Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Coming out of Retirement {WIP}

• 58 Replies

Ally93

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Coming out of Retirement {WIP}
« Reply #45 on: Jun 11, 2021, 10:24 PM »
No more floating issues. Managed to reheat and shape the chest plate a lot better even with body filler which didn't pose much of an issue thankfully.

I'll fix that wonky diamond piece tomorrow, so far I have got things sorted for attachment wise on the vest. Just need to stitch the velcro down once more.

Also I'll reattach the pieces together soon. Hopefully in the next post I make. Maybe even a few preapp photos but so far I'm not placing any bets just going with the flow haha.

Verd ori'shya beskar'gam - A warrior is more than his armor

Ally93

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #46 on: Jun 12, 2021, 10:32 PM »
Finally everything is attached and shaped properly.

Heres some quick photos.

This side chest part is floating again  :-[

Sassy pose is required lol!

Now in these photos I noticed the shoulder bells seem slightly off. idk if thats just the way I'm posing or something but I will certainly make sure they are sitting level in the pre app photos.

Now saying that I noticed the chest plate, once more, was floating a little. I didn't have this issue before hand as I had perfectly shaped the chest plate in to my body and it was sitting really well. Then I realized the problem wasn't so much of the chest part but the plate inbetween. I quickly reshaped that and you can see the difference already with a side shot and up close shot.

Fixed the floating issue.

more up close shot to show its not floating badly.

So I hope that work a bit on those shoulder bells. Not sure if its due to the chest plate being on or the way I put the vest on but I will do some investigating on it.

Besides that I believe Tuesday coming [the day after tomorrow for those outside au timezone] I shall have some pre app photos up and run through pre app team again.
This chest plate is nice and comfortable and I believe I'll be wearing this to a con in less then a weeks time.

Ally93

« Reply #47 on: Jun 14, 2021, 11:31 PM »
Finally time to show off some photos.

Some up close ones.
I know the belt looks like its touching the plates but its not.

Up close of the helmet. Vision field is really good its just sadly the early makes of the night owl that TMA made where the eyes appeared narrow.

Excuse the eww build up inside the visor you can probably see slightly.

Action shots. [because this isn't a pre app run through without some action photos]

Overall everything is comfortable and I'm happy with things.
The chest plate has taken its toll on me trying to get it to sit right and properly. But after all its finally sitting nicely.

« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2021, 11:37 PM by Ally93 » Logged

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #48 on: Jun 15, 2021, 12:42 AM »
Looking good.  :8):

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Your resident crazy cat mando
« Reply #49 on: Jun 16, 2021, 04:19 PM »
What a solid build! I really like how your cape (scarf?) and kama turned out.

Arco's armor concept thread: Come help me plan things out!

WIPs: Soft parts

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

Ally93

« Reply #50 on: Jun 16, 2021, 08:06 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Here are the weapons. I completely forgot to add them here because I've been so focused on the armor.

Sniper rifle. I removed the scope, its present in photo but I feel like the scope gives off too much of an early vibe for my liking.\
This is a heavily modded x-shot. I'm not sure of the gun type, I just picked it up at a thrift store. I've added a few components to it to give it more of a space age vibe and move it away from that x-shot look.

Spear. Pvc piping and poly piping joiners used for attachment and detachment purpose. Spear head was actually made out of a plastic kunai and I just shaped it in to the design I wanted. I believe the spear is just over 1 meter.

Typical jango Blasters, westar 34.

This is the hasbro toy which I modded so no lights, no sounds and all labels removed.

Up close photos of the gun

Some yellow is present as I noticed. I'll end up going over those areas. Considering adding some torn up bandages just for pure aesthetic looks.

Up close of the spear;

I do have a much larger gun, but sadly she was broken in half, currently fixing her up so that someday she may return to be on display with my kit at cons.

Ally93

« Reply #51 on: Jun 20, 2021, 05:34 PM »
So went to a con this weekend with my clan and had lots of fun.
Prior to con weekend I knew there were some issues.
The main issue is the chest plate but I'll work on that.

To start off with.
1.the soft parts belt is too thick and made out of leather which isn't allowing it to sit right. It's also affecting the two other belts by now allowing them to remain in their proper place. I'll be changing the belt type over in the next few days.
2. Baggy at the legs. This is an issues being caused by my boots. I'll be getting a new set of boots soon anyway as there is no zipper on the side of the current ones. It just pushes everything up and out of place.
3. The knees. I'll be adding Velcro to them since the elastic didn't hold up as I had hoped it would.
4. Chest plate. There's floating on one side and that's believed it be due to too much material. I'll be curving the corners in to see if that makes any difference but if not I'll dart them on that one side to make it all work.
5. Weapons. I realised my rifle gun is too nerf looking . I do have an approved gun so I may use that but I noticed over con that I used more melee weapons giving my Mando more of that brawler warrior type vibe. I may actually keep to this. I also need to dirty the westars up too
6. Visor.it needs to come down as even I didn't notice that the visor wasn't touching the bottom area of the helmet. .it's a very simple easy fix.

So far this is my to-do list. Once I've completed these things I will then do another set of photos. Fingers crossed

Falke

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #52 on: Jun 24, 2021, 03:58 AM »
I agree with your fix list. Your rifle would need some more modification to loose the toy look.

Good luck with your fixes!

Ally93

« Reply #53 on: Jun 26, 2021, 10:07 PM »
So fix this finally sorted to a degree. The pants were the biggest issue, they were taken in but also new boots that dont cause the flightsuit pants to bag up around the knee area has helped heaps.

Here are some pre app photos

Visor fixed as it wasn't to the base of the helmet. I also gave the helmet features a touch more detailing. Big Krayt Dragon vibes for sure.

Blasters have been dirtied up a bit.

I'm going more so for a melee vibe with my mando, a brawler but more so close combat weapons too. So I've gotten myself a new toy to play with, its the Boba Gaffi stick.

Ok now I noticed the back plate is touching the belt so I tried to sort that out but theres only a small gap between the belt and plate so I've actually pulled the bottom piece off from the layered area and currently putting it up higher so it should be slightly shorter but still within range of an approved back plate.

Another thing I am working on, and its more trial and error, is a new chest plate piece. I need something a little bigger and better to replace the top part. I did notice a slight bit of floating occurring on the good side since I fixed the other side so you know the other side has to be in the spotlight.

So I'm making chest plates using the darting method. So far its going good, I've applied body filler to them and hoping for good results sometime tomorrow.

Again I'll post more photos with better progress on this kit. With the new shoulder bells I feel a lot more confident, I just need to make sure I place everything a bit better as I have a feeling I'll be re-doing pre-app photos again once I've finished the chest and back plate which is the main concerns for me right now.

Ally93

« Reply #54 on: Jul 04, 2021, 12:15 AM »
Worked on making a new chest plate with the darting method.
Used small pvc piece, template and cut piece out. Shaped it into the right place.

I added fiberglass to the back to add support and I also used body filler to cover up the darted areas and also adds extra support to the chest plates even more so.

Applied spray paint, battle damage and the diamond piece. I did have to reshape the ab platting and also down sized it a bit too so it has a more nicer look.

I did apply 2x layers of body filler to get rid of any warped appearances too.

Now onto the next post with photos.

Ally93

« Reply #55 on: Jul 04, 2021, 12:26 AM »
Now here comes the more heavy set photos.

So back plate has been shortened so its not sitting to close or touching the belts.

An up close shot of the shoulder bells was required. Front photos make it appear as if the shoulders and collar plate are touching, but when I looked closer its kind of an odd illusion so some close up shots were required.

I think this kit is finally ready.

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Your resident crazy cat mando
« Reply #56 on: Jul 04, 2021, 01:27 AM »
Giving the chest plate multiple drafts has really paid off – there is great improvement each iteration! You can really see the difference in fit.

Very nice improvements this round. I think you’re right, this looks like the one!

Arco's armor concept thread: Come help me plan things out!

WIPs: Soft parts

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

Ally93

« Reply #57 on: Aug 02, 2021, 10:19 PM »
Woohoo heard back from the app team today and so happy with the feedback.
Theres a fix list but its not as bad as I was worried about it being.

Fix List
1: Your visor does not completely obscure the wearers face.  Please
darken or replace the visor to correct this.
2: The internal padding on your helmet needs to be trimmed up so it is
not visible from the outside.  It may also be colored black to reduce
visibility of it.
3: Knee elastic should be color matched to the flight suit. It can also
be run internally.
4: In the side view pictures we can see a significant gap between the
thigh plates and your leg. Better shaping or adjusting the position on
the leg can solve this issue.
5: While the Loin cloth has a substantial design the cape and kama do
not appear to.  We can see no hemming which would give it the desired
appearance.  Please verify that a hem or bias tape has been added to
meet the CRLs for these items.

Suggestions
- The gauntlets look to be dropping down on your hand a bit, adding some
padding will help this. There is a little bit of bunching around the
knees, making sure the flight suit legs are pulled down well before
kitting up the rest of the parts will help.

These are simple fixes, I can easily work on them all without too much hassle. Things I can do within a few days pretty much.

I have already made some updates to the armour parts, I've added velcro to the thigh armor area which has it sitting more infront and sits better. But I'll double check that before I do another set of app photos again.

I also added a bit of extra fabric to the soft parts belt to ensure that the belt doesn't end up being dragged down by the weight of the thigh armor. Also why I ended up adding velcro for added support to this area which after doing multiple tiktok videos I figured out that this is the best and secure way for the thigh plates. No saggy baggy thigh plates lol.

Expect another update on this thread in the next few days to come.

Ally93

« Reply #58 on: Aug 07, 2021, 12:54 AM »
So I fixed up pretty much everything that I needed to fix and took some more photos for the app team. However after doing the photos I noticed I still have two main issues, the visor and the leg pants.

So here are the photos first off.

I've made sure that the velcro on the thigh plates keeps them in nicely and shaped to my thigh area the best, removed the elastic off the knees but this has made the baggyness on the pants more obvious so that will be fixed with some tailoring.
I did also notice the shoulder bells were off. This is a placement issue on my part, they are attached via velcro and normally when I put my vest on I already have the shoulder pieces attached. Well...I attached them when I had the vest on which isn't the best because I cant judge the best with it being all on me. Though at least I know its not a major issue.
I also added padding inside the gauntlets and painted it black as well as painting the padding inside the helmet and trimming it down too.

As for the pants and that, I should have it all done within a day or two and get photos done soon.
Looking forward to finishing this costume off and really thankful for all the amazing support I have gotten from everyone on here about this kit.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!