Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Armor and weapons WIP

• 10 Replies
First Armor and weapons WIP
« on: Feb 28, 2021, 07:33 PM »
Here we go!  Starting with concept and materials:

Initial inspiration from the title character from Clint Eastwoods "The Outlaw Josey Wales" and ran with it from their.  Making plates and such from Sintra, at least that is the plan at this time.

Current equipment/weapons will consist of (With planed matireals):
2x VJ1 Vibroblades (Stacked/laminated styrene sheets)
2x DE-10 Blaster Pistols (Ver-1 3D printed, Ver-2 milled metal and wood)
Firestar 10-k Blaster Carbine (wood, metal)
JT-12 Jetpack (???)
2x Thermal Detonator  (???- 3D printed?/Cast resin?/Cast Aluminum)
4x Grav Charge (if permitted) (???- 3D printed?/Cast resin?/Cast Aluminum)
2x EMP "droid popper" grenades ( (???- 3D printed?/Cast resin?/Cast Aluminum)

I was planning on using a few pre made items for the flack vest and under-helmet.

The flack vest: Black airsoft MOLLE vest, stripped down to just the vest and straps.  Removing all the pouches and MOLLE attachment points, and swapping out buckles for metal riggers buckles.  And adding any new attachment points for the pauldrons.

The helmet: Tactical helmet, stripped down to the shell and chin strap, with the  Mando helmet over/around it.  Adding a mic with a voice changer/amplifier.

Was going to use ether Bondo body putty or super glue and baking soda to fill in rivet points and any other seams.   Covered with a matt primer, then silver, then polyurethane, then exterior paint for colors and details.  That should make the colored paint ware naturally, while ensuring that the metallic paint underneath doesn't come off at all.

Planning on starting to order stuff on my next pay check.  Any pointers or warnings?  Am I missing a step?
Thanks ^_^

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel narir'shekemir, draar solus"
Re: First Armor and weapons WIP
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2021, 09:20 PM »
It seems all good to me ;D definitely post pictures of it when it comes :sabine:

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

Spartan 116

• You stick em, I'll kill em.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2021, 11:31 PM »
I built something just like that using a skull cap from a motorcycle helmet. I turned out that skull caps are more round than Mando helms. It turned out terrible.  Maybe you will get it to work better than me.  :vizsla:

« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2021, 02:13 AM »
I built something just like that using a skull cap from a motorcycle helmet. I turned out that skull caps are more round than Mando helms. It turned out terrible.  Maybe you will get it to work better than me.  :vizsla:

Here's hoping.  I picked the tactical helmet because they're pretty slim and minimal to begin with.  Hopefully it's slim enough. ^_^

« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2021, 10:19 PM »
Finally got my materials for the Vibroblades and the print files for my blasters.  Now to start building! ^_^

Parjii Saviin

• Munchkin
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2021, 02:59 PM »
glad to see you on the forums. The tac vest would be something I would highly suggest against it... only because it would be easier to actually get a specific Mandalorian vest. Tac Vests are very easy to identify even with the molle removed. However, it is still doable... and there is anything I can do to to help, I'll help :)

As for scratch build helmets, you can def do that with a tac helmet. Kall, our Ver'alor has done a scratch helmet build. I will see if I can find his WIP.

« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2021, 03:38 AM »
glad to see you on the forums. The tac vest would be something I would highly suggest against it... only because it would be easier to actually get a specific Mandalorian vest. Tac Vests are very easy to identify even with the molle removed. However, it is still doable... and there is anything I can do to to help, I'll help :)

Thanks for the advice ^_^.  I think I'm going to give it a go, though.  I'm not much of a tailor, so I'm hesitant to try to make one from scratch.  And the pre made flack vests I've found are a bit pricy.
I was intending to make a lot more modifications than removing the molle straps. ^_^ Replacing any buckles, adding a fabric gorge and shoulder coverings to attach the pauldrons to.
I namely wanted to use the tac vest as a platform because A- I'm planning a jet pack and want to attach it to something that is less likely to flop around, and sit higher on my back; and B- they're adjustable, so I can make sure it still fits easily as I'm trying to loose weight :P

As for scratch build helmets, you can def do that with a tac helmet. Kall, our Ver'alor has done a scratch helmet build. I will see if I can find his WIP.

Awesome! Thank you, I'll look into finding his WIP as well.

« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2021, 03:28 PM by Emrys Mar » Logged
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2021, 03:28 PM »
I've worked out some details for my helmet design. 

The text on the back reads:
"I'm still alive, but you are dead. I remember you, so you are eternal." in Mando'a, across the top followed by the names of his ancestors who died in combat (wearing this armor, or at least past iterations of it).  The most recent is his father, who died in the Great Purge while fighting to evacuate civilians (namely children).
I may or may not go through with the text, depends on how much of a pain it ends up being to apply.

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2021, 05:25 PM »
Hey,
Still working on my kit.  Sadly, however, it had to get put on a back burner for a bit as things at my day job just picked up.  A lot.  I got handed a whole set at the attraction we're working on, to do on my own.  This is definitely a good thing for me, but it means a shift in project priorities.

So that's been taking up the majority of my time, even working from home in my workshop here, as I'm more familiar with my own tools and work space so I can get more done.  Which means little progress on the armor and weapons.

Once I have some progress to post, it will be up here!  Hopefully that will be soon. ^_^

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel narir'shekemir, draar solus"
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2021, 05:37 PM »
Some times it is hard to work on are kits when life gets in the way. But I am sure you will be able to work on your armor soon. Definitely be proud of your self with your job, it sounds like your doing very well at it  :D

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 04:44 AM »
So, working on my Grave mines.  I got a set of them from Etsy.  They were some what disappointing due to a possible translation issue (they came from Italy, and the info was clearly put through Google Translate).  They look good, but aren't made of aluminum as I was let to believe.  So I'm currently planning to use them as blanks for molds, so I can remake them in aluminum.  I'll use them as stand-in's until then (they also need to be sealed, the maker used Rub-n-buff, but didn't seal it after wards, so they leave silver smudges everywhere).  So this problem has been solved. ^_^

The real problem I have is this: I also found a set of flashing LEDs that are perfect, except that they are turned on/off by a magnetic field rather than a push button (the amazon description didn't mention this).  Here's a short vid of the light(s), and the issue with them.

Anyone have a suggestions as to where to find lights like this, similar pattern of red LED's, that activate with a push button?  Like a push light?  Relatively cheap?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!