Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Build - Concept & Questions

• 29 Replies

Ravlin Todric

• We can do this the easy way, or the fun way.
Re: First Build - Concept & Questions
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2021, 12:48 AM »
I've got a pull saw or two - they're great. Coping saw is for smaller, tighter cuts.

And now, for something completely different:

It's color scheme opinion time! What does everyone think?

Flight suit is most likely pewter gray Dickie's, the plates are NOT meant to be metallic in color, and the yellow is meant to be antique gold or brass.

Made with MandoCreator.com. I reserve the right to choose my final color scheme, if that ain't obvious. :)

Should I make this a quiz thingie? Is that even an option? I'll think about it.

Thanks for the great tips so far, vode. I didn't even expect the planning to be this much fun.

« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2021, 12:55 AM by Ravlin Todric » Logged
Contrary to appearances, I do not, in fact, have any idea what I am doing.

Usually.
« Reply #16 on: Mar 14, 2021, 04:26 AM »
Very nice! Each one has its own charm, you really can't go wrong with any of them. The color scheme of "gray with a pop of gold" is always a favorite of mine, so #2 and #3 stand out to me, especially #2 with the bold iron heart.

Yeah, I'm curious about how polls work in the forums... if you reply to the post with a poll, does it update the original post with the poll, or your new comment? I noticed I only have that poll reply option on my own threads, so I'm not sure!

Isn't it wild how entertaining the planning stage is turning out to be? At this point, I may never get to building! :laugh:

Arco's armor concept thread: Come help me plan things out!

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"No offense, but Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

Ravlin Todric

« Reply #17 on: Mar 31, 2021, 03:39 AM »
Thanks, Arco. Pretty much everybody I've talked to agrees with you - 2 and 3 are popular. I haven't made my final decision yet, but it's definitely between those two.

Alright, now for updates, but no pictures as yet. I'll remedy that when I can.

Knife
I made a knife. 6mm Sintra, aluminum tape, paracord grip. I need to weather it, but it's...okay. I doubt it's to CRL specs yet, if it ever will be. My family says it looks like a commando blade. I say it looks like a butter knife.

Blaster
Foam was out, so I started over with poplar. After much swearing, clamping, sawing, hacking, more swearing, sanding, and chipping, I reached the conclusion that I REALLY don't like working with poplar. It splits too much, chips out on curved cuts. I know I'm doing it wrong, but boy howdy, do I prefer hobby ply and good old MDF.

So I grabbed a scrap of 3/4" MDF (WHY DID I NOT DO THIS EARLIER?!) and started over yet again. Third time's a charm, right?

I got the template trimmed, but it's not shaped yet. I also have to figure out what I'm going to do for the grips, but that should be a little easier.

And now, a
Question: Sourcing a Bucket
I always intended to buy my helmet, as the dome was daunting. I'd still love to get one from the Mercs on the forum here - Hawker's Row, Continuous Sales - but with the pandemic and all, I know some vendors have been hit hard. I don't want to stress, bother, or otherwise annoy anyone, so I'm more than content to wait.

In the meantime, I discovered hard hats can be quite cheap, which led me to reconsider making my own helmet. I'm still hesitant to do so, for fear of becoming Bobble Fett, and I need to read up on scratch-building a bucket (from Sintra or actual buckets, whichever) - but I thought I'd ask for recommendations.

I'm not real sure what my question is here - I guess I'm kinda curious if anyone's got a favorite vendor, or recommends scratch-building over purchase, or whether I'm overthinking it. I'll be doing more research on scratch-building a bucket (I know it's in the Halls of Knowledge), just wanted to see if there was some sort of consensus on the matter.

Thanks in advance.

Usually.

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #18 on: Mar 31, 2021, 01:22 PM »
Watch the Bearded Mando’s youtube series. It will cover pretty much everything you need to know about scratchbuilding a helmet. Even though he uses a bike helmet, I used his technique on a hard hat to good effect. I will advise against using Sintra for the structural features on the helmet; it is too rigid and too brittle for the application. Use bucket plastic as recommended.

And a personal note: the more accurate your measurements and cuts, the better your helmet will turn out. I used a set of calipers to make sure my mandibles were of comparable width.

Ravlin Todric

« Reply #19 on: Apr 06, 2021, 01:54 AM »
Ah yes, the Bearded Mando! Excellent series.

I think I promised knife pictures. Well, here's the second, better knife:

Update - 04/07 - A Knife to Be Proud of!
This is the latest, and last for a while, of my One-Day Build knives. I'm quite pleased with it.

Actually looks like a Vibroblade this time.

Blaster
No progress, no pics. I'm starting to realize I just don't have the tools to scratch-build something that ergonomic. I've done plywood swords before, but in comparison they're far simpler. Lot of straight lines. I have considerably less experience carving than I do cutting.

I get why converting dollar store toy guns is so much more popular. I hate abandoning projects - I had a neat design, too! - but I may break down and just find something to modify. I'm certainly doing that when I get to the carbine, anyway.

Bucket
Less ambitious with the blaster, more ambitious with the helmet. I'm gonna go ahead and try to make my own. I'm more confident in this because I've got a template to work with, and I shouldn't need a bandsaw or scrollsaw or eighteen hours with a hacksaw to make a dent in the stuff.

I hope.

Soft Parts
And, as usual, while I actively spin my wheels getting nowhere on the stuff I try to work on, other parts of the project fall neatly into place! My flight suit (scrubs) arrives in a couple days, and I now have a brown web belt for ammo pouches.

I'm probably going to use an old, reliable pair of brown boots I've got and cover the laces with spats. Already got a pair of black gloves, too, so the soft parts are coming along. Girth belt, flak vest, neck seal, and spats mentioned above are still outstanding.

Miscellaneous Character Tidbits
I've decided on a number of little things about Ravlin:
- He's got an old mini-probe droid named Beecher, reprogrammed to be an energetic nutball of a slicer and maintenance droid. Beecher likes watching sports, especially bolo- and nuna-ball, and goofing off. He hangs out on Ravlin's shoulder like a binary parrot when he's not stuttering around.
- He owns a Skipray Blastboat named the Dxun Arrow, heavily modified (not the least of which with a better navicomputer that can hold more than four jumps. YEESH!).
- Ravlin also has access to a Lancer-class pursuit craft called the Flyby Knight.

None of this matters, of course, as far as the current build stage is concerned. But hey, it's characterization.

« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2021, 05:09 PM by Ravlin Todric » Logged

Usually.
« Reply #20 on: Apr 18, 2021, 07:25 PM »
Your vibroknife is looking sharp – cool to see what that reflective tape can do!

The blasters certainly are tricky. My hope is that I will have access to a 3D printer, otherwise I may have to get creative with toy guns, too. Big props on building the helmet from scratch, look forward to seeing that come together!

I’m loving your character tidbits. Will you be making Beecher in the future?

Arco's armor concept thread: Come help me plan things out!

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"No offense, but Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

Raynos Ge'tal

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #21 on: Apr 18, 2021, 10:47 PM »
With the WOF templates for Jango, the ab plate is a little wonky, do that part after you have your torso plates shaped and formed to you, take measurements and make the ab separate and templated off of you.

I suggest for the chest armor to use the left one and then flip it over trace it again for your right, that way  you know you have 2 symmetrical and identical sized templates.

I would start with the collar plate and move you way down. you will want the collar almost touching your neck, when wearing a cotton T-shirt I like to use the edge of the neck seam on the shirt as my placement for collar plates on Modern builds.

best of luck and I like the concept

Armored Invasions Total: 32|2019: 14| 2018: 12|2017: 7|Educational Events on Record: 20| Joined 03/2017|Upgrade WIP Here
OG PRE-APP 2016

Ravlin Todric

« Reply #22 on: Apr 19, 2021, 02:32 AM »
Thanks for the tips, Raynos! I will start from the collar and work my way down. I'll have to pay attention to the CRL spacing.

With the WOF templates for Jango, the ab plate is a little wonky, do that part after you have your torso plates shaped and formed to you, take measurements and make the ab separate and templated off of you.

To confirm - you're suggesting to ignore the WOF Jango ab plate, at least the exact measurements, and instead template it based on my chest plates, their fit on me, and the CRL's spacing guidelines?

Sounds doable. Thanks for the heads-up - I can imagine that may have given me a conniption.

I’m loving your character tidbits. Will you be making Beecher in the future?

Thanks so much! Didja catch the puns in the ship names?

I'd love to make Beecher, but unfortunately he's on the very bottom of my list. I figure I'd probably use two different bowls glued together for his main chassis, but I don't know how I'd do his arms yet.

If I wanted to get really fancy, I might throw in an Arduino control for some lights and beeps. I'd have to learn all that first, and then con my programmer brother into learning it too to double-check my work. Although I suppose it'd be in-character for Beecher to randomly emit the Magic Blue Smoke....

Usually.
« Reply #23 on: Apr 19, 2021, 01:52 PM »
About the insulation foam: You can get a very hard coating on the stuff with a 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch thick layer of air-dry paperclay and seal it with wood glue. I made a set of two-foot-tall horns for a Lord Dominator cosplay with this method and have smacked them into many doorframes, and only lost a tip when I got them caught on the rafters at my local goth club. Easily repairable with more wood glue and some sanding, too. I'm not sure how it would work for something that's held in the hand.

She told me never venture out among the asteroids
But I did, I did, I did
And she said that the Milky Way was something to avoid
And I did, I did, I did
She said that Venus was too hot and Saturn not much fun
Bug-eyed monsters tended to be just a trifle dumb
She said I'd need a blaster and I'd need a freezer-gun
And I did, I did, I did...

Ravlin Todric

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2021, 02:59 AM »
Well, the scrubs for the flight suit are in, the flak vest is in the preliminary planning phase, the helmet awaits some sizing help when my family ain't so busy, and I've got a new WIP up for miscellaneous equipment.

Our clan's having a trophy workshop, so I'm makin' a Sector Ranger badge. Hence the new thread. Sneak peak at the badge:

Usually.

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2021, 02:12 PM »
I've got a pull saw or two - they're great. Coping saw is for smaller, tighter cuts.

And now, for something completely different:

It's color scheme opinion time! What does everyone think?

Flight suit is most likely pewter gray Dickie's, the plates are NOT meant to be metallic in color, and the yellow is meant to be antique gold or brass.

Made with MandoCreator.com. I reserve the right to choose my final color scheme, if that ain't obvious. :)

Should I make this a quiz thingie? Is that even an option? I'll think about it.

Thanks for the great tips so far, vode. I didn't even expect the planning to be this much fun.

Personally I would go for #4 but make the iron heart gold. I feel like an all gold collar plate would just look "off" unless you also plan to add some of your darker grey accents to it some where. Overall though, I like where your head concept is so far! And I also enjoy those little easter eggs on kits from the old school Star Wars stuff - like the Sector Range badge. As it stands currently though, I don't think you will be CRL compliant with just 1 thigh plate unless you either have a pouch on the other thigh or potentially a holster that wraps around your leg in that area but I may be wrong. That may have been mentioned previously so my apologies if that has been mentioned already but your local Ruus can chime in more on that.

Also - good choice on switching up from the MDF foam. As you mentioned though, building form scratch can be difficult and a lot of times it may be easier and or more cost effective to simply modified something cheap you found at the dollar store or local thrift store.

I have a build thread on the forums where I have taken a lot of dollar store and thrift store weapon finds and turned them into Star Warsy looking props. I believe the link should still be listed in my signature - should be the very bottom link. If not.... you should be able to find it by searching "blaster addiction"  :laugh:

« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 02:16 PM by Fenn Beviin » Logged
"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

SEE-5 blaster pistol and misc blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2021, 03:28 PM »
I'm into either #3 or Fenn's #4 idea.

She told me never venture out among the asteroids
But I did, I did, I did
And she said that the Milky Way was something to avoid
And I did, I did, I did
She said that Venus was too hot and Saturn not much fun
Bug-eyed monsters tended to be just a trifle dumb
She said I'd need a blaster and I'd need a freezer-gun
And I did, I did, I did...

Ravlin Todric

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2021, 07:26 PM »
Thanks, Fenn! I've actually been using your Blaster Addiction thread for reference and inspiration for a while. I share your capacity for weapons addiction, but have not yet built the arsenal to prove it.

As it stands currently though, I don't think you will be CRL compliant with just 1 thigh plate unless you either have a pouch on the other thigh or potentially a holster that wraps around your leg in that area but I may be wrong. That may have been mentioned previously so my apologies if that has been mentioned already but your local Ruus can chime in more on that.

It hasn't been mentioned - and now seems conspicuous in its absence. I can't find anything about that in the CRL's - just something saying certain pockets have to be removed. I do eventually want to add some iron hearts on tabs or cord - fallen family, as it were, and perhaps friends and extras (I've heard some Mercs trade them at cons) - but those details were a ways off, possibly even post-approval. (That's possible, right - adding something to your kit after being an OM, getting App Team approval on the addition without resubmitting the whole thing?)

I'm happy to put something there if I need to - perhaps a cross-draw holster or my knife sheath - and thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'll ask my clan and take a look at some more OM pictures of light/medium armors.

Thanks Syl! A lot of people like 3. I'm leaning there myself. Fenn makes an interesting observation about the collar plate - I'll check that out before I paint it.

Usually.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2021, 07:43 PM »
Personally I would go for #4 but make the iron heart gold. I feel like an all gold collar plate would just look "off" unless you also plan to add some of your darker grey accents to it some where. Overall though, I like where your head concept is so far! And I also enjoy those little easter eggs on kits from the old school Star Wars stuff - like the Sector Range badge. As it stands currently though, I don't think you will be CRL compliant with just 1 thigh plate unless you either have a pouch on the other thigh or potentially a holster that wraps around your leg in that area but I may be wrong. That may have been mentioned previously so my apologies if that has been mentioned already but your local Ruus can chime in more on that.

Also - good choice on switching up from the MDF foam. As you mentioned though, building form scratch can be difficult and a lot of times it may be easier and or more cost effective to simply modified something cheap you found at the dollar store or local thrift store.

I have a build thread on the forums where I have taken a lot of dollar store and thrift store weapon finds and turned them into Star Warsy looking props. I believe the link should still be listed in my signature - should be the very bottom link. If not.... you should be able to find it by searching "blaster addiction"  :laugh:

Thanks, Fenn! I've actually been using your Blaster Addiction thread for reference and inspiration for a while. I share your capacity for weapons addiction, but have not yet built the arsenal to prove it.

It hasn't been mentioned - and now seems conspicuous in its absence. I can't find anything about that in the CRL's - just something saying certain pockets have to be removed. I do eventually want to add some iron hearts on tabs or cord - fallen family, as it were, and perhaps friends and extras (I've heard some Mercs trade them at cons) - but those details were a ways off, possibly even post-approval. (That's possible, right - adding something to your kit after being an OM, getting App Team approval on the addition without resubmitting the whole thing?)

I'm happy to put something there if I need to - perhaps a cross-draw holster or my knife sheath - and thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'll ask my clan and take a look at some more OM pictures of light/medium armors.

Thanks Syl! A lot of people like 3. I'm leaning there myself. Fenn makes an interesting observation about the collar plate - I'll check that out before I paint it.

From the modern CRLs:

Asymmetrical armor is allowed, e.g. applicants can have only one shin, one thigh plate, or a combination of different styles, such as a separate knee and shin on one leg, and a shnee on the other.

So you are fine with just one thigh plate.

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2021, 10:29 PM »
I was going to touch on this but Tramp beat me to it. Since thighs are not required, having just one is no issue. If it were knees, you'd need both for sure.

Also adding to your kit after OM doesn't require App Team approval. Trophies and things like you're talking about usually don't need any approval but you may want to run bigger updates by your Ruus. They'll need to give the okay on armor swaps and things like that.  :)

MMCC #1484¦¦50 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan 
B.E.A.R.D.S #97 ¦ M.A.R.S. #21
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!