Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP Tes Vevec

• 44 Replies

Rayne

• Dralshy’a Tome (Stronger Together)
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Brigades 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
Re: WIP Tes Vevec
« Reply #15 on: Apr 12, 2021, 10:06 PM »
Good luck with the flightsuit. I’m sure you’ll figure it out.

For the boots either option would be close to the reference. The Chelsea boots without the zipper have been modded many times for Din and The Armorer, also they might be more comfortable underneath plates.

For a zipper I’d say a hidden side or back would work best.  The back zipper may be easier to hide under the back plate.

Looks like your plan is coming out pretty well! Keep up the great work!

Tra'cor Clan // MMCC#1968
Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Brigade Application
« Reply #16 on: Apr 29, 2021, 02:46 PM »
Okay.....

So, I went with the boots I have on hand.

and I started making my template to cover the boots by, again, using what I have on hand. Covered with Aluminum foil and then with packing tape to hold the form and mark my outlines. Most people use the white/tan duck tape but I just bought a bunch of tape rolls. I'm also following the tutorial by welding geek for the mando boots which look very similar to the reference.

This is the dark textured leather/Vinyl I've had laying around that will cover my boots. High possibility I got this at Joann's since that's where I buy most of my fabrics but I bought this a long time ago. I have no other details on the fabric except for its texture and dark brown color. These will also be weathered with a sanding pad and probably make a bit darker in some areas. Still playing around with ideas.

Welding Geek Mandolorian boot Tutorial: https://youtu.be/tcJLdX_n9nE

As for my flight suit.....

Since I wanted to go a shade darker and a bit of purple. I did a couple of Dye tests with the pockets I ripped off the pants. Strips on the left of each pair is the Pearl Grey and the time I left it in the dye. The winner was the bottom: Quick dunk and ring out with the Hyacinth and then hung to dry. I used the hottest water I could get from the sink and poured the whole bottle in a bucket I got from the $1 store.

These are the dyes I used for the test. I went with all-purpose rather than synthetic since I didn't see it necessary with the percentage of polyester in scrubs.

Moving a bit slow in this area but I'm getting the results I want which is fantastic  :like:

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2021, 02:52 PM by Ja'Thisla Vaeen » Logged

Jennari

• "You gave up our ways, remember?"
« Reply #17 on: Apr 29, 2021, 03:00 PM »
Great job! Eager to see the rest, especially the armor.  :like:

« Reply #18 on: Apr 29, 2021, 03:02 PM »
Thanks!! I'm looking forward to getting there myself. I'm not a big fan of the soft parts and the worst has yet to come.  :laugh:

Jennari

• "You gave up our ways, remember?"
« Reply #19 on: Apr 29, 2021, 03:31 PM »
Indeed

Rayne

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Brigades 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #20 on: Apr 29, 2021, 03:39 PM »
Looks like you’re making great progress!

Your dye color looks pretty close to references.

Can’t wait to see how it all turns out!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Brigade Application
« Reply #21 on: Jun 30, 2021, 09:13 PM »
A little bit of progress.......

Don't remember if I mentioned I finished my flight suit (picture to come next posting).

Here's an update on my boots. Just finished one boot and it's ready for paint. They'll be in all black and I used whatever I had around the house for them.
My starting templates:

What I ended up with, with some tweaks, and really hoping this looks a little more to my liking after paint. What kind of painting I'm using? Have to get back to you. Suggestions welcome!!

I got my bucket, did a test coat, not liking it. Not orange enough but I did get the vent holes done using a file kit I got at Home depot for somewhere around $9.

Drilled some holes before getting that file in for the edges.

Belt, pouches, and holster should be coming soon. Just waiting for the buckle to finish it off. These are photos from Kelpie Leatherworks on Etsy.

It's so pretty I'll barely do any weathering to them.  :-\

Rayne

« Reply #22 on: Jul 01, 2021, 08:37 AM »
Glad to hear you’re making progress!

I’ve used Angelus leather paint and have pretty good success. They have it in quite a few different colors.

Your pouches and holster turned out great!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Brigade Application

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Special Weapons Shock Infantry Brigade Member EnviroOps
« Reply #23 on: Jul 01, 2021, 10:07 AM »
Dang, those leather pouches and holster a great!

I cant wait to see how the boots turn out!

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval
« Reply #24 on: Jul 01, 2021, 06:21 PM »
Glad to hear you’re making progress!

I’ve used Angelus leather paint and have pretty good success. They have it in quite a few different colors.

Your pouches and holster turned out great!

Yes making progress slowly but surely and I will definitely take a look at Angelus. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm totally impressed with the work he's done on the leatherwork. 

« Reply #25 on: Jul 01, 2021, 06:23 PM »
Dang, those leather pouches and holster a great!

I cant wait to see how the boots turn out!

Yes!! his leatherwork is amazing. Totally worth it!

« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2021, 12:25 PM by Ja'Thisla Vaeen » Logged
« Reply #26 on: Jul 04, 2021, 10:11 PM »
Painted gauntlets today. Color is perfect!!

I used this paint:

Also, finished the one boot with light weathering after painting. Followed the suggestions of getting Angelus paint. Can't thank you guys enough. Decided to keep the brown suede as is.

Will add more weathering once I finish my shin armor.

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Special Weapons Shock Infantry Brigade Member EnviroOps
« Reply #27 on: Jul 05, 2021, 12:42 PM »
Your build always gets me pumped seeing it come along. I cant wait to see how the Springs AP goes this weekend so get you further and further building.

How's the Helmet coming along?

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval
« Reply #28 on: Jul 05, 2021, 01:25 PM »
Your build always gets me pumped seeing it come along. I cant wait to see how the Springs AP goes this weekend so get you further and further building.

How's the Helmet coming along?

Thanks!

I just finished peeling off all the latex paint and sprayed a layer of chrome and the another layer when that's dry. I'm also waiting to here back from the other female that's doing this build because she has the exact color I need for the helmet. Hoping she'll share what she did.

For the AP on Saturday, I'm hoping to have all my armore templates done so Uriah can check it before cutting and I can start cutting it out.

« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2021, 01:49 PM by Ja'Thisla Vaeen » Logged

Rayne

« Reply #29 on: Jul 06, 2021, 09:07 AM »
They’re coming out nicely!
For the gauntlets, to smooth the finish and the last remaining print lines just a bit, it might be a good idea to sand with super high grit and do another coat of paint before you clear coat.

For you boots, they’re turning out pretty well.  Once you clean up the white edges of the material and the glue spot on the finish, they’ll look super close to references!

Great job!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Brigade Application

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!