicate light spray coats, and three days of waiting between layers in hopes that the orange peel will decide not to show up. I’m bringing out the big guns.

It’s time to use car polish!

The idea is to use very fine sandpaper on the top color layer to gently wet sand away the texture, then bring the shine back with the compound. Ideally I’d have proper polishing equipment, but since I don’t, it’s likely some sanding scratches will show through the compound. For hand sanding, you go back and forth rather than in a circular motion, so if any scratches show through, it will look more like a “brushed aluminum” texture rather than chaotic swirls. Although I’d prefer a pure gloss look, I’m not opposed to “brushed beskar”!

Once you have a smooth surface, add the compound to a microfiber cloth and go nuts, pausing to wipe it away every so often. The result is quite nice! Here’s a before / after:

I noticed the compound results in a slightly lighter / milkier color than the original paint. It’s still clearly a gloss black though, and since the orange peel is gone, my guess is it will result in a clearer chrome layer despite the lighter color.

I’m pleased with the overall results, but it’s worth noting that it’s not a flawless finish. Since I didn’t have polishing or sanding tools, the sanding scratches still "show through" (as seen in the slight wavy texture at the edge of the reflection). That was with wet sanding 2k grit only. Also, when you sand through a layer of paint, it can result in problems. You can see it when sanding, but when polished, sometimes it goes away, other times it does not. The first piece here looked fine after it was polished, but the second one still shows the separate layers:

Interesting how that happens. It’s easier to sand through the edges, both because the sandpaper naturally curls around the edge, and also because heated sintra tends to curl upwards so the edge is raised a little. For my chrome sintra pieces, it’ll be very important to sand that as flat as I can. Maybe armor parties will be in session and I can borrow somebody’s palm sander?

I've read conflicting accounts on what to do after adding the compound. I'll try a layer or two of clearcoat for protection and see if that reacts well.

I’m dying to know what the chrome layer looks like on top of this finish. The weather needs to get better so I can paint!

Question: would the level of orange peel in the first image be acceptable for durasteel plates, or would I have to sand those flat, too?

| Hard Goods WIP | Soft Goods WIP | Planning Log |

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

Ravlin Todric

• We can do this the easy way, or the fun way.
« Reply #136 on: Aug 16, 2021, 02:18 PM »
Whoa.

Well done.

Personal dumb jokes are cool, keep it! I wasn't trying to rain on your parade.

You're way above my pay grade with both the 3D-printing and the painting now, so I'll shut up for once and let more experienced Mandos weigh in. I like where your head's at, though, so keep at it.

Beautiful test pieces, though. Sintra seems to like that stuff, even if it textures up.

"Looks like I'm takin' a break; really, I'm just reloading."

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel verburyc, draar solus"
« Reply #137 on: Aug 16, 2021, 02:47 PM »
Su'cuy Arco, that's looking sick!! :like: The car polish gives it a beautiful gloss. :porg1:

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

Karson Wren

• Clan Wren - Nayc solus jurkade cuun aliit
« Reply #138 on: Oct 09, 2021, 06:31 PM »
I do like that architect helm, but still bit pricey. I'd say go with the free din.

Loving your project!  :like:

I love

Clone wars

Rebels

Mandos

Clones

Bossk

Vi and Cardinal

And..... A million other things in star wars!!

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #139 on: Jan 21, 2022, 07:06 PM »
Thanks guys!  :cookie:

Been a while! I thought I'd give an update on where I am.

My motivation has been rather scrambled -- I want to work on this project, but it's tough to bring myself to get started. My perfectionism is my main roadblock, but that shouldn't stop me from working on mockups at least. I still dream of running around in my kit, but I'm a bit concerned that this will end up in the "I'll do it later" pile of amazing project concepts that never get completed. I gotta get back into it.

When I left off, I was working on paint swatches. It's too cold to paint now, so I'll have to switch focus.

My short-term goals for the moment: Start on my scrubs. Be more active on the forums. Get back to my The Mandalorian rewatch for screenshots and inspiration!

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

Matchstick1021

• Your Daily Splash of Orange
« Reply #140 on: Jan 21, 2022, 09:30 PM »
I understand hitting road blocks, one thing that helped me to overcome perfectionism was I reminded myself that star wars isn't a perfect galaxy. That is to say very little about star wars is 'perfect". The used and cobbled together look is everywhere in universe.

Just something that helped me!   :cookie:

Sucking at something is the first step towards being sort of good at something.
MMCC#2424
Rancor Clan
Traffic Cone #38

EricL

• Rhasvuul Zeg
« Reply #141 on: Jan 22, 2022, 09:13 AM »
I hit those same kind of roadblocks! It’s tough. But you’ve got a good plan to just start something. I recently finished tailoring my scrubs (mostly) and that had been the biggest kick in the pants so far to get me moving forward! Nothing motivates like a little success.

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #142 on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:21 PM »
I do need to take advantage of how grungy the Star Wars aesthetic is! I think I have it in my head that I need to make it perfect before weathering it, but I should really allow the weathering stage to cover the inevitable imperfections instead of obsessing.

The scrubs will be great to get done! My aspirations have bitten off more than my skill level can chew, so my first iteration will be just plain tailored scrubs with simple (remember, me: simple!) PI detail stitching. I'd love to make a full screen-accurate Din Djarin flight suit, but I need to allow myself the simple version to practice, or I'll forever be too intimidated to get started.

I have something exciting to share! As part of a belated family Christmas present, I got a giant cardboard box for mockups!

Also, the box contained a 3D printer! Ah, the possibilities...

Naturally, any PI kit needs a Mythosaur pendant. Should be great practice for 3D print finishing!

I'll be printing the helmet and pulse rifle (and perhaps a gauntlet?), and I'll want those in PETG for durability, so I'll have to play around with PETG when that comes in.

I'm working on customizing TheBrokenNerd83's helmet file in the meantime. Perhaps I should start a helmet WIP thread. Or, an armor thread that includes the helmet? Honestly, I'm still not sure how I want to split my build across the forums.

Matchstick1021

• Your Daily Splash of Orange
« Reply #143 on: Jan 25, 2022, 12:35 PM »
Honestly my entire build wip is only on my clans forum page. But depending on how active your clan is that might not be a great idea.

Sucking at something is the first step towards being sort of good at something.
MMCC#2424
Rancor Clan
Traffic Cone #38
« Reply #144 on: Jan 25, 2022, 06:13 PM »
Drop a WIP bomb on the clan page, Arco - it'll wake em up!

TBH one unified WIP thread seems like a decent plan, keeps eyes on and will draw more focused attention on the many aspects of your build. I've made a few WIP threads but I am mostly updating my main armor WIP at this point as the sub-items (helmet, gauntlets, soft kit) are more or less 'done' and I'm working on getting it all together as a unit. One thread seems like you have less things to keep track of, and then use the other boards to field directed questions about process etc.

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #145 on: Jan 26, 2022, 10:12 PM »
Oho! The new BoBF episode gave me some kit ideas! I posted my thoughts in the lounge, I'll probably avoid talking about them for a week or so in here to avoid spoiling people.

After too much struggle, I've customized the helmet file the way I wanted. Just gotta add a brace on the mandibles and read up on PETG, and I think I'm good to print a scale model. Anyone have sizing tips for people with glasses?

I'll start organizing a "hard parts" WIP thread to go along with my soft parts (maybe not on the dead clan page, but I'll be sure to spam our group chat!). Regarding separate WIPs, I think it's nice for the App team and people browsing for ideas, but when following a single build it's probably tricky to juggle them all. Perhaps I'll post separate threads with the complete build process when I go to apply.

Now, to go watch that episode again...  :boba:

« Reply #146 on: Jan 27, 2022, 09:28 AM »
i think im probably going to order a set of contacts honestly.  youd have to have a somewhat oversized helmet to fit glases under if they dont already fit.

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel verburyc, draar solus"
« Reply #147 on: Jan 27, 2022, 09:32 AM »
Glad to see you back at it Arco'thyel !!! Looking forward to seeing some progress ;D

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #148 on: Jan 27, 2022, 02:39 PM »
i think im probably going to order a set of contacts honestly.  youd have to have a somewhat oversized helmet to fit glases under if they dont already fit.

Jealous! I wish I could wear contacts, but I tried three brands and none of them fit -- they all kept sliding down and blurring my vision. I hope I'll be able to fit a helmet that's not too bobble-y.

Glad to see you back at it Arco'thyel !!! Looking forward to seeing some progress ;D

Oya Triss! I gotta get caught up on your thread and see what you've been up to!

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #149 on: Jan 28, 2022, 10:41 AM »
I need to stop perfectionism-procrastinating.

Vode, it is time. Pray for me.

"Hey guys, is it supposed to look like-"

*Nyoooom*

Taking pics is hard when that print bed is flying!

As of just now, 13 hours in and 13% complete:

Got a bit of lift, but my clan doesn't seem too concerned...

Props to my clan for putting up with my helicopter parenting. "Guys, is my helmet OK?" "Guys, is it supposed to be doing this?" "Guys, is my helmet OK?" "Guys, the supports look scraggly, am I doomed?"

Anyway, more overly concerned pics to come, I'm sure. Hopefully by Monday afternoon I will have a bucket!

...Monday afternoon?? I have to worry for that long???

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!