Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

3d printed helmet question

• 2 Replies
3d printed helmet question
« on: Mar 06, 2021, 07:01 PM »
 :vizsla:
I've got a question about my 3d printed bucket. I've printed props before but not a wearable helmet.
My helmet is very thin, a few mm @ most. Even more complicating is the points where the cheeks attach to the main helmet is a tiny joint not even as wide as my finger. I need to reinforce everything.
I've seen on some forums people using fiberglass reinforcement, which I've used on pepakura before. However some people have said the smell is too much for a bucket. Also, I'm not sure it's enough for the cheek connection. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Here are the pics. The bottom shows how thin it is, I had trouble getting my phone to focus on the near edge buy you can still see it ok

« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2021, 10:09 PM by Ultramarine81 » Logged

Joshwright

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: 3d printed helmet question
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2021, 09:24 PM »
I would use sintra behind the visor to reinforce those side areas. Also XTC3d resin on the inside and out. It's supposed to fill print lines and give strength. The smell is bad when you're applying the resin but once it's dry you won't smell it. If the resin by itself isn't enough, applying fiberglass sheets along with the resin on the inside should do the trick.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: 3d printed helmet question
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2021, 11:14 PM »
Make sure you use the reinforcement cloth when you do reinforce it with whatever resin you choose. The resin is only as strong as the base helmet if there’s no reinforcement.

QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!